What's new

Newbie in need of stone advice!

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased my first straight razor, got everything I need except the honing stone/s. My father already had a brand new dragons tongue stone that he purchased for his knives, but has never used it.

Dragons Tongue Stone

Now my problem is what other stones to buy, ideally I would like a range of stones because I bought a vintage Kropp razor that needs some work and I thought it would be quite a fun project to practice my honing skills before I use my newer razor which does not need much work.

Correct me if I am wrong but these are my ideas:

a) Buy the King 1000/6000 stone and use that as well as the Dragons Tongue Stone above
b) Buy the Norton 4000/8000
c) Buy the Naniwa specialty stones, the 1000/3000 stone and the 6000 stone

Could somebody please steer me in the right direction?

Thank you!
Dave.

Welcome to the club, Dave. Glad to have you aboard. You will probably have more success in getting answers if you ask your question in the General Straight Razor Talk forum where the straight razor gents hang out.

Visit the straight section, I am in the same boat as you, I currently have a Apache strata for refreshes and will need to get stones all the way up to the 12K Apache so I have been looking at Norton as well from my limited knowledge I will need to progress from a 1k stone bevel setter to the 12k finisher but if the straight you have now is shave ready all you currently need is a good strop

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Maybe I should have introduced myself a little better before bombarding the wrong section of the forum with questions.

I'll take my question to the right place but in the mean time I'll quickly introduce myself. Im Dave, 21 from the UK and I now own four straight razors which to be brutally honest is more than the number of facial hairs that I can grow. But I like collecting and they fascinate me, I plan on restoring a few razors also.

Welcome to the forum!

I would also echo the sentiments, above, to visit and ask in the Straight Razor section.

You would want a stone in higher progression than the Norton 4000/8000 to finish your razors on such as a Coticule, Thurigan, Charnely Forest, Jnat, or such. Which one you get is a personal preference.
Personally, I had never heard of your Dragon Stone, before.
Good luck.

Welcome Dave,

I have bought the three hone set from the same vendor (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELSH-SLA...rber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item2a4024ace3)

And I complemented it with the King combination stone grit 1000/6000, for setting a bevel you need at least a 1k hone, and I would recommend a finer grid than 8K for finishing. I'm definitely no expert, but this is what I use for my sharpening my SRs for my daily shaves.

Check the honing section, tons of info there.

Top Bottom