What's new

Should everyone have a passport?

Everybody need a passport ? I don't know. I'm Canadian, well into my '60's and I recall life in the 1950's and '60's. My family used to go to the states from May till September. We stayed at a state park, pretty well all July and August, except for my dad who was working.

As a result of all this time with Americans I grew to love America and Americans. In fact I've figured I've lived in the USA for about 18-20 months during my life. As a Canuck who lives close to the border, I can't imagine how we could have better neighbours than America and Americans.

We never had passports, back in the '50's/60's, etc. Just a stop at the border and in we went. But that was the way things used to be and as some say, we are now global citizens and our old world in North America (Canada/USA) is not as isolated and IMO, pleasant as it used to be. Things have changed and unfortunately in some aspects, not for the better.

It was like that till 9/11 and then things in life, at the border, changed radically.

I understand why, but it still bugs me that a small group of thugs...who were not from North America... have been an engine of change....and not a good one.

Was it right to make passports as a necessity to go across the border ? I don't know.

But I do wonder why we (US and Canada) didn't make this a requirement...if it was so important... starting with either WWl or WW ll....much bigger conflicts.

BTW, yes now I have a passport and have had one for the past decade. The reason I have it, well just in case I have to cross boders of any other country, in the world.

If you are getting a passport for the first time, you need to fill out out forms, get signatures, then wait for process by the feds and approval. That takes time. Time you may not have, if you have to go out of your country, quickly.

So although they cost a few bucks...it's not a whole bunch, if you figure cost per year. A passport is.... or could be.... handy to have in this modern world.

Maybe nowadays having a passport is the same as having a cell phone or a computer. Things that 30 years ago, weren't part of our 'life kit', but maybe now are.

Last edited:
I say get one. You never know when you may want to travel, and one can never have too many picture id's.

Everyone should have one. Travel to Canada or Mexico requires one post-9/11. You never know when you might need to bug out, right?

Only 5 states have the enhanced drivers license, and three provinces do. NY,VT, WA,MN (who added it recently, I think) and MI. ON, MB, and BC (Quebec just dropped out). It is cheap, but good only for the length of the license (4 yrs in MI). Also, if you get a passport, get the Border Card at the same time if you go to Canada or Mexico. You can keep it in your wallet to go there (non-air), and keep your regular passport in a safe place.

OH has had some recent activity to have an EDL option there as well.

Last edited:
I like passports so much that I have two: a German one and an American one. I always take both when going to Europe because an EU passport makes entering and leaving EU countries a lot easier. American citizens are also not allowed to enter the U.S. with a non-U.S. passport (I believe that you can even get arrested for trying to).

Why would you have more than one picture id?

In the U.S., you sometimes need to present two picture IDs for certain situations, such as to prove that you are a U.S. citizen when you start at a new job.

26, but now that I'm beardless, I get carded regularly.:thumbup:

Really? Okay, I am 20 something years older than you, but I cannot remember the last time I had to prove my age in a bar :wink2:

(legal drinking age was 16 when I was young ... was raised to 18 recently)

There is one advantage I just thought of. It's useful as backup identification, in case for some reason you loose all your normal methods (license, etc). It's generally considered "premium" identification at the DMV for instance, or the social security office. As such, it can help you get you out of a pickle if you loose various ID's all at once (maybe a fire?). Gotta keep the passport safe though :001_smile

My son had his wallet stolen. Took him many weeks to fix (and I overnighted him a copy of his Birth Cert). IF he'd had a valid passport, he could of replaced everything in about 7-10 days, and some places will issue temp ID based on showing the passport. SS card, DL, bank, all would of fast tracked his replacements if he'd had a passport. Get one, get a basic firesafe, stick it it there as backup.

Really? Okay, I am 20 something years older than you, but I cannot remember the last time I had to prove my age in a bar :wink2:

Just come out West. Everybody out here including 90 year old great grandmothers have to present ID to purchase any type of alcohol related product. Good thing we all have passports. :w00t:

Yeah, the carding thing here is a bit overboard (at least in most places). In many states, those selling alcohol are required to ask for proof of age if the person does not appear to be in their 40's (even though drinking age is 21 everywhere in the US). I'm 47, and have been asked to present proof of age recently.

That sounds pretty bizarre. I mean, aren't bartenders and shopkeepers trusted to judge whether someone is, say, 25 plus?

That sounds pretty bizarre. I mean, aren't bartenders and shopkeepers trusted to judge whether someone is, say, 25 plus?

Some retail establishments are required by Company policy to do so in many cases. Poor judgement leads to liability is the philosophy I imagine.

Top Bottom