What's new

1960's vs 2014 Rolex mechanisms, huge difference in accuracy?

Let's say we were to make today an exact copy of a 1960's high end watch mechanism, how would it compare accuracy-wise to the high end mechanisms of today?

The difference (if it's even measurable) is so small that if you actually care about it, you shouldn't be wearing a mechanical watch.

I am using the latest GMT model and i own a 1967 GMT (and a explorer during the 90s).I can say that is a significant difference in accuracy in favor of the new model .The new 3186 movement is equipped with a Parachrom spring that gives a great advantage over the older models.

I had two fairly new Rolex watches that only required monthly settings. I have a Petek Philippe, Calatrava, 5119, which I wind daily, that maintains almost quartz accuracy. I also have a 50+ year old Omega, Seamaster, automatic which I keep on a winder that will almost stay with the Patek.

Ron I

I believe that any high quality watch can be regulated and adjusted to a high degree of accuracy. While some of the advancements made, blue hair spring, higher beat movements, have increased accuracy, the amounts are unlikely to be noticed by the casual wearer.
I don't believe the COSC specs have changed since that time.

Interesting question. I would have to assume that manufacturing techniques and precision of parts has improved over the past 50 yeas which should yield more accurate watches. Si?

Interesting question. I would have to assume that manufacturing techniques and precision of parts has improved over the past 50 yeas which should yield more accurate watches. Si?

While technically true, the reality is that in the 60's (and long before then) even medium-end watches were extremely accurate when properly regulated. As long as we're comparing high-end to high-end, you'd probably have to go back somewhere into the 1800s (i.e. predating jewel bearings) to notice a real difference.

It's sort of like asking "if we compared a high-quality straight razor made in 1900 with one made today with modern materials, which one would give a better shave?" The answer is that if both were equally well sharpened and stropped (equivalent to regulating a watch), you probably wouldn't be able to find a real difference between them. Yes, the new one will have a finer grain structure and more stain resistance and blah blah blah, but if the old one was already an excellent shaver then any improvement is difficult to quantify.

The reason I specified "make today an exact copy of a 1960's high end watch mechanism" was to avoid comparing a mechanism with sixty years of wear and tear to something brand new.

Just wondering if there is a substantial increase in precision in the new movements with respect to the size/weight increase they require inside the case (not talking about the blingbling monstrosities of the past few years)

Top Bottom