What's new

Six months in - Some thoughts/advice.

So, I've been shaving with a safety razor for a couple of years and decided to have a crack with a straight. I bought the following;

Fendrihan Acanthus Limited Edition Dovo Straight Razor 6/8", Grenadille Wood Handle
$DOV66810_Dovo_Fendrihan_68_Acanthus_straight_razor.jpg$petit francais.jpg
Thiers Issard "Petit Francais"

I sent them all off for sharpening at the classic edge who did a great job, watched a few videos online and dived in for my first shave. The end result was I looked like I had fallen head first into the lawnmower. I was disappointed and gave myself a bit of a fright to be honest.
Back to the drawing board. I took the few positives from my first shave, the flat planes on the left side of my face (I'm a southpaw) and concentrated on that next time, better. With baby steps I got the left side down pretty much pat but was still struggling with the right, under the chin and under the nose. I persevered and now I'm almost there.
Things I learnt.
  • It is a challenge at first, I nearly gave up but stuck with it precisely because it is difficult and I wanted to master it. I get an amazing shave with my DE razor and nearly bailed on my straight razor a few times.
  • I do one quick pass with my DE razor first. This way I'm focussed on technique rather than the quality of the shave.
  • I found the YT videos helpful but there are times when you need to do what works for you. For me, I use my left hand on parts of the right side of my face, I'm happier with that and it works so that's what I stick with. A purist probably wouldn't like it but hey, it's my face.
  • If I'm tired or hungover (hey, it happens) then I don't do it, I want my hand to be steady.
  • I don't shave every day, I'm up at 5.20am so I use my DE most week days but save my straight shaving for the weekend, at the moment, that will change as I gain confidence.

If you fancy it, give it a go, it's extremely satisfying when you progress and I'm sure this is part of a long journey for me. Do what works for you and take it slowly. Good luck.

PS - Styptic pencil, get one.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome to the Dark Side! :straight:

Yeah, starting out can be rough. There are a few folks here that just picked it up super easy. I hate them. :lol: Like you, it was pretty rough for me when I started out, but I kept at it. Now I use a straight over 90% of the time and now it is not a problem for me to stumble into the bathroom at 5:30 and shower and shave.

I also am a single-hand shaver and it does take a little bit of getting used to going cross-face, but it work for me. As you correctly said, "hey, it's my face." :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Go to youtube and search for the three pass shave. Watch the video of the gentleman listening to classical music during his shave. This video really helped me develop my S.R. shaving technique.

Congrats!

I would hope we don't have any such "purists" here in our fine membership. If using only your main hand works for you, and you enjoy the shave, that is what you should be doing then. If you switch hands for some parts and not others, same thing. :)

It's a move you'll never regret, even if it's just for the learning experience.
+1!

I don't switch hands, but I'm starting to train myself how. I find that my shave is inconsistent on the XTG pass if I don't. That being said, as a newbie I probably shouldn't be doing xtg ;)

Nice post and good tips. I started this summer, took some time off, and have only gotten back to the straight a couple of times since. Still want to master it and just need to suck it up and jump in again.

Nice post and good tips. I started this summer, took some time off, and have only gotten back to the straight a couple of times since. Still want to master it and just need to suck it up and jump in again.

Reading some peoples journals on their learning experiences with a straight is what motivated me to pick mine back up, after I'd set it aside 30 or so shaves in, and hadn't touched it in like 6 or 7 months...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/160-Journals-and-Diaries

That's quite the pretty Dovo.

Those are good lessons. Like some of the comments above: I don't put too much into the whole "shave with both hands" thing. My off-hand is incapable of lathering my face without filling my nostrils: I'd hate to see what it would do with a straight.

Start every shave with your off hand. You will learn. Your primary hand will learn from your off faster than the reverse.

Top Bottom