What's new

Head shavers input please

Howdy Folks,
My son shaves his head 3-4 days a week and I want to get him a DE razor and Brush for Christmas. ...
Is there anything special I want to look for in a razor....
Input on razors and brushes is appreciated
Thanks in advance
Al

I am interested too. I love my DE razor but I still use a shick extreme 3 for my head because it handles curves well. Tips, tricks and gear from DE head shavers would be much appreciated.

What soap / razor combo does he use now? How thick / coarse is his hair?

I've heard a vintage Tech is one of the best starter head-shaving DEs you can find, although I've never used one because I've also heard they can be far too mild if you have coarse hair. Many prefer the convenience of a TTO, but I find for head shaving that they are difficult to maneuver around the ears.

I would highly recommend vintage Gillettes as starter razors. You can get good quality new DEs from Edwin Jagger, Merkur, Parker, and others, but you pay for it. You should be able to get a good quality Tech or Superspeed (although you might want to stay away from Red Tips to start) on the bay for under $20 shipped, and they are just as good as the newer models. Plus, if he decides he's not into it, you can easily get your money back by reselling them on the B/S/T here.

As far as brushes, I like my Omega Boars better than the Super Badger I have. For head shaving, larger lofts are nice because they hold a lot more lather, so you don't have to go back to the puck / bowl as often. You really can't go wrong with an Omega PRO in either the 10048 or 10049 model. They're inexpensive, good quality boars, and you can find them anywhere. Amazon has tons of them, but I also recommend West Coast Shaving. That's where I've gotten most of my brushes.

I shave my head everyday. I prefer the vintage Gillette, either a New or '40's SuperSpeed.
The Omega 49 is a good sized brush for head lathering.

Any soap would be good.

TOBS, Proraso and Tabac are good to start with.

I shave my head every three days and I have found that the:

-Razor- Merker 37C Heavy Duty Safety Razor (Slant Bar) is optimal for me. The curved razor head is easier to hold and guide on the curvature of my head. Plus it is like a snow plow pushing the hair and lather out of the way, allowing for longer cutting strokes before rinsing the razor.
-Blade- Personna Blue, I get two uses out of one blade, they are cheap and effective, I use them on my head only.
-Brush- WSP Stubby, I found one on Amazon for $50 (USD) it holds enough lather to do my entire head.

Hope this helps.

I shave my head with an Oster Classic 76 using an Oster 0000 blade and finishing with an Andis trimmer blade .On occasion I will shave with a hand razor,and I prefer BIC or Schick 3 blade landfill razors over metal classics,they just feel more comfortable and hit the boney curves better.The best cream for head shaving is Stephans Smooth Shave.

I've been shaving my head 2-3 times a week for almost ten years. I use a Gillette Guard, which is a disposable single blade. It is, for me, hands down the best razor for head shaving I have found. I also recently started using Razorock shave lube, which I much prefer over soaps and creams for my head. I use a Progress and variety of creams/soaps for my face, but find the simple approach to my head works best for me. Italian Barber has a couple of nice combination sets for head shavers.

I find I prefer milder razors for shaving my head, when compared to my face. I feel like it has something to do with the less sub skin fat on my dome compared to my face and also there are a few more lumps & bumps so I find a milder razor leaves less nicks & weepers.

This is is just my opinion!

Maybe an adjustable? FatBoy, Slim or a Progress?

I shave my head 6 times a week. Took awhile to get used to it but i found that using a milder razor is most forgiving since head curves cause trouble. I use the ikon 101. Love its mildness and weight. Coupled with a feather blade i acheive nothing less than BBS every shave.

If only i could achieve this with my face :(

Note: my scalp is very resilient. Has never got irritated.

I'm not a baldy but I do often shave my hair and go completely skin bald. I use a Merkur 34C HD, I don't want to use an open comb for my hair it might be too aggressive.

If my hair is a little bit too long I mow it down with a hair clipper with no guard, take a shower, then do the normal routine like you would do with your beard.

Lots of good advice here, i shave head every day if i can but some times i can't for two three days, i use adjustable set on 9 usually. I like aggressive but i also love open comb NEW. The tech is two mild and i do a two pass usually tech i have to do three or four. Also I've found the longer the handle the easier i control it so i use a 12 buck utopia handle on my three pieces

Howdy Folks,
My son shaves his head 3-4 days a week and I want to get him a DE razor and Brush for Christmas. ...
Is there anything special I want to look for in a razor....
Input on razors and brushes is appreciated
Thanks in advance
Al

Hi Al: I have been using DE and SE razors since April 2012 for all my face and dome shaves. For me, my favorite DE razors for head shaves are slant razors (37c and iKON) and Weber. You cannot go wrong with either two. As far as brush, I would go with any Semogue brush, IMO they are the best bang for your buck brushes on the planet. Kindly keep us posted.

WARHAWK

Weber PH, New SC or Tech all do great on my scalp. I shave as often as every other day to as long as once a week. The New SC does a better job with the longer stubble. I have an Omega 10066 which works well for scalp lathering.

I have found a slant razor works best for me. I am using a 39C now. The brush that works best at present is a Semogue 2000. It holds a ton of lather and covers the real estate very quickly.

I own four pretty unique DE razors, and I use them exclusively for head shaving (I grow a beard year-round, so I don't shave my face). My first one was a Parker 99R (a twist-to-open). I found that it was pretty great for learning, and did a good job of mowing down my coarse hair on my head. Since then, I've acquired a Merkur Progress (adjustable), a Merkur 25C? (I think that's right, it's the very mild open-comb model with the long handle), and a Merkur 39C (slant bar with the long handle). I find that I can effectively use all of them on my head, but if I had to choose a favorite it would be the 39C.

That being said, I don't recommend a 39C, or any slant razor for that matter, as someone's FIRST DE razor. I'd recommend getting him something "middle of the road" as far as perceived aggressiveness - like a Merkur 34C or an Edwin Jagger DE89. If you get him anything too mild, like the Merkur 23C/25C, it may ruin his entry into DE shaving because it's too mild of a razor for some people with coarse hair. If you get him anything too aggressive, like a slant razor, you run the risk of him mauling himself and also ruining his entry into the hobby.

As far as brushes - just don't get anything too small. It is nice to have a larger loft/knot brush for head shaving just to cover the extra real estate faster and more efficiently. I use a 24mm knot Thater brush in best badger, and I don't have any issues. I just divide my head up into five areas (top, left side, right side, back top, and back bottom) and only lather up each area, then shave it.

Good luck!

Top Bottom