What's new

How many types of soaps/creams do you really need?

I am new to the world of wet shaving having only been doing it for a week and a half. However, I see a lot of discussion here about a lot of soaps or creams. It is mind boggling :blink:!

So my one and only shaving soap/cream is Taylor's sandalwood shaving cream. I really really like it. But it seems like there are so many other options out there I would not know where to began to try something new. I would like to stay in the cream arena for the moment. With that in mind what do you suggest going forward. I like the sandalwood smell and more "wood" smell but am not opposed to trying a sweeter fragrance. I was thinking about getting Taylor's peppermint based on the review here for a nice Christmas smell.

So after all that other than suggestions, how many soap/creams do most of you have at one time? Do you switch randomly or stick to a type until gone?

Most soaps last a pretty long time, and new products come up or old ones get brought to your attention that you want to try; so you buy them. So you go from having one product that gets used every day to a few getting used frequently to a lot getting used rarely. It's not so much that you NEED multiple; it's just that products tend to take longer and longer to be used up the more you buy, so the fact of having more compounds itself and eventually you get to the point where finishing a product is extremely rare, and finding a new product to try is not.

I started with TOBS sandalwood cream...actually the entire sandalwood line up! Still use it for special outings. But for everyday shaves, I use Cella from the kilo and the clubman line up. I can't see spending a lot on something I rinse down the drain. Kinda like a 50 dollar roll of toilet paper :bored:
The scent of exspencive soaps is great while shaving but it just gets rinsed off and your AS and colonge is where it comes from long term.
You can't go wrong with the TOBS lineup. Save your money and get some of their other products.

You only need one soap or cream on hand, as long as it works for you. Many of us rotate through a large collection because we like variety. I do get the best results when I stick with one product for several shaves. Given that you liked TOBS Sandalwood cream I would look at Proraso red, or DR Harris Sandalwood or Marlborough to try next.

I would get some variety in there! I started with TOBS sandalwood and still love it. I highly suggest proraso green and razorock Don Marco! Both can be had for less than $12 and perform great. Don Marco smells like oranges and proraso has a cooling effect and smells minty. After that go for whatever sounds good to you!

My brother just got into traditional wet shaving and he only wants one product, possibly with a couple of their scents. He felt like you, just too many options.

What I'd say is buy a cream lot on BST to try a couple brands and then go with what you like best in whatever scent moves you.

How long is a piece of string? :lol: lol! you really only need 1 or 2. But i think most of us feel like we NEED infinite amounts! :thumbup1:

You'll see a lot of discussion here around different artisan soaps. The quantity and quality of these artisans is fairly mind boggling. There just aren't that many artisan creams out there.

That said, there are some truly awesome creams out there too! I personally love the Old Spice creams from India and have currently treewhaled quite a few tubes via eBay. It is also available at WCS for a mark up but you'll get it in your hands significantly quicker.

Proraso is obviously another great product, and the red, green, and blue all come in cream. If you want to take a sniff for yourself before purchasing, head over to Merz in Lincoln Square. Their selection of shaving gear will boggle your mind!

god i just started wet shaving starting nov 1. nd i already own 11 soaps -.- 3 brushes soon to be 4. i believe im in trouble.. is there an addiction number i can call? haha

god i just started wet shaving starting nov 1. nd i already own 11 soaps -.- 3 brushes soon to be 4. i believe im in trouble.. is there an addiction number i can call? haha

Sign up for the December Gentlemanly restraint. It is a group of shavers generally encouraging each other to not make any shave related purchases for a month. I'm in the November one, and I have not made a purchase this month. It really gives you a time to focus on what you have and really research future purchases.

If it came down to me just having one soap it would have to be Arko. Dirt cheap, excellent performance hands down. I have never had a problem with bad lather.

My plan is to stick to 3-5 but want see what is out there first.
For looking in the right direction, I really like Luc's sticks review project (in particular the early posts) because you could really see what to expect.
More of that would be awesome.

You only need one soap or cream on hand, as long as it works for you. Many of us rotate through a large collection because we like variety. I do get the best results when I stick with one product for several shaves. Given that you liked TOBS Sandalwood cream I would look at Proraso red, or DR Harris Sandalwood or Marlborough to try next.

+1. Also look at Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood, as well as Art of Shaving Sandalwood.

I'm up to 25 +/-. Too many, probably, I know. I mainly "collect" rose scented products, along with almond, bergamot/neroli, and, hopefully, classic cologne, if I can ever find it. I love Cella, T+H creams, Harris soaps, TFS Bergamotto Neroli, Don Marco, Klar Kabinett.

I was on the October Gentlemanly Restraint, which slowed me down and made me think more rationally about my soap/cream purchases. I have two or three rose products I want to get, for sure. Next time I'm in Pasadena, I'll spend some time sniffing around lots of products at Old Town Shaving I'm curious about, still trying to find a classic cologne line of products. But I don't have a huge must-get list.

My desert-island set-up is TFS Bergamotto Neroli, pre-shave, hard soap, and balm. All they need to do is add an AS splash to the line for me to jump on-board.

I've retired a few soaps and creams, saving them for a PIF.

My plan is to try all of the "big" company soaps just once to check off of my list. Then stick to nothing but artisan soaps. Eventually have about 5 brands in rotation, changing nothing but scents.

Sample packs are great for discovering artisanal soaps/ fragrance experimentation.

Top Bottom