What's new

How Many Strops Do You Own?

I am curious to see how many folks here have multiple strops or rely on primarily one strop. If you have multiple strops do you have a rotation? Is there such a thing as "Strop Acquisition Disorder?"

I have only one strop and it is an Illinois 827. It is serving me well and I really have no need of another although sometimes I think it might be nice to have a full 3" wide strop.

Thoughts?

I have 6 strops. One is a TM travel strop in a can, so it sees limited use. The others hang in the bathroom. I tend to use the K3 on Japanese razors and hollow grounds; the TMs (2) and NM (1) on just about anything. The Walking Horse sees wide razors and heavy grinds. I'd like to say I'm done buying leather, but . . . .

Ooops, forgot about the travel paddle strop in the closet.

Last edited:
Just one.......from straight razor designs, with a extra leather replacement. 3" but I'm not really shaving with straights yet, just collecting so far.
$IMG_3511.jpg

I have about a 1/2 dozen hanging and a couple of paddles. I use several strops in a progression sometimes.

From what I can recall without getting up to look around;

1 - Walking Horse Horse 3"
2 - Ambrose HH 3"
3 - Ambrose HH 2.5"
4 - Kanayama 80k
5 - Kanayama 70k
6 - Joey Roo strop
7 - Dovo HH Travel
8 - Rustic Paddle
9 - Refurbed Loom
10 - Kanayama Suede
11 - Kayama Canvas (3x)
12 - Dovo Linen
13 - Cotton hanger plain
14 - Coton hanger for testing abrasives for b-hone
15 - Fire Hose 3.25"
16 - Fire Hose 2.5"

I think that's it - but there might be others hanging around.

I don't do a rotation - some are in the bathroom and get used there - others are on my bench and they get used most often.
Still others are hanging on a chest of drawers, a few are in my travel kit, 1-2 are just floating around here/there. I think the paddle strop is in one of the Jnat chests right now....I tend to put stuff down without thinking sometimes, and then I find it again in a few hours/days/weeks.

Right now, Scrupleworks custom 5 x 50 cm oil-tanned horsehide, backed with vegetable-tanned horsehide; separate Scrupleworks custom 5 x 50 cm cotton element charged with a bar of Stirling sheep's milk soap to glaze things over and fill the interstices; smaller loom strop lined with red and black Solingen crayon pastes.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am curious to see how many folks here have multiple strops or rely on primarily one strop. If you have multiple strops do you have a rotation? Is there such a thing as "Strop Acquisition Disorder?"

I have only one strop and it is an Illinois 827. It is serving me well and I really have no need of another although sometimes I think it might be nice to have a full 3" wide strop.

Thoughts?

I also only have one of the original Illinois #827 strop.

Neil Miller Horween cordovan with linen
Kanayama cordovan with canvas
Walkin Horse Horween cordovan with linen
Walkin Horse split side with linen
Scruppleworks oil tanned with linen
Tony Miller Steer hide with linen
Classic shaving latigo with linen (I removed the cotton and replaced it with real linen)
Classic shaving latigo with cotton
SRD Roo with the cotton I took off the classic shaving latigo

Only 9! I don't have Strop acquisition disorder, just a minor interest,,,,, really!

Wow! You guys have a lot of strops. I feel that the best way to keep leather in good shape is to use it a lot. Now that I have two leather strops, a horse hide and a shell, I feel like I'm neglecting the one that I'm not using and I like using the same one every day, so rotating is not a solution for me. I can't imagine having more.

I have five or six if we're counting paddle strops too.

All hang in my closet. Two paddle strops follow me around when honing (Stropman & Kanayama board strop). The SRD Latigo was my first and doesn't get used too much nor does the DIY travel strop I made a few summers ago. Two Tony Miller horsehide get most of the use.

7 hanging up atm.

3 I will never sell.
Kana #3
Ambrose Span HH
Vintage DD Linen/Cordovan

1. I will probably never sell.
Vintage 588-X Natural shell "With that fine silky 'draw' " plus 103 "Silk finish" linen, Bought together, absolutely mint NOS $4 and $2 original prices stamped on each. (really beautiful strop).

3. I'm going to sell sooner or later, but I use right now since they're my "Beater" strops. All have a little bit of damage from previous owners.
Another DD vintage.
A Llama brand vintage.
A Koken vintage.

So technically seven, but from my perspective, four. I also have some strops in boxes around that have ruined leather but good linen and a few paddle strops and the like... but those first four are "my strops".

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
4 total, but only one in use.
Kanayama 3
kamayama 60k ( the one I use daily)
kanayama 70 k
TM

I own 3 and a half. :)

Tony Miller 3" (Old #2) Heirloom Steer with cotton backing
SRD 3" Bridal with synthetic webbing
SRD 3" Bridal with synthetic webbing that was damaged, and I shortened and took the handles off to make a travel strop
SRD 3" Red Latigo, that is a spare piece.

The TM and the full length SRD Bridal get all the love.

Two and a half :)

Kanayama 70k - daily driver
Kanayama 3 (still NIB)

TM linen--started using this in place of the Kanayama cloth component to see if there's a difference. I prefer the feeling of stropping on the linen over whatever the Kanayama is made of.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the oddball here. I only got one strop Whipped Dog Rich man's strop. It's hanging in the shower room and personally I find no need to get another. But please don't ask me about my Heljestrand addiction.
Regards
Polarbeard

Top Bottom