What's new

Anyone familiar with the traditional way that Japanese shave, especially Zen monks?

Greetings,
Anyone familiar with the traditional way that Japanese shave? I'm just starting to become familiar with the traditional way that Americans (westerners) shave, but know nothing about how Japanese (easterners) shave and would like to know. I'm especially interested in the way Japanese Zen Buddhist Monks traditionally shave because they have to maintain a clean-shaven appearance around the clock including a bald head (not just whiskers only). So surely they had elevated it to a high art form. It would be most interesting to learn from them.
Thank you

A dip in an onsen (hot springs) would be a good start.

But monks may not have been allowed luxuries like that. A few years back I saw an exhibition of Japanese prints: views of Mount Fuji and so on. I remember one with a Buddhist nun shaving her head. As far as I recall she was using nothing but a kamisori (razor) and water, possibly some oil.

This is a very good question because many people do not know this. They use electric razors powered by chi.

Wow, a question I can answer!
About fifteen years ago, I lived near a monastery (Soto zen) where 15-20 monks lived. I got to know the head monk and his assistant. I once asked this exact question. They shaved once a week (face and head) on the big "cleaning day". They used an electric razor! They said it was the least wasteful and the least fuss. Keep in mind that most Japanese do not have heavy or fast-growing beards. They always looked as smooth as billiard balls to me. I occasionally saw elderly monks visiting who had shaved heads, but also beards.

I recall reading that long ago a monk was allowed only thre possessions: a bowl for food, robes to wear, and a razor to shave with. I'm sure that was representative of one group but maybe not all. And of course going electric nowadays makes sense.

Now it's probably down to the bowl and robes...the razor was the temple's!

I recall reading that long ago a monk was allowed only thre possessions: a bowl for food, robes to wear, and a razor to shave with. I'm sure that was representative of one group but maybe not all. And of course going electric nowadays makes sense.

Yep, I'm afraid they would see our hobby as waaay too much attachment ...to clean-shaven ness, to razors, to physical sensation. Zen didn't have a strong pull on me once I really looked into it.

Wax on, wax off.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Besides, somebody was gonna toss that one out sooner or later. Interesting thread.

On one of the PBS shows about Budda, they showed children who were entering the monastery having their head shaved by a Monk using a single edge, Pal or Gem type blade held in their fingers. No razor, just the blade. Possible, but not something I would try on myself or anyone else.

Top Bottom