What's new

Johnston & Murphy sizing vs Alden Indy sizing

I plan to order some Alden Indy's but won't be able to try them on first. I have a pair of year old J&M loafers that're size 11 and probably 1/2 size too large as well as a 5+ year old J&M oxfords that are 11's and fit perfectly (go figure). With all that said, I'm thinking of ordering size 10 Indy's. Am I on track? I realize there's no way to know for sure unless I try them on, but speculating is part of the fun, no?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I went a half size down. Be sure you can return them for a different size - preferably with you not paying the shipping.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I wear 10D in J&M Aristocraft and Crown Aristocraft models and 9E Aldens on the Barrie last and 9.5E on the Aberdeen last.

I have had several pairs of J&M shoes over the years and I've worn a 12 D in all of those, although if anything they have been on the slightly large side. I measure somewhere between 11.5 D and 12 D on the Brannock device. I tried 11 D in the Alden Indy boots because I had a pair of Alden PTB's on the Barrie last in size 11 D. The Indy boots were just a little too uncomfortable for my little toe, although they fit well everywhere else. I ended up getting another pair of Indy boots in size 11.5 D and those are what I'm sticking with..... but keep in mind that I wear thicker socks with my Indy boots compared to my J&M shoes which I mostly where thinner dress socks with.

All that said, I'd say I'm approximately a half size down in the Indy boot compared to my J&M shoes. I tried going down a full size and it didn't quite work.

Ben

Great feedback, thanks. At the suggestion SWMBO, I ended up odering two different sizes and am hopeful one will work out. I'll return the other. I feel somewhat guilty doing this, but again SWMBO thinks it's a great idea.....and you know how that goes! Very excited to receive my first pair of Aldens.

Top Bottom