What's new

Morris & Forndran L7 Jade in Super 23mm - Arrival

Price$157 USD (100GBP)
ModelMorris & Forndran L7
ColorJade
MFR GradeSuper

Presentation0/10

Brushes come wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap, hit with a piece or two of scotch tape, then stuffed in a shipping envelope. I'll save the "unboxing" pictures from this one, as it's uninspiring. For a brush this expensive, it's a bit of a letdown. This is particularly surprising, since the free puck of Morris & Forndran soap that comes with the brush is adorned in handmade paper, and commands a regal look and feel. This branded handmade paper would look great as a wrapper for Morris & Forndran shaving brushes and offer a neat opening experience for the first owner. Unfortunately, at this price range the scotch tape and bubble wrap don't cut it and it cheapens the experience.

Appearance8.5/10

The handle is polished to a rich gloss and the Morris & Forndran text is sharply silkscreened on. The font is rich yet playful and carries with it, a timeless swagger.

The L7 has an eyeful of curvy, seductive lines.

The faux jade handle material is comprised of a mix of white, orange, and green hues.

Further complicating the mystery that is shaving brush badger hair grading, this "Super" is labeled "Blonde Badger" which typically corresponds to a two banded Morris & Forndran shavbing brush, with strawberry blond tips. Clearly, this has been labeled Blonde Badger in error.

Knot Density8/10

The knot is densely packed, more so than the average high-end brush, or the other examples of Morris & Forndran brushes I've handled.

Measurements

Knot21.52mm

Pre-Bloom Canopy40.41mm

Loft41.92mm

Total:16.5/30

CLICK TO VIEW THE FIRST USE OF THIS BRUSH

Last edited by a moderator:
A new sub category woop. Its a lovely looking brush, odd about the labelling and packaging too. Thanks for the review! I look forward to more.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
A new sub category woop. Its a lovely looking brush, odd about the labelling and packaging too. Thanks for the review! I look forward to more.

In my experience outside the M&F Group Buy, that's typical packaging from Lee. It's probably best that he stuck with his usual practice rather than upgrade it for PR purposes in this context. To be honest, when I got my first brush directly from Lee, which was also a faux jade L7, I was more than a little unsettled by the packaging. But my ultimate satisfaction with that particular brush ended up making the wrapper it came in seem a very minor thing. I'm not pitching here, just sayin'.

As for the label, I've concluded "Blonde Badger" and "Finest" are both fairly broad classifications that are often applied in a fairly ad hoc (if not at times random) manner. Every M&F I've seen was one or the other. I think "Blonde" refers to the color of the tips of some knots Lee was using when he adopted that usage. I suppose it can apply to 3-band as well as 2-band.

Last edited:
Beautiful brush and handle!

Quick question for ChiefBroom, Joel, and others: Is there really such a thing as Two Banded badger hair? I realize that there are two and three banded badger brushes, but I've also heard that some of this is just a function of the handle covering the third band. Not trying to be controversial or provocative, just trying to learn.

Thanks.
John

Beautiful brush and handle!

Quick question for ChiefBroom, Joel, and others: Is there really such a thing as Two Banded badger hair? I realize that there are two and three banded badger brushes, but I've also heard that some of this is just a function of the handle covering the third band. Not trying to be controversial or provocative, just trying to learn.

Thanks.
John

I don't see anything controversial about this question. Yes, the handle covers the 3rd band in a 2-band badger brush. This is due to the hair in these knots having a much wider middle band versus the hair found in a 3-band brush. So yes all hair technically has 3-bands. At least this is my understanding.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I don't see anything controversial about this question. Yes, the handle covers the 3rd band in a 2-band badger brush. This is due to the hair in these knots having a much wider middle band versus the hair found in a 3-band brush. So yes all hair technically has 3-bands. At least this is my understanding.

I don't either, and that's my understanding as well. Many of my 2-band brushes have a bit of 3rd band showing just above the handle socket. And I suspect some very short-lofted 2-band brushes would have ended up being 3-band if they'd been sunk less deep.

That said, 2-band hair typically has distinguishable characteristics, importantly including more backbone at a given loft with less density, which, in the best examples (given my preferences), retains softness at the tips.

Indeed, beautiful brush. :tongue_sm

Would someone please share with me where I can see the Morris & Forndran line of brushes and where do I order one from? :blink:

Top Bottom