What's new

Back to the drawing board after 5 months

Ugh. What a bummer. This morning I had what I thought was a nice shave. Did my usual routine and passes, felt the face, nice and smooth. Enjoyed my coffee feeling manly and went on my way.

At work today, I glanced in the mirror and noticed that I had missed spots on my chin, my cheeks, my neck, and my upper lip. So basically, I thought I had a good shave, but definitely did not. I figured my mirror was to blame, so I came home and got a vanity mirror to help me see better.

I took a shower, lathered up, and commenced to shaving. The only direction I could use to get smooth was ATG. Now I have something like 10 weepers and I noticed in the mirror that my neck is red and blotchy. It never felt irritated, but I guess it is.

And here I thought I was making such progress. Maybe I have been fooling myself this whole time? :bored:

Edit: I guess I should note that I used a slim on 7, which is a new razor for me and a new setting. I will try this whole thing again on Wednesday or Thursday with my EJ89 and see if a less aggressive razor would work better for against the grain passes.....

Last edited:
Ugh. What a bummer. This morning I had what I thought was a nice shave. Did my usual routine and passes, felt the face, nice and smooth. Enjoyed my coffee feeling manly and went on my way.

At work today, I glanced in the mirror and noticed that I had missed spots on my chin, my cheeks, my neck, and my upper lip. So basically, I thought I had a good shave, but definitely did not. I figured my mirror was to blame, so I came home and got a vanity mirror to help me see better.

I took a shower, lathered up, and commenced to shaving. The only direction I could use to get smooth was ATG. Now I have something like 10 weepers and I noticed in the mirror that my neck is red and blotchy. It never felt irritated, but I guess it is.

And here I thought I was making such progress. Maybe I have been fooling myself this whole time? :bored:

Edit: I guess I should note that I used a slim on 7, which is a new razor for me and a new setting. I will try this whole thing again on Wednesday or Thursday with my EJ89 and see if a less aggressive razor would work better for against the grain passes.....
SO how was the Ej89 shave, any better?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My guess with a new razor and missed spots would be angle. You'll get it - it takes a while to get comfortable with new equipment.

It happens. I always run my hands over my face to see what I've missed after 3 passes. Targeted shaving does the trick. Also if you are brave try running the blade under cold water after cleansing your face and clean up those spots. It works for me :)

i was having a very similar experience to what you describe. My first sojourn with DE shaving lasted 6 months and I finally gave in and went back to my mach 3 and foamy aerosol. Now after about a year’s hiatus I have started all over again, only more slowly and methodically this time. I hope that with the benefit of the experience of the members on this forum and a lot of patience and trial and error that I will be more successful this time. Try not be be discouraged and remember that this is for your pleasure and enjoyment. Best of Luck! :)

that used to happen to me when i used to use a de razor i switched to a shavette and i been getting better shaves it prob was my technique that was horrible with the de n i was scared with the shavette so i payed more attention with it who knows maybe 1 day ill try the de razor again n see how it goes

Whenever you get a new razor it's like starting over again with regards to pressure and especially angle. Do what you did when you first started: hold the razor with the handle perpendicular to your face, and ease it down until you hear it just beginning to cut. I'm willing to bet that the new razor wants a different angle than the old one.

It also means trying blades again, for the blades that worked well for you with your previous razor may not work well at all in the new one.

Best of luck!

Top Bottom