What's new

The harvesting of hairs from Badgers, Horses and Boars to make shaving brushes

I'm new to brushes and was wondering how brush hairs are harvested from Badgers, Horses and Boars. I was doing some reading and learned that the badger hairs are taken from the "Asian Badger". I was wondering if anyone knew a little more information about this "Asian Badger"? Where exactly do they live in Asia, for example? Which species or sub-species of badger are we talking about here? This then led me to wonder where all the hairs are primarily coming from to supply brushes for horse and boar hair brushes? Are these also coming from "Asia" or further west? Just exactly what kind of horses and boars are hairs being harvested from?
Thank you

Welcome to the world of shaving brushes!
Badger and Boar: by-product of animal farming
Horse: taken from mane and/ or tail. Animal is not harmed.
In this case, GIYF. Search for 'badger' and append 'badger and blade'

There are synthetic brushes which are an alternative to animal products. I believe horse hair is taken from the mane and tail of the horse.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Vie-Long horse hair brushes (Bull Goose Shaving) are made in Spain; They seem to be the largest producer of quality horse hair brushes.
Almost all (if not all) badger hair comes from China, no matter where the brushes are made.
Boar (pig) bristle hair brushes apparently come from widely available sources.

Vie-Long horse hair brushes (Bull Goose Shaving) are made in Spain; They seem to be the largest producer of quality horse hair brushes.
Almost all (if not all) badger hair comes from China, no matter where the brushes are made.
Boar (pig) bristle hair brushes apparently come from widely available sources.

+1

Badgers are an agricultural pest in China. They attack with great gusto the cabbage crop, a staple for many Chinese. So they trap the badgers and eat them, saving and sorting the hairs for you and me. Pretty much a winning situation for everyone concerned, bar the badger.

I bet there is a need for "Badger whisperers" to lull them into a state that they can be clipped for their hair...an up and coming occupation.

I bet there is a need for "Badger whisperers" to lull them into a state that they can be clipped for their hair...an up and coming occupation.
The mental picture of a bald (and presumably very unhappy) badger is not pleasant. :blink:

I was wondering if anyone knew a little more information about this "Asian Badger"? Where exactly do they live in Asia, for example? Which species or sub-species of badger are we talking about here?

Most badger brushes are probably made from Meles leucurus from China. That is considered a distinct species from the European badger Meles meles. Some European brushmakers may still use M. meles when they can do so legally. There have also been vague and unsubstantiated rumors about other badger species, for example Arctonyx collaris aka hog badger.

Badgers and Boars pay the ultimate price for our shaving enjoyment. If you want to do your part to save an animal species purchase a synthetic brush from L’OCCITANE. A brush made by Plission.

I own all of the above types of brushes. Each has their own special
nuances for generating an applying wonderful facial shaving lather. Pick your poison (shaving brush) and you will receive plenty of great advice before making your purchase.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gents - just a pre-emptive word here;

Let's keep this to what type of animal and from where as asked by the OP.
There will be no tolerance for "animal cruelty" soap-boxing.

To the OP to clear it up -

Badger and boar hair is recovered from the corpse of said animals. Horse hair harvesting does not necessitate the horses death, however - one cannot discount the possibility as horse flesh is consumed in numerous countries, and horses are killed for use in other processes as well.

Gents - just a pre-emptive word here;

Let's keep this to what type of animal and from where as asked by the OP.
There will be no tolerance for "animal cruelty" soap-boxing.

To the OP to clear it up -

Badger and boar hair is recovered from the corpse of said animals. Horse hair harvesting does not necessitate the horses death, however - one cannot discount the possibility as horse flesh is consumed in numerous countries, and horses are killed for use in other processes as well.

My post was made in jest: I own Badgers, Boars, and synthetics. I'm not a member of PETA. Sometimes in my opinion the Moderators are a little to quick on the draw. Please delete my post if you find it offensive.

Top Bottom