What's new

TSA Took my blade away. Looking for backup.

Not surprising but it doesn't happen that often. About 1 out of 6 times in the last couple of months.

The interesting part is the conversation.

The guy who found it probably caught it because he actually new what a DE Razor looked like.

When I saw him looking closely I new he caught it.

When he said that they needed to take a look at it to see if it had a blade I said no problem because I got a good six shaves out of that blade.

He told me he got at least 20 out of his. He did have a full beard though so much less real estate to cover.

The guy who actually looked through the bag was lucky he had gloves on because he started to unscrew the cap by holding the sharp edges.

Anyway we had a discussion about him giving one a try.

But. Now that I no longer use carts my wife is no longer buying the 100 pack of Gillette Mach 2s at Costco.

And they no longer sell them. They are now selling disposable 3's. Or 3 carts or those 5 blade freaks.

I wouldn't mind having a nice handle that's more like a DE but holds a back up TSA friendly cart if I get sooner instead of later.

Suggestions?

i think i can manage shaving with a cartridge for a short weekend air trip when i don't need to check a bag.

$truefitt hill sandalwood gillette flexball art of shaving november 20 2014.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It may not look purty but it sure shaves like a dream. Very light, very inexpensive.
perfect for travel IMO.

I present to you the Gillette Guard.
One blade. It reminds me of an injector razor.

$Gillette_Guard.jpg
View attachment 522178

You can carry blades in your checked luggage or...

Just buy a blade at your destination or mail one ahead of time to where you'll be staying.

You can easily get a blade from Walgreens, CVS, or any Art of Shaving store.
If I buy a pack while I'm there I just mail whatever I don't use back home.

You can likely even find a member on this forum that lives close to where you're going that's willing to share a blade.

It just requires a small amount of planning.

That's an excellent suggestion Jason, I used one quite a few times when flying with not checking my bags. A slightly less crappy plastic razor is some of the vintage trac II razors but the blade without the lube strip are harder to find and that is the preferred blade for that razor.

I travel on business upwards of 40+ weeks out of the year. What I can't understand is why folks are traveling (be it with a carry on or even a checked bag) with a 'loaded' razor? Even if I've only time for one shave with a blade before it's time to pack up and head home, I toss the blade and pack the razor empty. What with the cost of blades, it just doesn't seem necessary to have to hold onto one for the sake of...well....holding on to one.

And while I may or may not agree with the TSA policies regarding a number of things, I do feel that those who are in violation of said existing policies should be made aware of such in a very matter of fact and direct manner. While one may find the policy of having a razor blade on a carry on to be ridiculous, that should not negate the fact that it is - for now - illegal and should be met with corresponding consequences regarding same. Personally, I don't think anyone should be traveling with a blade IN a razor; Why?

Just my opinion, mind you.

No problem with an injector itself but the blades for it would surely put you in violation of TSA rules. You might get away with it because they are unfamiliar but it's not worth the risk.

Do know that they can take your whole razor and not just the blade. The person who took just the blade was being kind. They can do pretty much whatever they want and your choices are fly or don't fly. So don't bring anything you're not willing to lose.

Do you think that TSA would have a problem with an injector?

I carried one for quite awhile (want to say 50-60 flights) not realizing they were not allowed, then one day TSA confiscated it because I failed to load the blade properly. Hey own fault for carrying on a restricted item.

Whatever Noxzema disposables are at Dollar Tree are my choice for these trips. They have Japanese made Kai blades in the two or three blade configuration. If you go through the trouble, the Gillette Guard or Bic Metal are great choices, but harder to find.

I travel on business upwards of 40+ weeks out of the year. What I can't understand is why folks are traveling (be it with a carry on or even a checked bag) with a 'loaded' razor? Even if I've only time for one shave with a blade before it's time to pack up and head home, I toss the blade and pack the razor empty. What with the cost of blades, it just doesn't seem necessary to have to hold onto one for the sake of...well....holding on to one.

And while I may or may not agree with the TSA policies regarding a number of things, I do feel that those who are in violation of said existing policies should be made aware of such in a very matter of fact and direct manner. While one may find the policy of having a razor blade on a carry on to be ridiculous, that should not negate the fact that it is - for now - illegal and should be met with corresponding consequences regarding same. Personally, I don't think anyone should be traveling with a blade IN a razor; Why?

Just my opinion, mind you.

+1,000. TSA is keeping us safe. I don't understand why anyone would purposely try to circumvent International travel safety laws.

It may not look purty but it sure shaves like a dream. Very light, very inexpensive.
perfect for travel IMO.

I present to you the Gillette Guard.
One blade. It reminds me of an injector razor.

View attachment 522177
View attachment 522178

Excellent choice for travel. Just completed a two week business trip excursion with the Gillette Guard. You can swish the head in a glass of water to clean it. Virtually impossible to clog the head on this one.

I check my bag now so I can shave with a proper razor, soap, AS, etc. Business travel is unpleasant enough. Why not bring a bit of home with me?

I agree with jet, but the TSA, useless as they are, has the ability to make your life very difficult.
I'm glad that business travel and international travel I can check bags, not that I do either more than once a year.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you are going to bring razors in your carry on make it a cart. Otherwise pack whatever you want and check it in. Enhanced security is here to stay so we might as well get used to it.

Gents, if posts can't stay on topic this thread will be closed.

Top Bottom