What's new

Morris & Forndran L7 Jade in Super 23mm - First Use

The first use of a badger hair shaving brush is more of a break in than anything worthy of data accumulation. As a result, first use threads are not key indicators, and are primarily designed to help you understand what to expect on your maiden voyage. All first uses will be in a shaving scuttle to minimize variables.

Morris & Forndran L7, Nate's Straight 11/16, C&S Oxford & Cambridge

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge Traditional Lavender was an easy choice, given the minimal "badger funk" smell - the C&S could really shine through, and coat the badger brush in its intoxicating scent.

A soak for 90 timed seconds in a scuttle filled with hot tap water

A turn and swirl half way through the 90 second window to ensure the water is fully drenching the knot

Water poured out and the brush given a good shake

Damp brush ready to build lather

In just a few quick turns, lather begins to build

10 swirls later and the brush is well loaded - it's ready to head to the scuttle

5 swirls in the scuttle

10 more swirls

Ready for your face in no time

One quick "paint" on the hand

Initial thoughts: This handle shape is surprisingly ergonomic. The brush is quite dense and has a great, soft face feel which is consistent across the brush, thanks to the uniform knot conformation. Brush head has a small to mid sized canopy, with moderate canopy distortion, yet adequately firm foundation. A wide canopy channel offers a proportionally large capacity to hold lather. Solid performance, based on channel capacity in combination with solid canopy and foundation release. This brush performs above its diminutive classification as a small brush (under 22mm knot).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Joel - already enjoy the use of the new terminology very much and anticipate a revolution in brush reviews!

Joel, so are all of the brushes going to be used in a scuttle? I would imagine that this would be different for those who face-lather. :biggrin1:

Do you have soft water Joel?

Exact water details (hot water tap temp, PH, etc) and water test kit will be shared in subsequent posts.

Joel, so are all of the brushes going to be used in a scuttle? I would imagine that this would be different for those who face-lather. :biggrin1:

You're one step ahead of me. Test criteria hasn't been posted yet, it's forthcoming. While the brushes will be broken in on their first use with whatever product suits my mood, subsequent uses will be limited to a consistent lineup of test product. There will be a hard triple milled tallow based soap - Czech & Speake, a hard triple milled non-tallow soap - Truefitt & Hill, a soft soap - RazoRock, and an English cream - D.R. Harris. For testing purposes, the tallow based soaps will be lathered on my face, the other two - in a scuttle. As you could imagine, the pictures are fewer, less interesting and less consistent for face lathering, so you'll be relying on more commentary than in the scuttle based scenarios.

Joel- thanks for doing these reviews. I am looking forward to all the future installments. The pictures are wonderful and your style in reviewing the brushes brings out the details, facts and your personal thoughts. I feel like I have discovered a new author who is writing a "series". I like smaller knots and love the handle on the M&F!

Appreciate the review Joel. The M&F L7 sounds like a nice brush, based on preliminary results. Didn't realize the knot is as small as it is.

John

Appreciate the review Joel. The M&F L7 sounds like a nice brush, based on preliminary results. Didn't realize the knot is as small as it is.

John

The L7 comes in 3 sizes (small, medium, large). The 22mm is the small version. Most models from M&F and Rooney do offer the 3 size options.

Top Bottom