What's new

Why Spend more than $100 on a Brush?

I have 3 brushes; Rooney, Semogue, and an olive wood handle Dovo (my first brush). These are all great brushes. All under $100 (just barely for the Rooney and Dovo). (Also have a Muhle travel brush; but that doesn't count).

Hell - there are a lot of great brushes under $50. Look at the Vintage Blades brand badgers.

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/shop/Vintage-Blades-Brand/

Semogue boar bristle. Probably the best boar brush on the planet. Or Omega boar and badger brushes. Vulfix.

Won't see me dropping $200+ on a Simpson or a Kent - but to each his own.

I don't think its about how much money you spent...it more about what style of brush you like firstly then the money in that style of brush. Then after that consider the ranking in that style...hi quality Badger costs more than Boar or Horse or mixed hair even if they are not better or worse.

I think you are right.......the more I look at brushes the more I find fantastic looking custom made brushes right from some of our own venders. Many for under a $100.

I don't think its about how much money you spent...it more about what style of brush you like firstly then the money in that style of brush.

Especially, if you like very large brushes! It is very difficult to find a very good 28mm or larger knot for under $100. :biggrin1:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
There are plenty of good to excellent sub $100 brushes out there, but if what you want is, for instance is a Chubby2 or 3 in some hair grades you have to be willing to go the extra mile. A couple of my Simpsons are right around $100, but I really wanted the Chubby2 Super, and the 2 Plisson Horn HMW, so had to go for more money. Same with the PJ2 Super. Some times I think I should have just stayed with my first brush, a Vulfix 2235

everyone is different thats the best answer. i will pay more because i prefer my brush to "look" a certain way. while vintage blades brush would do me just fine, it doesnt have the look of a m&f or a simpson. i want a certain handle style and most cheaper brushes dont deliver there. while the aesthetics of the brush are not important to some, it is to me. if i can get a brush that not only appeals to me, but checks all of my boxes in performance, i would gladly pay more for it, and then i would also buy two of them, because when i find something that i really love, i hate the thought of some day it being discontinued or changed and not being able to replace it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
reThere are a couple aspects to the question.

One is pure philosophy. Some people have an upper limit they are simply not going to cross.

One is a matter of one's personal finances. Some people do not have a chunk of money at this time in their lives to spend on a brush.

Another is the refusal to purchase something for which one lacks the appreciation to validate the cost.

I respect all three. Allow me to relate my diamond buying experience. I was purchasing a diamond necklace for SWMBO a few years ago. The saleswoman had a collection of diamonds all the same size. The first was $1500 (I'm ballparking here as my memory is not that good). Looked nice. Then she held it next to an $1800 stone. Whoa, big difference. OK, now I'm at $1800. She held that next to a $2400 stone. Wow. Now I'm at $2400. Next comes the $2800 stone - and I could see no difference. The saleswoman, bless her heart, agreed that nobody should pay for a difference they can't see. So at least I saved that $400.

But I think it's important to say that there definitely was a difference between the one I purchased and the more expensive stone - I just didn't have the ability to perceive that difference. I could tell you there was no difference - that was, after all, my experience - but that doeesn't make it true.

If you are satisfied with the products at a certain price level I think that's great, but let's all try not to denigrate anyone else who finds their satisfaction at a higher price point.

Climbing down off my soap box now.

10. Because you got fired from work for spending to much time faceturbating.

9. You want your brush to cost less than your razor.

8. Because Silvertip Hair should have a sterling silver handle.

7. You don't want your neighbors to think you are cheap.

6. You don't have enough for the rent so why not.

5. It's part of a set.

4. It's autographed by Harrison Ford.

3. It matches your shoes.

2. Chicks dig men with silvertips.

1. Because you can.

Why buy ferarri when you can get a Ford focus? Because it's awesome.:lol:

Well - I don't think a Rooney comparable to Ford Focus - but your point is well taken. It also boils down to what you consider a luxury versus just throwing your money away - and I can understand why someone would want to get the Ferrari. For me - the Porsche is good enough.

[EDIT] ok - I will admit that the Vintage Blades brush is a Ford Focus.

"to each his own" is right on the money, so to speak. I am a Semogue guy, but more power to the gent that wants to spend more. Variety is the spice of life.

There comes a time in your life when you want to enjoy the joys of luxury. I won't spend a fortune on a brush but my daVinci, Shavemac, and other brushes have given me a lot of enjoyment.

I have about 12 brushes and all but 3 are custom made and 3 of the 9 I designed and had the artist turn it out with my brush of choice, it all comes down to what you
Like and what you are willing to spend

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but I don't see how these sorts of threads add to the discussion or "culture" of our group. I think the "Best Brush Under $XXX" and "Best Bang For Your Buck" threads are great. These types of threads, however, usually breed hostility, venom, and resentment.

I'm glad B&B isn't ruled with a heavy hand (or fist), but I'm a member of other forums dedicated to non-essential, excessive spending practices. Same thing happens there. Why spend more than $XXX on pipes, shoes, lighters, humidors, golf clubs, lube jobs...the list could go on, but the end result is always the same. The frugal or value conscious members end up hurling insults at the frivolous spenders (viewed from the other perspective, the gentlemen who value quality and hand-made goods hurl insults at the cheap-*** tight wads), everyone gets their feelings hurt, takes their ball and goes home -- i.e. it creates rifts, division, cliques, or whatever you want to call it.

Part of what makes B&B so great (in my opinion) is that we're not just a bunch of "atta boy -- great brush/razor/soap/whatever". If something sucks, we'll say it sucks. If a soap stinks or won't lather, we can say that and the mods don't beat us over the head. Many other forums (this is not necessarily directed at other wet shaving forums, just forums in general) have this attitude that every vendor, manufacturer, and product is wonderful...at least that's what they say because mods will "discipline" them and if they keep it up, they're gone -- that sucks. We can speak our minds here, but I think within that context, it should be productive.

If you bought a Simpson or Kent brush and you hated it because you thought it was floppy, shed, and had lathe marks, post it. That adds value, and I doubt the mods would say a word. Going back to my original point, I'm not sure this thread really adds much value.

Everyone is free to disagree with me, as the OP says, to each his own.

Just to be clear dreadpirate, I'm not trying to "flame" you, and I didn't take offense to your post. Printed words lack voice tone and inflection. If the latter two were present, you would know I'm coming from a very sincere, non-confrontational place, and my post is only because I care about the health and growth of this great community which has taught and given me so much over the years -- not self-righteous indignation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom