What's new

Ingredients?

First off, a disclaimer: I am a recovering engineer, so I tend to be a little overANALytical. But then again, this is B&B...so maybe that's not viewed as a bad thing. So...please bear with me...

I'm pondering adding a new soap (yes, just one, dammit!) to my arsenal, and I'm factoring in reviews, skin sensitivity, and ingredients.

My opinion is that my skin is a bit sensitive, and shaving, as zen-like and pleasurable as it is, does cause some trauma to the skin. So, I'd like to minimize the "chemistry set" nature of what I slather on my face. I'm careful about soaps to wash with and AS balms, etc. So...onto the new soap.

One of the candidates is Proraso Red. Here is the published list of ingredients:

• Aqua (water)
  • Stearic Acid
  • cocos nucifera (coconut) Oil
  • Potassium Hydroxide
  • Glycerin
  • Sodium Hydroxide
  • Lactic Acid
  • Parfum (fragrance)
  • butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter
  • Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter
  • Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate
  • Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate
  • Tetrasodium EDTA
  • Hydroxyethlcellulose
  • citronellol
  • Geraniol
  • Limonene
  • Linalool
  • Coumarin
  • Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate
  • Santalum album (Sandalwood) Oil

Good grief! The ones in RED seem like things I don't want to work into my skin with a steel blade!

By contrast, here are the ingredients in Henry Cavendish Himalayan Shaving Soap:

• Glycerin
  • Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil
  • Sodium Castorate (Castor) Oil
  • Sodium Hydroxide
  • Purified Water
  • Carthamus Tinctorius (Hybrid Safflower) Seed Oil
  • Sorbitol (Moisturizer)
  • Shea Butter
  • Soy
  • Himalaya Fragrance (a blend of exotic woods: Indian cedar, Himalayan blue pine, cashmere musk and Indian amber

Here's the ingredient list for Bebelush Barbershop Shave Soap with Shea, Mango and Cocoa Butter :
  • Sodium Cocoate
  • Propylene Glycol
  • Sodium Stearate
  • Glycerin
  • Water
  • Sorbitol
  • Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Seed Butter
  • Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter
  • Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter
  • Chlorophyll
  • Pimenta Racemosa Oil (Bay Rum)
  • Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Five Fold Sweet Orange) Peel Oil
  • Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil
  • Titanium Dioxide

And here's Captain`s Choice Bay Rum Shaving Soap by Razorock:
  • Water
  • Stearic Acid
  • Coconut Oil
  • Potassium Hydroxide
  • Sodium Hydroxide
  • Myristic Acid
  • Fragrance
  • Argan Oil

Another one (not a candidate, one the I use): Cella Crema da Barba All'Olio di Mandorla (I love using the full name...):
  • Cocos Nucifera Oil
  • Tallow
  • Stearic Acid
  • Potassium Hydroxide
  • Sodium Hydroxide
  • Aqua
  • Potassium Carbonate
  • Parfum

Finally, an old favorite (also one I use), Williams Mug Soap:
  • Sodium Tallowate
  • Potassium Stearate
  • Sodium Cocoate
  • Water
  • Glycerin
  • Tetrasodium Etidronate
  • Pentasodium Pentetate
  • Fragrance
  • Titanium Dioxide

I'm not picking on on Proraso, but it seems to have a large faithful following here, almost rivaling Cella. And there are surely other soaps with considerably extensive ingredient lists.

But...the "other" ones I listed above (and I could also list more, but I sense readers beginning to doze off...) seem to be kinder and gentler, no? Better for one's facial skin?

Why are all the impossible-to-pronounce ingredients necessary?

I am not a recovering chemical engineer, so I'm out of my element here. But I know there are some B&Bers who have considerable chemical expertise -- and maybe have already done some analyses like I'm trying to do. I'm confident that the collective wisdom here on B&B will provide some sage advice.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Thanks in advance for the advice and comments.

I think some of them are detergents to aid in lathering as well.

I've been trying to pay attention to this lately. As you've pointed out, it's really not that hard with soaps to find more natural alternatives. It gets much more difficult when you are looking at exfoliating scrubs and moisturizers.

If you have sensitive skin, you might want to stay away from any soap with citrus oils or spicy oils like clove. They smell great but can really irritate some skin. Of the above soaps, the Captain`s Choice Bay Rum Shaving Soap by Razorock seems to be the most natural.

Sidebar: I'm certainly not a soap or chemical expert. These are just a few things I've learned since joining B&B. I also don't intend for my answers to seem short or dismissive. I prefer artisan products because they don't contain these types of ingredients. Artisan products are made in small batches and sold on the fly while companies like Proraso make massive quantities and want the product to hold up for a few years longer before and after it sells.

Interesting thread...thanks. Seems like a lot of variance of experience.

I just walked over to the bathroom to check my tub of Cella (what? no, I don't carry it with me...) to see if it had an expiration date. I found the following number stamped on the tub: 01314B

Is that the expiration date? Can someone (perhaps in Italy...) interpret that?

BTW, I bought the tub about a month ago, the soap is pure white and smells like marzipan :001_smile I let it air-dry for a few hours after use, then re-cap it; it's kept at room temperature. I hope this will keep it for a while...I use it on weekends, so it will be a while before it's gone.

Have you tried any of the artisanal soaps? A few of them actually make unscented soaps for those with sensitivities to EOs or FOs.
Good luck.

One of the candidates is Proraso Red. Here is the published list of ingredients:

• Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate

Sorry for the long-winded post. Thanks in advance for the advice and comments.

In the 1950s and 1960s, it was an ingredient in Colgate toothpaste, and was heavily promoted as "Gardol."

cosmeticsinfo.org will tell you what those ingredients are and what they do. And sometimes those un-pronounceable names are just the scientific name of a common, natural substance.

Wow. I can appreciate your background, training, and attention to detail.

I'd suggest to just buy a reasonably-priced, widely popular soap and try it.

After all, this is only shaving.

Proraso green, Arko, La Toja just to name 3.

Good luck.

I see lather enhancers, chelating ingredients, thickeners, and preservatives in the Proraso. The Henry Cavendish ingredient list looks like a melt and pour soap (first ingredient glycerin, sorbitol is a giveaway) with an incomplete ingredient list, e.g. "soy" doesn't tell us much...probably soy protein, another common melt and pour ingredient. The ingredients include fragrance oil. Nothing wrong with that, but they shouldn't claim to be "all natural". Bebelush is also melt and pour. If you want a real soap, with simple ingredients, the Razorock or soap from most any of the artisan vendors here would be a better bet than the two you are looking at as alternatives to your Proraso.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
sometimes those un-pronounceable names are just the scientific name of a common, natural substance.

Yep.

$19cthsq3h02qrpng.png

Generally it's gonna be there as a preservative, hardening agent, or solution to hard water lathering.

Some people don't want them in their soaps. These people are free to buy handmade artisan products, or commercial products without them. That's why we have ingredients lists.

No, these don't necessarily make the soap any harder on your skin. Some may. You may be sensitive to some, just as you may be sensitive to certain scenting agents. Others may do so indirectly by making the soap more effect (soap is naturally irritating, it removes protective oils from your skin along with foreign objects. Techniques such as adding excess fat to soaps make it more gentle by interfering with its primary function (cleaning)). But it's silly to automatically rule out soaps with these additives as "harder on your skin". MdC (a great soap without these additives) is more drying than the vast majority of commercial shaving soaps; yet it's an all natural, hand made soap.

Thanks for all the feedback...good information!

I will take a deep, cleansing breath and not really worry about all the "strange" ingredients. I hate to think of all the stuff I've ingested over the years that is now considered vile and unhealthful (but next week will be OK!). And I've turned out generally OK...no health problems.

As one poster said...it's only shaving. And I will keep it enjoyable and relaxing...if it feels good, do it (a mantra from the 60s, IIRC, but I don't recall a great deal from the 60s...).

Thanks again...now off to buy some soap!

Take a look at the ingredients of Martin De Condre. Simple and pure no chemicals no preservatives and a great soap

Top Bottom