What's new

What's a good SE to start with?

I have been thinking about trying a vintage SE razor. Would someone recommend a good one to start with? How do the prices run on these? I know there are different degrees of aggression. How about something in the middle somewhere.

I would suggest a 1911 model, either the Gem or Ever-Ready version - they are almost identical. This is the standard to which other SE's are compared. As a bonus, they are readily available for next to nothing.

--Bob

1912 ... all comparisons revolve around this razor.

Cheap as chips and a great shave in practically any condition.

Jump in and have fun!

just used my 1949 g for the first time with a new blade. omg, felt like a straight. closest shave I have ever done and not sure if I want to again. got a mongoose on order and now seem tentative.

I just did a quick eBay search for "Gem 1912 Razor" with a $20 price cap and got 45 hits. This is just the tip of the iceberg, as many (most?) sellers will just list "Vintage Gem Razor" or some such with no model designation. And of course it doesn't include the Ever Readys.

--Bob

I picked up a nice clean Ever Ready for less than $8 recently, as well as a nice Valet AutoStrop for about $6.50. These have little to no plating issues and were a bargain as far as I'm concerned. SE bargains came as a very welcome surprise after some of the prices being asked for DE razors at the moment.

I picked up a nice clean Ever Ready for less than $8 recently, as well as a nice Valet AutoStrop for about $6.50. These have little to no plating issues and were a bargain as far as I'm concerned. SE bargains came as a very welcome surprise after some of the prices being asked for DE razors at the moment.
Brilliant! Go get 'em :)

Top Bottom