What's new

What are the origins of shaving anyway?

Greetings,
Anyone know for sure where the whole idea and concept of shaving originated? It doesn't exactly seem like the most natural and normal of things to do for a human being to drag a razors edge akin to a knife or swords edge across ones skin and cut off all their hair does it?

"Ahhh, let me see here, I'm bored so I think I'll take this knife I have here with a razor sharp edge and drag it across my skin and cut off all my whiskers and hair....":blink::001_huh:

Thanks

"Egyptians shaved their beards and heads which was a custom adopted by the Greeks and Romans about 330BC during the reign of Alexander the Great.
This was encouraged for soldiers as a defensive measure to stop enemies from grabbing their hair in hand-to-hand combat.
As shaving spread through the world, men of unshaven societies became known as "barbarians" meaning the "unbarbered". The practice of women shaving legs and underarms developed much later.
Men scraped their hair away in early times man with crude items such as stone, flint, clam shells and other sharpened materials. He later experimented with bronze, copper and iron razors.
In more recent centuries he used the steel straight razor (aptly called the "cut-throat" for obvious reasons)."

http://www.moderngent.com/history_of_shaving/history_of_shaving.php

The kingdom of Arko in 900 BC; there mystical men formed a shaving cult which later became known for the city from which they came.

I'm sure it was shortly after the first cutting tools were discovered. Probably a broken piece of obsidian.

None of us were there to remember what sparked the idea. And that guy didn't keep a diary. It will forever remain unknown.

None of us were there to remember what sparked the idea. And that guy didn't keep a diary. It will forever remain unknown.

It's in here somewhere.:tongue_sm

$anasazi.jpg

Someone drew a picture of their sundial on their wrist and people suggested it would be better with less hair. Hence shaving was born.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I remember the day well. I was sitting around, bored off my hairy butt, when my beard started to itch. I has been playing with a piece of obsidian, and scratched my face with it. Well, lo and behold, a big patch of hair came off my face. My girlfriend, Oola, laughed at first, then felt the bare patch and said, " Oooh, that feels nice". And so SWMBO actually got this fad started. She got just a bit annoyed a few weeks later when she saw the 128 pieces of obsidian I was hoarding; thus was the start of AD. A mere month later, Oola invented soap and it's all been downhill from there. So, folks, now you know.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Because Chuck Norris doesn't like competition.

Well, who am I kidding, mankind is no competition to Chuck Norris.

"Egyptians shaved their beards and heads which was a custom adopted by the Greeks and Romans about 330BC during the reign of Alexander the Great.
This was encouraged for soldiers as a defensive measure to stop enemies from grabbing their hair in hand-to-hand combat.
As shaving spread through the world, men of unshaven societies became known as "barbarians" meaning the "unbarbered". The practice of women shaving legs and underarms developed much later.
Men scraped their hair away in early times man with crude items such as stone, flint, clam shells and other sharpened materials. He later experimented with bronze, copper and iron razors.
In more recent centuries he used the steel straight razor (aptly called the "cut-throat" for obvious reasons)."

http://www.moderngent.com/history_of_shaving/history_of_shaving.php

I have heard the Romans used to shave with clam shells but I do wonder if they used aftershave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the day well. I was sitting around, bored off my hairy butt, when my beard started to itch. I has been playing with a piece of obsidian, and scratched my face with it. Well, lo and behold, a big patch of hair came off my face. My girlfriend, Oola, laughed at first, then felt the bare patch and said, " Oooh, that feels nice". And so SWMBO actually got this fad started. She got just a bit annoyed a few weeks later when she saw the 128 pieces of obsidian I was hoarding; thus was the start of AD. A mere month later, Oola invented soap and it's all been downhill from there. So, folks, now you know.

That is hilarious!

Top Bottom