What's new

How Many Strops Do You Own?

:w00t::thumbup1:

Hunter those are amazing . i especialy like the red imp amd the imported broke in . Where is the scotch lasie , man im dying for this kind of strops .
Old school man .

The lassie isn't in the best shape so I didn't take any pics. It works fine but it's ugly. I am perma loaning it to a guy here in Sonoma who is buying my Filly 13. Until he buys his own strop anyway. I'm also giving him a GD #66 razor for free so he has a beater to practice with.

$SIMG0006.jpg

$SIMG0007.jpg

Some of mine homemade with a canoyama Pelican . The left is a horsehide , second is a pelican and in this row - natural cowhide , black latigo , oiled cowhide , and the right end is a horsehide nubbuck / naped leather /

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Bump, let’s see what hanging around in your den

Seven currently live in the den although there are a few more workhorses in the shop

Three vintage horse with linen seconds
Mountain Goat Brand #405
C-Mon Peter J Michels #410
Black Craftsmam

Four modern systems
Kanayama #3 with canvas and suede
Tony Miller Plane Vanilla, leather component replaced with a Roughout Heavy Draw
Tony Miller Horween Notovan with a linen second
Neil Miller Horween cordovan with linen second

4092EFAC-9931-4055-B94E-8CF4B79F671A.jpeg
8B0BEF24-64E7-49A9-A49A-66BC9E20534A.jpeg

At the most I probably had 10 or 11, but I trimmed my collection down. Now I mostly rotate what I own and will stick with one for a couple months then rotate another one in.

Got an Ambrose Spanish HH, a Kanoyama, and then 5 vintages I restored, 3 Dubl Ducks, a 588-X, and a Russian "Moosehead" shell.

I don't NEED more than one, but selling strops is kind of a PITA... so they just sort of stick around.

I keep 8 strops accessible.

Three Vintage Red Imps
Three Kanayama Llama's a 30k and 70k + one vintage (928)
One Seal Skin
One Deepcut 323 by Certifyd with a Russian Shell strop for a second component.

I currently have (5) which are a Tony Miller Spanish bridle, Kanayama 50k, Scrupleworks HH, Westholme Cordovan and lastly a double sided paddle from Martin from his now closed up shop Rasurpur Shaving

image.jpg

image.jpg

- 4 Scrupleworks: 2.5” Swedish bridle/cotton, 3” oil tanned horsehide/linen, 2.5” Horween Shell cordovan/linen, and 2” oil tanned horsehide practice strop

- 2 TM: 3” slick horsehide/cotton and 2.5” notovan/linen

- 3” Dovo Russian leather

- 2 rasoir Sabre: 3” steerhide/linen, 3” horse shell/denim

- Kanayama 70000

- Mastro Livi Small Loom Strop

I like them all, but my least favorite are the ones with the least draw: Dovo and TM slick horsehide. Still they are nice for some blades

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just two, both of calf-hide from Kyrgyzstan. One is about 600mm x 61mm that is my "at-home" strop and the other is about 450mm x 61mm as my travelling strop. Both include a matching canvas strop.

I have no desire to obtain any other stops. What I have suits my needs.

A lot. More than 30 at this point. I enjoy collecting vintage strops. Some are NOS and some needed resto to bring them back to life.

I made a post in this thread back in 2014... but things have changed in 6 years, as you may expect. :D

Westholme 3" Shell Cordovan with flax
Tony Miller 3" (Old #2) Heirloom Steer with cotton
Tony Miller 2.5" (Old #2) Heirloom Cordovan w/ cotton
SRD 3" Bridal w/ synthetic
SRD 3" Bridal with synthetic that I shortened and took the handles off to make a travel strop
And a SRD 3" Red Latigo piece that I keep around as a spare for some reason...

The Westholme is the only one I use at home. The others (other than my travel strop) just hang in the closet. The Westholme is super super fast with barely any draw, and I kinda love that!

Bump, let’s see what hanging around in your den

Seven currently live in the den although there are a few more workhorses in the shop

Three vintage horse with linen seconds
Mountain Goat Brand #405
C-Mon Peter J Michels #410
Black Craftsmam

Four modern systems
Kanayama #3 with canvas and suede
Tony Miller Plane Vanilla, leather component replaced with a Roughout Heavy Draw
Tony Miller Horween Notovan with a linen second
Neil Miller Horween cordovan with linen second

View attachment 1090976View attachment 1090977
Wow that’s a cool plate to hang the strops on! Definitely need one but then I’m gonna want more than one strop. Haha
As a straight razor newb, i have only purchased the one TM 3” veg tanned horsehide and linen

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Wow that’s a cool plate to hang the strops on! Definitely need one but then I’m gonna want more than one strop. Haha
As a straight razor newb, i have only purchased the one TM 3” veg tanned horsehide and linen

thanks, it was a flea market find years ago. To the left is a door. When open it hides the strops and gives me the SWMBO seal of approval

I only have two. The first one was a cheap Chinese strop which I still use for travel. Not by best strop by any stretch of the imagination, but it still works and was perfectly adequate for learning to strop. My other strop is a home made one. It is approx 75mm (3" or there abouts) and just shy of 700mm (or 27") made of kangaroo skin. While it isn't as pretty as many of the strops pictured in this thread, it works really well.

View attachment 1091190

View attachment 1091191
- 4 Scrupleworks: 2.5” Swedish bridle/cotton, 3” oil tanned horsehide/linen, 2.5” Horween Shell cordovan/linen, and 2” oil tanned horsehide practice strop

- 2 TM: 3” slick horsehide/cotton and 2.5” notovan/linen

- 3” Dovo Russian leather

- 2 rasoir Sabre: 3” steerhide/linen, 3” horse shell/denim

- Kanayama 70000

- Mastro Livi Small Loom Strop

I like them all, but my least favorite are the ones with the least draw: Dovo and TM slick horsehide. Still they are nice for some blades

Top Bottom