What's new

New guy to wet shaving and the forum

Hey all,
I am brand new to the wet shaving world and so far I am liking the looks of things. My introduction to wet shaving began initially when I discovered my grandfathers George Wosteholm & Son No. 149 Pipe Razor. I touched it up and put it away and didn't think much of it or do any research about the company. Frankly I thought it had to do with cleaning out a pipe since tip had a bit of an curve and my grandfather was a pipe smoker. Recently one of my friends decided he was going to learn how to shave with a straight razor, he went the cheap route and bought a Sweeney Todd razor. Somehow he managed to shave once or twice without too much discomfort with that oversized and overly heavy razor(how I don't know, that blade was the farthest thing from smooth and polished, it was like a saw and just sharp enough to pop hairs).

I liked the idea of getting rid of my expensive cartridge razors that weren't giving me a great shave to begin with so I decided take the plunge into wet shaving. I went into research mode and tried to find out about what good quality gear is involved in shaving with a straight razor so as to not follow my buddies footsteps. This amazing forum strangely dedicated to wet shaving kept showing up in my google searches and I have found myself coming back here for quality info on wet shaving.

I am already a knife guy and own a ever growing collection of knives. When I found the wonderful world of straight razors I knew I was sunk, I am seeing the early stages of RAD setting in. I have already acquired a second vintage German straight razor from my local antique shop and have polished and restored it to start off shaving with, I can tell this is only the beginning.
I have since acquired a finest badger brush and a sample of Castle Forbes lime and made myself a basic strop for me to shred to pieces.

So far I am loving it and my first shave with a straight was the smoothest and closest shave I have ever gotten! I am really exited to be a part of this great community and hope to learn a lot.

welcome to the bottomless rabbit hole. enjoy you stay, been using straights for over 45 yrs and there is nothing else like it. the razors increase multifold as do the hones and strops. strange though it dosent seem to fill up any, but there is no bottom in the hole, of course you will and should try. now just enjoy you new found friend and shave, shave ,shave and hone till you cant possibly do another stroke and then hone another set. I make knives as well as collect them, have made knives since I was 14, longer than I wish to remember and still at it. enjoy the razors gator, that is a skill that some master and others only dream of, the longer you use it the better you will become.later, my new friend.

Hello and welcome. B&B is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

That is cool that you have your grandfather's razor and even cooler that you have it working so well.

Top Bottom