What's new

World War I novels

I know this thread is a little specific, but I'm wondering if you can help a guy out with some recommendations. I was talking to a colleague about this topic, and the only novels we could come up with are "All Quiet on the Western Front", "Johnny Got his Gun", "A Farewell to Arms", and the the Regeneration Trilogy. Are there any other novels written about WWI that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Through the Wheat, by Thomas Alexander Boyd. Some similarities to All Quiet on the Western Front, but it was actually written first. Written from the perspective of a US Marine instead of a German soldier. Good book.

The Lost Battalion by Thomas M Johnson

The Memoirs of George Sherston by Siegfried Sassoon-A Trilogy(Memoirs of an Infantry Officer)

Not novels, but my favorite books so far on the subject.

"A Rifleman Goes to War". An American National Guardsman and long-range rifle competition shooter travels to Canada to enlist in their army in order to get into the war. His narrative account of his experiences are detailed and knowledgeable. In France he delves into sniper/scout roles, having much to say about Allied equipment, such as the poor Ross rifle and sub-par Warner-Swayze rifle scope. Among other things are his observations about national characteristics. He observed that your typical British soldier just wanted to be ably led, and he expected his upper class officers to do this. Americans, on the other hand, all think they can do the boss's job better than he can.

"Battle for the Bundu". A German colonel, Hans von Lettow-Vorbek leads his German East Africa colonial force of white officers, NCOs, and black Askari soldiers in a guerilla war against Allied forces. He was the only undefeated German commander in WW1. A thrilling--true--account of improvisational war. The events depicted inspired the events of the movie "The African Queen".

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
"And Quiet Flows the Don" by Mikhail Sholokhov.
He received a Nobel prize for it.
The best damn book I have ever read. It's not only about WWI, it's a book about... everything. Nothing compares to it.

Top Bottom