What's new

How Many Strops Do You Own?

A SRD 3 inch wide #1 i believe
3 star shaving strops
2 burlap homemade jobers
1 hemp homemade job
2 nylon homemade pasted web strops
jemico loom strop
numerous balsa with hard felt pasted with diamond spray to iron oxide.etc etc.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So,,, just guessing here, but You like Tony's strops? :laugh:

Lol. I am his biggest fan ;-). I really like the look and feel of his handles and leather, so despite all the great other strops out there I stuck to Tony's.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So,,, just guessing here, but You like Tony's strops? :laugh:

Also, I started my straight shaving experience just as Tony retired from strop making, so I really wanted his strops badly as they were unobtanium at that time, and the only other prolific makers were the SRD Tony Miller design copies(IMO of course). So when he ramped up production again I bought one of everything he made :). It is a sickness I tell ya!

Also, I started my straight shaving experience just as Tony retired from strop making, so I really wanted his strops badly as they were unobtanium at that time, and the only other prolific makers were the SRD Tony Miller design copies(IMO of course). So when he ramped up production again I bought one of everything he made :). It is a sickness I tell ya!

Not a bad sickness to have. I have a weakness for fine leather as well. A Tony Miller Horween Cordovan would definitely be on my dream list.

In your opinion if one was to purchase a Ton Miller strop, is there any real difference between getting on with the handles as opposed to the D-Rings. I'm used to handles but was wondering if it really matters.

In your opinion if one was to purchase a Ton Miller strop, is there any real difference between getting on with the handles as opposed to the D-Rings. I'm used to handles but was wondering if it really matters.
i do not own a tm strop.however i have a nice two piece strop with D rings in place of a handle.i have found D rings easier to hold than the handles if/when my arthritis flairs up.hope this helps you.

i do not own a tm strop.however i have a nice two piece strop with D rings in place of a handle.i have found D rings easier to hold than the handles if/when my arthritis flairs up.hope this helps you.
It does. Thank you!

I started with handles... when I ordered the TM, I decided to try D rings, since I could always put handles on it later if I wanted.

Maybe I am crazy, but I discovered that holding the D rings actually gives you better feedback from the strop. I feel like I am more connected to the strop. I have come to like it better than handles. :)

I have a TM that came with handles...I took them off and installed the d-rings from my SRD strop. I much prefer no handles.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Handles, rings or cut ends, they are all good. I just like the look of handles better.

Uh...this many:

$DB980183-2D1C-4766-9D3A-A6D175753C33.jpg

I started with handles... when I ordered the TM, I decided to try D rings, since I could always put handles on it later if I wanted.

Maybe I am crazy, but I discovered that holding the D rings actually gives you better feedback from the strop. I feel like I am more connected to the strop. I have come to like it better than handles. :)
Cool, I also got the TM with the D rings, and was thinking of ordering the handles for Xmas, but I'll stick with the D rings for now. I get what your saying about the feed back.

Two:
a long 2.5" Scrupleworks with worsted wool cloth component
an Old Traditional bought at The Different Scent.
... oh, and another 3" Horween leather Scrupleworks on loan :)

Cool, I also got the TM with the D rings, and was thinking of ordering the handles for Xmas, but I'll stick with the D rings for now. I get what your saying about the feed back.

What color handles to you need? I have the handles from my TM sitting around collecting dust. They are natural color...

Top Bottom