What's new

Newbie wife here

Came here from the soap making forum. My better half has been complaining about the cost of crummy multi blades every time we've shopped for some time. He's also become a fan of occasionally getting a barber shop shave when the opportunity presents itself.

To that end, I joined today to do a little research on starting him out with a gift of a new safety razor, brush and supplies for the holiday.

Forum has been very helpful so far.

I already ordered...used lots of advice and reviews from here to make selections. Hope I did alright.

Got:
Merkur Double Edge Razor Travel Case
Merkur 34C Heavy Duty Safety Razor
Omega 11047 Banded Boar Shaving Brush
Pre de Provence Shave Soap in Tin
Proraso New Formula Pre-Post Shave Cream
Razor Blades Sampler: Precision, Dorco, Derby and Astra
Laboratories Osma Alum Block, Extra Large
Daines & Hathaway Military Wet Pack, Black Brooklyn Leather with Black Lining
Also got the Simpson small shaving brush travel case

I am stumping on an aftershave treatment and a shaving bowl. I got the Pre de Provence because it comes in a tin. My hubby does a LOT of traveling. I would think he might be able to use the tin but it seems to me that it might get messy really quickly. I could do wooden bowl or metal but can't really fathom that stonewear is going to hold up to all of his travel, most of which is on a tour bus. Any bowl recommendations?

I hope I did alright.

Welcome...... but your blade choices my cause him some pain. The Astra's are grate though, very good all around blade IMO I really like them, and use them as a gold standard to test other razors and blades.....but the others my be rought. But they are fun to try and you never know he may just love one of them.......my wife just told me your a good Wife to do that. So their you go,welcome ounce again glad to have you and your husband.....

Welcome! I think you've done the right thing with a blade sampler pack.

When I started out it took me a while to find the right blade for my face, I believe I went though about 4 sampler packs (of differing brands) before deciding which one my face liked the best (Astra for me, and I learnt on Derby).

I travel a lot and find I don't use a bowl when away. I usually use a tube of Proraso or a shave stick and lather on my face (or a motel mug if not a fan of face lathering!) For home I have a $2 op shop soup bowl.

Welcome to the forum. You did a great job with all of your choices of shaving gear. Your husband is a lucky man. I would recommend that you let your husband use the supplies you are giving as a gift for a little bit of time. Then he will have an idea of what he likes , dislikes, and needs in the future. He will need more "stuff" . Then you can give them as gifts for other occasions. Valentine's, birthdays, etc.

WELCOME and I'm sure your husband will be very please with the products you have gathered for him, as well as the effort you've put forth in finding the best quality products for his face!

Came here from the soap making forum. My better half has been complaining about the cost of crummy multi blades every time we've shopped for some time. He's also become a fan of occasionally getting a barber shop shave when the opportunity presents itself.

To that end, I joined today to do a little research on starting him out with a gift of a new safety razor, brush and supplies for the holiday.

Forum has been very helpful so far.

We hope that you joined for more than just research, we want you to stay with yus for shave fun and info. .

Welcome to our forum!

Great work on all those choices!

My shave bowl is a $1.50 stainless steel pet dish from the dollar store. No, it doesn't have paw prints on it or any fancy designs.

For aftershaves, I recommend both aftershave in a bottle (classic, such as Brut, Aqua Velva), and aftershave balms. Some days I just feel like one over the other.

When traveling, I like to use my shave stick. It's a shave soap you apply to your face after wetting it, and lather with the brush on the face directly. It's also solid, so no issues with leaking and mess etc. Saves me carrying the lather bowl around when traveling.

Top Bottom