What's new

Should everyone have a passport?

Yeah, the carding thing here is a bit overboard (at least in most places). In many states, those selling alcohol are required to ask for proof of age if the person does not appear to be in their 40's (even though drinking age is 21 everywhere in the US). I'm 47, and have been asked to present proof of age recently.

That sounds pretty bizarre. I mean, aren't bartenders and shopkeepers trusted to judge whether someone is, say, 25 plus?

I was a bartender for awhile in college and I just always carded everyone. It's something that takes 2 seconds to ask, really isn't much of an inconvenience since everyone should have id on them, and saves a hefty fine. It's like a $1,000 fine for the person serving and a $5,000 fine for the establishment if you get caught serving to a minor or someone without proof of id. At least it was when I was serving about 7 years ago. I've known friends who were caught up in a police sting. The cops get old looking high schoolers to go in on a busy night to try and buy booze. Considering some 18-20 year old guys can look 30 if they are shaving and females are even harder to judge age, if you don't have obvious wrinkles and tons of grey hair, expect to be carded.

By the way, sorry for the thread jack. I'm looking in to getting my passport as well, so I've been reading this thread today as it interests me.

Ah yes, it's America :lol:

Still it sounds pretty unrealistic.

Our system isn't any better. A 15 yo kid can go and buy all the booze he wants, nobody will ask anything.

Well at least in the good ol' days ... :lol: Not sure how that works now, I suppose it hasn't changed in many places.

What is an enhanced license?

I had to check online and if you are entering the US from Canada by land or sea, you can use an enhanced driver's licence. There is also a nexus card which I believe is used by people who drive in and out of the USA a lot, because it is quicker at the border than if you use a passport.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

That's the beach in Brazil.

You need a passport to get there.

... you still here, or on your way to the Passport office?

I have an enhanced license to get into Canada.

"I'm online buddies with Doc4" won't enhance your licence nearly as well as you think it will.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I'll 'chime-in' here and say[FONT=&amp] to live in this world of human affairs (worldly-wise), a passport is a must. [/FONT]:001_rolle

proxy.php
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]"A passport used to be a luxury, but in today's world it has become a necessity". Author Unknown [/FONT]

Crap. Now do I need a Visa?

What's the difference?

On a US passport? Yup. You also have to visit the Brazilian consulate in person to get it, where many other countries who require entry visas will allow you to do so by postal service. Those beaches sure look nice though!

You'll also need a passport to go to the Caribbean (such as on a cruise). Loaded up the whole fam and went to the post office this July for our vacation this winter. The 1-year-old was such a ham in his picture - he's gonna be trouble.

A US passport proves identity and citizenship, so you can use it as a single document when starting a new job. If you use a driver's license (identity), you will need another document for citizenship/work status (e.g. birth cert, SSA card).

On a US passport? Yup. You also have to visit the Brazilian consulate in person to get it, where many other countries who require entry visas will allow you to do so by postal service. Those beaches sure look nice though!
You do not need a visa with a EU passport. I would think the rules for US citizens would be the same?

You do not need a visa with a EU passport. I would think the rules for US citizens would be the same?

Nope. Apparently, the US began requiring Brazilians to apply in person for visas, and they in turn reciprocated. This is enough of an example to justify having more than one passport if you live in on this side of the pond, IMO.

I say get one, I've had several opportunities arise over the years for last minute/short notice travel. I've been able to get some pretty good deals on travel by being flexible and available.

The passport will leave you burning a hole in your pocket. It's not the passport that's expensive it's what follows! Aya!
But in the next five years as my daughter reaches 12 we will be off to see both sides of the world. Europe & Japan.Woot! Better get to working that overtime!

For a long time I was under the impression that I wouldn't need one and would get it when I did. Never had one before and I'm almost 40. Well, last Friday my manager said I'm going to Germany on December 7th. Yep, 2 weeks. I've now gone through the "joy" of expediting a passport and it is a pain. I'll probably keep it and renew every 10 years just to avoid this again. Many extra hours and much extra cost all because I wasn't prepared.

Top Bottom