What's new

Why Spend more than $100 on a Brush?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have been trying out all sorts of brushes over 100 dollars lately. Some of them I find worth it and others I don't. Comes down to what you want in a brush. I am very happy with my Thater.

All I am saying is that there is a lot of joy in less sophisticated and less expensive brushes too. A guy need not feel like he must spend $200+ on a brush to get a great experience - IMHO.

but I don't see how these sorts of threads add to the discussion or "culture" of our group

A lot of this is relative. I have friends that shave with goo out of a can and think I am absolutely nuts for paying $100 for a Rooney; or even buying and using a brush at all.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
M
I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I don't see how these sorts of threads add to the discussion or "culture" of our group. I think the "Best Brush Under $XXX" and "Best Bang For Your Buck" threads are great. These types of threads, however, usually breed hostility, venom, and resentment.

I'm glad B&B isn't ruled with a heavy hand (or fist), but I'm a member of other forums dedicated to non-essential, excessive spending practices. Same thing happens there. Why spend more than $XXX on pipes, shoes, lighters, humidors, golf clubs, blow jobs...the list could go on, but the end result is always the same. The frugal or value conscious members end up hurling insults at the frivolous spenders (viewed from the other perspective, the gentlemen who value quality and hand-made goods hurl insults at the cheap-*** tight wads), everyone gets their feelings hurt, takes their ball and goes home -- i.e. it creates rifts, division, cliques, or whatever you want to call it.

Part of what makes B&B so great (in my opinion) is that we're not just a bunch of "atta boy -- great brush/razor/soap/whatever". If something sucks, we'll say it sucks. If a soap stinks or won't lather, we can say that and the mods don't beat us over the head. Many other forums (this is not necessarily directed at other wet shaving forums, just forums in general) have this attitude that every vendor, manufacturer, and product is wonderful...at least that's what they say because mods will "discipline" them and if they keep it up, they're gone -- that sucks. We can speak our minds here, but I think within that context, it should be productive.

If you bought a Simpson or Kent brush and you hated it because you thought it was floppy, shed, and had lathe marks, post it. That adds value, and I doubt the mods would say a word. Going back to my original point, I'm not sure this thread really adds much value.

Everyone is free to disagree with me, as the OP says, to each his own.

Just to be clear dreadpirate, I'm not trying to "flame" you, and I didn't take offense to your post. Printed words lack voice tone and inflection. If the latter two were present, you would know I'm coming from a very sincere, non-confrontational place, and my post is only because I care about the health and growth of this great community which has taught and given me so much over the years -- not self-righteous indignation.

I seriously fail to see your point. No one posted any self-righteous indignation here. The gentleman asked a simple question and the members are politely answering him. His post adds every bit as much value as the "what's your favorite sub $100 brush". I have seen no venom or resentment in this threas

Last edited:
M

I seriously fail to see your point. No one posted any self-righteous indignation here. The gentleman asked a simple question and the members are politely answering him. His post adds every bit as much value as the "what's your favorite sub $100 brush". I have seen no venom or resentment in this threas

I was saying my post wasn't stemming from self-righteous indignation.

You're right, it had not gone down that path, yet, and I never said it had, yet.

It's like the badger hair harvesting/humane brush threads. They start off innocent enough, but sooner or later...

For the record, I never claimed the OP was trolling or trying to stir the pot. I was just trying to pre-emptively stop the thread from going down the rabbit hole.

I'll go back to lurking now...

The one thing I haven't seen answered is what the $100 plus brushes have that lessor priced brushes don't.

And let's say things that aren't just cosmetic.

Also are we talking usable or collectable?

I don't know if there is a market for a gold diamond studded handle but that would be eye of the beholder.

Those are two directions this discussion could go.

Until I came to this forum I would have never considered a pair of $500 shoes. I have now been educated. Had I learned sooner I would have bought a pair or two a long time ago and probably still have them. I have basically been buying the same shoe for $150 every year or two.

I imagine people spend over $100 on a brush for the same reason I have easily $100 worth of shaving soap crammed in my bathroom drawer. Is having a ridiculous amount of soap any less sensible than spending $100 on the brush you use to apply it? I don't care if it makes sense; I just friggin dig it, mang.

I have a Whipped Dog Silvertip that's essentially my first badger brush. I enjoy it and I don't see the burning necessity for anything superior. That being said, I completely see the merits of more expensive brushes. I've learned to enjoy the overall experience of shaving the way that others have, and that's why the market for higher end brushes exists. WD knots are imported from China. They're fine knots. But thank god they're coming assembled from China otherwise they'd be out of my price range.

WD is special because they're a compromise in quality that clearly favors the consumer. Cheaper knots that are still good enough that people with $200 brushes are still interested in them. But I'm sure we can all name tons of other crap that we spend extra money on because it's hand made by someone in Europe or North America. Or maybe other things that used to be made very well when they were produced with higher standards in mind..... Shiny things... Made of brass.... That are slowly taking over my bathroom counter.

I don't own a brush over $35, yet I see a ton of perfectly good reasons for owning one.

Last edited:
I have 3 brushes; Rooney, Semogue, and an olive wood handle Dovo (my first brush). These are all great brushes. All under $100 (just barely for the Rooney and Dovo). (Also have a Muhle travel brush; but that doesn't count).

Hell - there are a lot of great brushes under $50. Look at the Vintage Blades brand badgers.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/shop/Vintage-Blades-Brand/

Semogue boar bristle. Probably the best boar brush on the planet. Or Omega boar and badger brushes. Vulfix.

Won't see me dropping $200+ on a Simpson or a Kent - but to each his own.

There are Simpsons and Kents under $100.

I did not mean to ruffle any feathers - so I stand here cap in hand and apologize if that's the case.

Can I indulge everyone by sharing some of my experience? As I mentioned earlier, I got a Dovo brush - just cause it was made of olive wood and looked cool. Well - Dovo really is a straight razor maker - the brush was intended to match a straight razor with olive wood scales. Not one of the "in crowd" brushes. It is a floppy brush - and the popular consensus is that a floppy brush is bad. Everyone raved about badger brushes that were dense and had a lot of backbone. So I got the Rooney 1/2 and the Dovo got shelved. The Rooney is good - but it is not my brush nirvana. So I continued to look at the rather expensive Rooney Heritage brushes, when on a lark I decided to try a boar bristle brush (an $8 Omega boar bristle) as a test. I discovered then that I liked a scratchier brush. So I decided to research these boar brushes more and ended up with the Semogue 830. Wow! What a great brush! It is soft - but not too soft. It's firm - but not too firm (the Omega is really stiff). It can lather up anything. The handle is ergonomically perfect (for me). It's an attractive brush with a respected brand. And the price is like $24. (OBTW - I gave the Omega away).

And then it hits me. I feel deceived. I almost dropped a lot of money on a very expensive Rooney - and I find my perfect brush for $24. Now the Rooney gets shelved. I have been using the Semogue for something like 2 years now.

If you are proud and happy with your top shelf badger brush - that's great. You can't put a dollar value on that. For me, it was a dead end and I don't think a $200+ badger brush is going to change that.

Oh - and by the way - I still pull out the Dovo every once and a while. Nothing wrong with a floppy brush and a tub of TOBS cream!

I imagine people spend over $100 on a brush for the same reason I have easily $100 worth of shaving soap crammed in my bathroom drawer. Is having a ridiculous amount of soap any less sensible than spending $100 on the brush you use to apply it? I don't care if it makes sense; I just friggin dig it, mang.

I have a Whipped Dog Silvertip that's essentially my first badger brush. I enjoy it and I don't see the burning necessity for anything superior. That being said, I completely see the merits of more expensive brushes. I've learned to enjoy the overall experience of shaving the way that others have, and that's why the market for higher end brushes exists. WD knots are imported from China. They're fine knots. But thank god they're coming assembled from China otherwise they'd be out of my price range.

WD is special because they're a compromise in quality that clearly favors the consumer. Cheaper knots that are still good enough that people with $200 brushes are still interested in them. But I'm sure we can all name tons of other crap that we spend extra money on because it's hand made by someone in Europe or North America. Or maybe other things that used to be made very well when they were produced with higher standards in mind..... Shiny things... Made of brass.... That are slowly taking over my bathroom counter.

I don't own a brush over $35, yet I see a ton of perfectly good reasons for owning one.

This.^ I could never justify that much expense on a brush.

Because different people value $100.00 differently. In general, people making $250,000 a year put less value on $100.00 than someone making $40,000 a year. There are doctors, lawyers, and other professionals on this forum that could be making that much so, of course, their discretionary income is much larger.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
There you go, Dreadpirate. There's certainly no need to spend mega-bucks on a brush just to be popular with the "cool kids". You should find what you like and stick with it. That's what I did with the first razor I bought; it was so good I never saw a need to try a hundred different one. And there's nothing wrong with floppy brushes; they're good for creams or hard soaps, including triple milled. My floppiest brush is my Plisson HMW (2 actually), I used it with a triple milled English soap yesterday and had no proplem lathering up. BTW, I didn't buy the Plissons, I traded 12 brushes for them, they're way over my price point

I don't take the op post to be directed against those who choose to buy a premium, luxury brush. Rather, I think many of us are just looking to get a DFS. When you see super expensive brushes, there is always a tendency to think, "am I really missing something? Could I be enjoying a much better shave?" So, without putting down those who wish to splurge, collect or spoil themselves, it's only natural for people to be curious as to what real "value added" are they forgoing by not getting a top-end brush.

Now, that value-added could just be the satisfaction of owning a truly exceptional, rare quality brush. And if that's what you want, then great! That's a valid enough impulse. However, the consensus seems to be that you start to see diminishing marginal returns pretty quickly as you go up the scale. Which isn't to say that these expensive brushes aren't, in some way, "better" , (the usual caveats of YMMV notwithstanding) but that the improvements are relatively marginal and incremental. Subtle refinements which some may well appreciate and that's great. If you have the resources and want to be a connoisseur collector, then more power to you.

The egalitarian flip side is that you can have a "good" affordable brush for under $100 and get 90-95% of the experience/performance. I think that's great because quality wet shaving should be something that is accessible to gentleman of all incomes and walks of life. I think it's important that newcomers realize they can achieve shaving perfection without spending a fortune.

TL;DR : to each his own, but it seems the consensus is you can have a great shave for modest investment. High spending leads to diminishing marginal returns in most things.

Top Bottom