What's new

Will multiple days growth always = pulling?

This morning I shaved with a new Derby blade with 2 days growth. LOTS of pulling on the first pass. Subsequent passes were fine. The end result was a great shave with little irritation. My wife really liked it ;)

I know Derby are not the sharpest blade out there, but is this the norm on multiple days growth? I am new to this, and I started with Derby. I plan to work through my sampler pack, spending time with each blade (use maybe 5 of each) to get to know it in different circumstances. This was my third Derby, but the first time with multiple days growth

I know that with cartridges I always got more pulling on multiple days growth, but this first pass was downright painful.

As a side note, I started my Merkur Progress at 2.5 or 3 this morning, but very quickly dialed back down to 2, where I have been shaving. My Progress zeros at between the + and 1, so if yours zeros right at 1 my 2 is like your 2.5.

Not necessarily.

Good prep + good lather + good blade = no pulling irrespective of the growth.

Derby blades are not great. For me they drag and pull even with a day's growth.

Also the first pass with a new blade is always a little rough! Try palm stropping. Some members have reported that palm stropping helps!

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

Also the first pass with a new blade is always a little rough! Try palm stropping. Some members have reportedly that palm stropping helps!
It also depends on hair length. If in two days people walk up to him and ask how the mammoth hunt went he may need some trimmers.

In retrospect the prep may have been it. After lathering I went to do something else and by the time I got back there wasn't much left on my face. I was allowing extra time to soften my stubble but did not know how the bubbles were disappearing until I got back to the mirror. I started shaving anyway.

Will multiple days growth always = pulling?

No, good prep and a sharp blade should wipe it off with little to no pulling. I wouldn't use a derby on multiple days growth.

Last edited:
In retrospect the prep may have been it. After lathering I went to do something else and by the time I got back there wasn't much left on my face. I was allowing extra time to soften my stubble but did not know how the bubbles were disappearing until I got back to the mirror. I started shaving anyway.
What was the end results?

And there you have it. Water is an essential element for good lather and if it dries tugging results.

The end result was a very nice shave, which is what normally happens if I haven't shaved in a few days. It was just the first pass that had a lot of pulling - painful. Lesson learned about letting it dry. I should have just applied more before starting. I still don't think the Derby is sharp enough for me, but I am early in my experimenting.

Nothing is worse than your lather drying to your face. I made the mistake of using pre-shave glyce Musgol and not removing it prior to lathering. It just created this weird sticky and dry mess on my face that I thought was normal. Little did I know... The lather just sits too thick and the blade just can't cut well with that goop on your face.

I posted a thread yesterday about shaving a 3-day growth. I had no pulling. My routine looks something like this:

1. Fill my shaving mug with hot water and leave the brush in it to soften.
  2. A cold shower, but I wash my face (obviously).
  3. Hot towel (washcloth) on my whiskers for a minute or so.
  4. Dr. Carver's (from DSC) Shave Butter as a sort of pre-shave oil.
  5. Lather up with some Proraso Red.
  6. Rinse the razor in hot water.
  7. First Pass (WTG).
  8. Re-apply Shave Butter & Re-lather.
  9. Second Pass (XTG: Usually from both directions).
  10. Re-apply Shave Butter & Re-lather.
  11. Third Pass (ATG) & touch-ups as necessary.
  12. Rinse off with warm water.
  13. Cold Water splash & Pat dry.
  14. Dr. Carver's Post-Shave lotion (also DSC).
  15. Splash on some Clubman SR or VIBR.
  16. Go take on the WORLD!! :thumbup:

Hope this helps.

+1 for this. Multiple days should shave pretty smoothly for you.

Not necessarily.

Also the first pass with a new blade is always a little rough! Try palm stropping. Some members have reportedly that palm stropping helps!

For a few days growth I take a shower first, then load up a Gillette sharp edge and is taken care of, I use the sharp edges purely for a few days growth

You may also want to consider an open comb (I recommend the Merkur 1904). The design allows longer beard hairs to pass through more easily, and minimizes pulling. An open comb can give you a great shave in any case, but the design is especially good when you're not shaving every day.

Not necessarily.

Also the first pass with a new blade is always a little rough! Try palm stropping. Some members have reported that palm stropping helps!
+2

Nothing is worse than your lather drying to your face. I made the mistake of using pre-shave glyce Musgol and not removing it prior to lathering. It just created this weird sticky and dry mess on my face that I thought was normal. Little did I know... The lather just sits too thick and the blade just can't cut well with that goop on your face.
Great observation and analysis. ..members will read this and learn through your trial and error.

Top Bottom