What's new

First Razor

Hello all! I am looking to purchase my first straight razor. I am thinking of a Thiers Issard, however i am looking for suggestions as to a first straight. I am looking to spend up to about 200$, and am open to both new or vintage pieces. Please help me!

If you want new and to support USA craftsmen, then I would suggest a Portland. PRC are getting very good reviews on this site.

There is nothing wrong with the TI, a good choice too. However, if you want antique then very nice straights can be picked up for that money, indeed you could easily get a couple :)

If you want new and to support USA craftsmen, then I would suggest a Portland. PRC are getting very good reviews on this site.

There is nothing wrong with the TI, a good choice too. However, if you want antique then very nice straights can be picked up for that money, indeed you could easily get a couple :)
I was looking at them and they looked beautiful, but was not positive about their shaving performance as i could not find much about them. Looks like i will try one!

The most important thing about a first straight razor is that is Shave Ready. New or Vintage doesn't really matter, as long as you get it honed by one of the reputable Honemeister from here, Doc226 (Alfredo) has a very good reputation for wicked edges, for your budget I would suggest sending him a PM and he can help you pick a nice vintage (or two) from his stock.

I would also suggest starting with mid size blade, 5/8 or 6/8, and a round or muted toe (no square points or french points), other than that any sharp piece of steel should be good for the ride, go for what best pleases your eye.

Good luck, share your progress and welcome to the dark side :thumbup1:

I just picked up a Ralf Aust for under $200 and I have to say it is a great shaver....I have also heard good things about the Portland Razor Co. I know it is tuff trying to find just the right razor, but there is a lot of good info here on the forum and I would also keep a check in for sale thread here at B&B....As far as size goes, that is kind of a personal thing, but I started off with a 7/8 Spanish point and love it...Good luck on your search!

Finding "the right" razor is a separate journey all in itself. The good news is that any straight that is honed up nice and sharp will work to start learning the skills and techniques you'll need. Those are needed, in my opinion, before you can really find "the one" razor, most times. Simply because until you have those skills and experience, it's super difficult to know for sure what qualities and subtle differences you are looking for. Jimps? Not jimps? Monkey tail tang? Shorter blade? Wider? The list goes on even more. lol

In the end, pick up what appeals to you, and enjoy the journey of learning to shave with them. :thumbup:

Your PRC will come "Shave Ready". Scott makes them one at a time. A quality made USA straight razor at an attractive price point.

Last edited:
I always recommend my first straight, which was a bit below your clip. The Boker Silver Steel is a great, elegant razor to learn on. I have a big TI, but prefer this Boker.

You won't know what you love to use until you tried it.

I like square points and heavier grinds. I don't find a difference between square or round point razors for cuts and prefer it for keeping track of the tip near the ears/nose/lips. But these are personal choices. I "started" with a Hart razor (a little above your budget) but heard good things of the Portland razors being similar feeling (for less coin).

If you're starting on a budget: consider a Gold Dollar (from a reputable vendor) or Whipped Dog as your first - and pick a second "nicer" razor. If all else: be absolutely certain that your new razor is sharp (Shave Ready). I've heard good things of Buca (Gold Dollars) and Larry at WD is a great guy. Having two razors will give you that backup if you need to send it out for honing or compare edges to see how your stropping is coming along. It'll also give you a less expensive razor to learn to hone.

Last edited:
Don't worry too much about "shave ability" of any particular brand. Most any razor, from a Gold Dollar up to a Filarmonica will give an excellent shave. The important part is having it honed well, and to your preferences.

I would suggest not spending your full $200 budget on a single razor, but by a couple or three for that much, wit's some variety to your selection to find out what you like. Or rather what suits your preference for the day. they're all nice. Some days you may want a big wedge, other days a 5/8 full hollow...etc..

Top Bottom