What's new

Blades, blades, blades

I recently purchased a Merkur HD razor and some sampler blades and Proraso pre-shave cream, hard shaving soap, aftershave lotion and of course, styptic gel. I"m not cutting myself too much, but even though I'm doing a shower, prep, Omega Synthetic brush and WTG and ATG passes, I'm not getting the closeness I'd like. I've tried the Merkur Super the razor came with and Derby so far. Wilkinson and Dorco are left. I don't really have the time in the morning to shave with the HD given my skills-or lack thereof-but I don't want to go back to a multi-blade even though I think I got a closer shave. I appreciate any advice about blades, etc. Thanks.

According to this ShaveWiki article, the Merkur HD (I think this is the 34c?) is mild razor. As such, you could try a more aggressive razor.

You could also check out tryablade.com and consider some different blades that might work better for you. I'm still experimenting with blades myself, and I don't have a recommendation.

I have never tried Merkur or Dorco blades, but they do not get a lot of love here. Skip the rest of those and go to the Wilkinson Swords.

Also try some Astra SP's and Gillette Silver Blues.

Some guys here pair a mild razor with a sharp blade for very good resluts.

Good luck.

What I'm about to say may be considered a wet shaving sin. Do not take it as advice or as an endorsement but use it however you feel appropriate:

You have probably heard the phrase "no pressure" being repeated all over the forums, on how-to videos, in blogs, and instructional guides. It's highly stressed that NO PRESSURE should be added, but to instead let the weight of the razor do all the work. Well, that doesn't work very well for me. I, at times, appy some pressure. It helps me get a closer cut.

What I'm about to say may be considered a wet shaving sin. Do not take it as advice or as an endorsement but use it however you feel appropriate:

You have probably heard the phrase "no pressure" being repeated all over the forums, on how-to videos, in blogs, and instructional guides. It's highly stressed that NO PRESSURE should be added, but to instead let the weight of the razor do all the work. Well, that doesn't work very well for me. I, at times, appy some pressure. It helps me get a closer cut.

Agree. I think what they are saying is, "Use no pressure compared with the pressure you are used to applying with a multi-blade system. " And that is good advice. Of course, a little pressure needs to be used, if only to insure an accurate straight line across your face. It's akin to saying "Apply no pressure when using a fountain pen. " Well, if you use no pressure, you'll get a wobbly line. The idea is to apply much LESS pressure than you're accustomed to using with a ballpoint.

I get a really close shave with the 34c.
Try Labs or Voshkods and of course be patient as your technique improves.
Cheers,

Is it possible your angle is off? The usual advice is to start with the head flat against your skin and the handle perpendicular, then slowly lower the handle towards your face till the blade starts to cut.

Is it possible your angle is off? The usual advice is to start with the head flat against your skin and the handle perpendicular, then slowly lower the handle towards your face till the blade starts to cut.
+1
That's it! Any new/newer blade is capable of giving you a close shave with that razor (I have the same razor head and is one of my go-to's). Take a look at the angle wiki, those pics at the bottom are very useful.

Last edited:
I should correct my original post. I shave WTG and XTG, not ATG. That would rip up my face given my lack of technique. Last night I was using a pretty aggressive angle, almost the same I would use with a multi-blade using the Wilkinson Swords. I also used a little more pressure. I took kyle's advice and bought a few Feathers, Gillette SP's and Asta SP's from tryablade.com. I haven't tried the Dorco.

The Proraso after shave lotion knocks down the razor burn well. I'm wondering though if pre-shave oil might be better than the Proraso cream. I had gotten some travel Art of Shaving packs on zullilly which come with oil, shaving cream and after shave. Maybe I'll try that.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're relatively new to this game, in which case you need to focus more on technique than blade, IMHO.
I find that any ole blade gives a decent shave if technique is good.
So...buy cheapos like Dorco, Shark or Astra. Stick with one for now, but enjoy trying different soaps and creams as your technique develops. Then, when you've consistency (can be a few months!), revisit the blade options and maybe try some sampler packs to hone in on what suits you best.
Just one guy's view, 10 months into this great journey.
For what it's worth I just use one blade, one razor and two brushes (one boar, one badger), but I sure have fun playing around with the software. And I now get consistently close shaves with seldom a weeper or nick.

I have been shaving in the evening, but that's two showers a day--relaxing for sure--but a little hard on the skin. I'm going to keep working at the technique. I've only shaved with the razor a handful of times.

This, exactly this.

I see that you ordered Feather blades. I, myself would recommend holding off on trying those. They are among the sharpest blades out there. I have one and haven't tried it yet (I have been shaving with DEs for about three months). It may be hard to get a BBS without going ATG, but I'm sure it can be done.

I've improved my technique since I started this thread. I like Personna Reds as my blade of choice. Pulling the skin and being careful has helped tremendously, as had good shaving products.

I have found that the Merkur usually does well with a mild blade even though it is a mild razor. Also I found that using a more aggressive razor blade changes the agressiveness of the razor. I think for now you should stick to a middle ground razor blade such as Astra, Sharks, personnal reds if a derby or dorco isn't working. Also if you don't have all that much time to shave in the morning (depending on growth rate) you could shave at night. If you have growth in the morning you could do a quick single pass shave. I shave at night and don't get a 5 o'clock shadow until the late afternoon.

I have some Dorco and some Derby blades from my original sampler pack, but haven't tried Sharks. I really like the Personna Reds and have also tried the Med Prep. I like the Feathers, but straight stainless steel without a platinum coating produces more irritation.

My routine, after showering, is Pacific Shaving or Shave Secret Oil followed by bowl lathering with either shaving soap or cream (tend to use cream more often), shaving following by Shea Moisture Tea Tree Herbal Bump Preventer, followed by shaving balm and then a moisturizer. Lately I've been using Truefitt & Hill No. 10 products. I like the Proraso Red shaving cream too. I've dispensed with the Alum block because my skin reacted to it.

Top Bottom