What's new

Winter boots recommendation

Gents,
I've been wearing the same winter boots since Eaton's closed in 1997.
They are starting to get worn out.

Can you guys recommend some winter boots that will stand up to a Thunder Bay winter?
I'm looking for something that will be good for -40 C.

If you can give me a gold and silver level of boot that would be great.

My old pair of boots are Baffin brand boots. The standard style boot for a Canadian winter.

I kind of figured Sorel would be a given. That’s what I have been using since I was 17…….. the same pair but with replacement liners. If you are looking for something more modern my kids seem to like their Bog’s.
Johnny

I doubt they'd hold up well at -40F, but I have a pair of Anhu Elkridge Mid II boots. They are waterproof, warm (for NY temperatures) and very comfortable. I dipped my foot in a stream during some 20F weather in Central Park just to test them and my feet stayed warm and dry.

Am curious to see the results of this thread...

we got to stand in a snow bank @-45 for 45 min while loading and did not get cold.i did wear wool socks over cotton socks.

I have a pair of Muck Chore boots with the steel toe. I got them for a job where I was standing in about 4-8 inches of mud slurry when it was 10F out for 8 hours a day. I was never cold. These are the little brother to the "Arctic Sport" ones, which the company rates down to -40C. One of my coworkers bought them and they are way to warm for most Mid-Atlantic winters. Probably perfect for you though.

Durability might not be as great as a leather boot, but they are very comfortable, and very warm.

they seem durable enough,the rig workers and other truckers got several seasons out of them,and mine are a year old and just as good as new.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here are my Sorel boots. I got them back in 2004-2005 for my first camping trip to Michigan, during the winter. Couldn't tell you what temp rating they are but the keep the toes toasty.
I have pretty much only worn them to shovel and camping once a year. Held up nicely.

Here are my Sorel boots. I got them back in 2004-2005 for my first camping trip to Michigan, during the winter. Couldn't tell you what temp rating they are but the keep the toes toasty.
I have pretty much only worn them to shovel and camping once a year. Held up nicely.

I had an original pair of those with removable liners that I picked up over 15 years ago, they started leaking on me about 2 years ago and have been replaced by a pair of Sorel wool liner Caribous, which are much warmer, but not nearly as comfy walking long distances. I can speak from experience that the Sorel's will hold up in -40, they were originallly purchased for a new years eve camping trip in teh MN boundary waters. Our daily high was -20!! Over the years they've shoveled many sidewalks and stood many deer stands. I loved them, sadly I couldn't get over the fact that they lost the removable liner, which IMO is a necessity for a good winter boot. So didn't purchase the newest version.

That being said I have a pair of caribous that have a wool liner which I can honestly sit in a deer stand and not move for hours and my feet are nice and toasty. The Conquest (pictured) needed a good toe warmer pac if you weren't being somewhat active. However, the Caribous are not comfortable to walk in long distances IMO of course.
I have heard very good things about the muc boots as well, they are getting a very good reputation amongst hunters/farmers. My uncle swears by them, he is/was a dairy farmer.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I had an original pair of those with removable liners that I picked up over 15 years ago, they started leaking on me about 2 years ago and have been replaced by a pair of Sorel wool liner Caribous, which are much warmer, but not nearly as comfy walking long distances. I can speak from experience that the Sorel's will hold up in -40, they were originallly purchased for a new years eve camping trip in teh MN boundary waters. Our daily high was -20!! Over the years they've shoveled many sidewalks and stood many deer stands. I loved them, sadly I couldn't get over the fact that they lost the removable liner, which IMO is a necessity for a good winter boot. So didn't purchase the newest version.

That being said I have a pair of caribous that have a wool liner which I can honestly sit in a deer stand and not move for hours and my feet are nice and toasty. The Conquest (pictured) needed a good toe warmer pac if you weren't being somewhat active. However, the Caribous are not comfortable to walk in long distances IMO of course.
I have heard very good things about the muc boots as well, they are getting a very good reputation amongst hunters/farmers. My uncle swears by them, he is/was a dairy farmer.

If those are the Conquest I have in the photo then they are rated -60 according to Zappos.
No wonder why my feet sweat in them!

they seem durable enough,the rig workers and other truckers got several seasons out of them,and mine are a year old and just as good as new.

Yeah, they're still tough, but I would be surprised if you got 15 years out of a Muck boot. Rubber will crack or puncture more easily while a properly cared for leather can stay supple for a long time. The Muck boots also aren't resolable as far as I know.

That all said, I still swear by them. They're zero maintenance, tough, and most importantly very comfortable and effective.

Top Bottom