What's new

Is a wet shave worth it for just the neck?

Hi all, newbie here. Actually, not even a newbie yet, because I'm trying to determine if it's worth the investment to get started in wet shaving. You see, I have a full beard and really just shave a good portion of my neck for tidiness, so to speak. If all I need to shave is my neck, would you say it's worth the money and effort to get started in wet shaving? I would really like to move away from cartridge-based Mach3-style shaving, but I need to gauge if wet shaving would be a reasonable approach. Thank you in advance for your thoughts, and as I'm new to the forum, feel free to post a link if this question has already been answered (couldn't find it in my own search)!

Hello and welcome.

Changing from carts to DE's is definitely worth it. Any shaving amount is done better with DE's vs. carts.

Change-over and you'll never look back.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, we at B&B are really never tired of answering questions, hence no problem at all if it has already appeared somewhere here in the past! As about your question my answer is simple: "Yes, yes and yes". Wet shaving is, according to many (me included) the sole proper way to shave and it does not matter if you shave your entire face or only a small portion of it, as in your case. The results are just superior and the freshly shaven skin just feels and looks better. Also, if you want you can keep things economical - as a matter of fact you only need a brush, a soap and a safety razor with some blades. Welcome aboard!

For myself, the actual resulting shave is only part of the reason I wet shave. The ritual, the soap and cream scents and textures, the after shave fragrances, the balms and oils etc... man, they sure make shaving fun again! I hated the chore of cartridge shaving but this I love!

Even a brush and some good soap or cream is a huge improvement over canned goo!

+1

I started out still using my Gillette Sensor, but with a brush and some shave soap. Made a load of difference just because I'd started preparing my beard and skin the right way.

Once you get a routine going it really doesn't take much longer than carts and canned gel. And if you decided to shave the beard (you never know what the future holds) you will be set for a fantastic experience.

Perhaps you'll like it so much you'll shave the beard off. Then you'll need another razor or two... gotta try a different soap... and of course you'll need to have a brush rotation... And so it goes...[emoji4]

Perhaps you'll like it so much you'll shave the beard off. Then you'll need another razor or two... gotta try a different soap... and of course you'll need to have a brush rotation... And so it goes...[emoji4]
I shaved my beard off since I liked it so much. Still a minimalist due to funding concerns. Donations always accepted ;)

I would really like to move away from cartridge-based Mach3-style shaving, but I need to gauge if wet shaving would be a reasonable approach.

What are you hoping to get out of DE shaving? What don't you like about your current set up?

Don't be scared off by the enthusiasm for shaving that you will find here. You can happily get set up with a razor, a brush and a shaving cream/soap with very little 'investment'. Whether that leads to you being a hobbyist is up to you.

Hi all, newbie here. Actually, not even a newbie yet, because I'm trying to determine if it's worth the investment to get started in wet shaving. You see, I have a full beard and really just shave a good portion of my neck for tidiness, so to speak. If all I need to shave is my neck, would you say it's worth the money and effort to get started in wet shaving? I would really like to move away from cartridge-based Mach3-style shaving, but I need to gauge if wet shaving would be a reasonable approach. Thank you in advance for your thoughts, and as I'm new to the forum, feel free to post a link if this question has already been answered (couldn't find it in my own search)!
Yes, I'm with Marco we love answering questions. .your shaves would be better and last 10 time longer too.

Shaving a around a beard with a de is much easier then using a cart. It gives you much clean lines, its more efficient, and if you DE clogs you open it up and rinse the hair out, I found that once a cart is clogged it's done. As for the start up price you can get a good set up for $30 or less, which will quickly pay its self off unless if you don't get an acquisition disorder. I usually have mutton chops or a full beard, I was in your shoes a year ago trust my you won't regret it.

Shaving a around a beard with a de is much easier then using a cart. It gives you much clean lines, its more efficient, and if you DE clogs you open it up and rinse the hair out, I found that once a cart is clogged it's done. As for the start up price you can get a good set up for $30 or less, which will quickly pay its self off unless if you don't get an acquisition disorder. I usually have mutton chops or a full beard, I was in your shoes a year ago trust my you won't regret it.
This. When using a cart, it's impossible to get an exact edge...my sideburns were always uneven.

I think we should start referring to carts as "NE" (no edge).

I'm in the same boat as you. I would agree with stankboot and Shiloh in that the DE (or SE or straight) razor makes it easier to maintain clean, straight lines on your beard. I shave just my neck and a little of my cheeks and I feel it's totally worth it!

It is totally worth it. Your skin will feel way better and healthier once you make the transition. And after you get the hang of it, the shaves will be of superb quality, unattainable by any cartridge. And as fellow gentlemen have said, you can make a minimalistic start and keep it that way.

Actually, not even a newbie yet, because I'm trying to determine if it's worth the investment to get started in wet shaving.
Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic so you won't just find a single answer that fits everyone and you just can't poll others. You also need to consider that you're asking on a forum of wetshavers so you can easily guess what our responses would be as we wouldn't be wetshaving if we didn't think it was worth it. You really just have to try it out and see for yourself.

I would really like to move away from cartridge-based Mach3-style shaving
Why are you looking to get away from cartridges? What are you expecting from wetshaving? Keep in mind that the two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom