What's new

Do you straight while traveling?

So early next month I'm going to be traveling for a week. I've been strictly shaving with a straight for the last month but I'm unsure what to do for the week I'm gone as I'll be flying and hoteling it.

Take a cheap straight in checked luggage?

Go back to a DE for the week? If so, can you take DE blades in carry on, or do you have to go the checked route?

I've a DE for travel. And electric if I have to carry on an airplane.

I've thought about taking the shavette next time but since I typically travel for work that id rather have a lesser chance of nicks with the DE

I've been taking a cheap straight in checked luggage. I can see sometime in the future just roughing it with a couple of disposable Bics. It's been almost 15 months since I've used anything but a straight. It might be kind of fun to shave 'the old way' a few times just for kicks.

I travel a lot and I always pack a pair of razors with me.
Two lesson learned:
1/ stainless is better as the razor might stay a while in proximity to a not so dry brush
2/ don't pack something irreplaceable. Most of the time, I take a Titan, because I can always get another one new, if the baggage get lost. One time I thought TSA had confiscated a Thiers Issard and a Wapienica and that tought me a lesson about what could have happen (the razor were both recovered - it turned out I had left them out of the bag, not in).
$travel_kit.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Yep. If I fly I take a honed up GD in my checked luggage. If I am on the road I have a shorty razor I made. I have a strop that fits in my Dopp kit, a wee scot brush...

I love the travel shave.

I take a cheaper straight on travel, checked into my luggage. Also a cheap strop comes too. I did have a feather for travel but it is actually way more expensive than many of my straights! Cheaper brush, stick too.

Ivdo not know for sure but I would expect that de blades need to be checked in. When I did travel with my feather, I sent the blades by mail to myself at the destination. Too much hassle actually so only did it the once.

DE blades need to be checked (or mailed) you can not put them in your carry-on luggage.

Since you just started with the SR, I would suggest a cheap disposable or the DE, unless you have plenty of time before/after your day, either way, pack a cheap setup just in case it's lost or confiscated.

I travel a lot and I always pack a pair of razors with me.
Two lesson learned:
1/ stainless is better as the razor might stay a while in proximity to a not so dry brush
2/ don't pack something irreplaceable. Most of the time, I take a Titan, because I can always get another one new, if the baggage get lost. One time I thought TSA had confiscated a Thiers Issard and a Wapienica and that tought me a lesson about what could have happen (the razor were both recovered - it turned out I had left them out of the bag, not in).
Very nice travel kit :thumbup:. Strop?

Yep. If I fly I take a honed up GD in my checked luggage. If I am on the road I have a shorty razor I made. I have a strop that fits in my Dopp kit, a wee scot brush...

I love the travel shave.

Yes! The travel shave is a wonderful thing!

I do, these will be joining me tomorrow for the holiday.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416926643371.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416926643371.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 170
I de shave when traveling. I've tried to work out the logistics of straight travel, but it just isn't feasible for me. the strop was the biggest space issue

I don't understand this.

The strop is flat, and all of about 1/8" thick. Just lay ity between a couple layers of shirts on your suitcase and go.

I always bring my regular kit with me. I never understood the logic of a "travel" brush, nor a "travel" strop. A regular brush isn't that much larger than a travel sized one, and as per stated above, a full sized strop takes up about as much room in a suitcase as a magazine.

I never understood the logic of a "travel" brush, nor a "travel" strop. A regular brush isn't that much larger than a travel sized one, and as per stated above, a full sized strop takes up about as much room in a suitcase as a magazine.
For me the travel brush is a synthetic one because they dry faster.
The travel strop is a regular one, just my most beat up one.
Space and weight are indeed not an issue.

Top Bottom