What's new

British Aristocrat Questions

So I'm finally at a point where I can pull the trigger on a British Aristocrat. I've been thinking about a #16 or a #66. Would sure appreciate any comments from those who've used them. The most important question is: How do they shave? I have a U.S. Aristocrat (W1) that I like very much; as a matter of fact, it's my favorite razor. How do the British ones compare (aggressive-wise, weight, balance, etc)? I've read that the #16 is the heaviest and perhaps the best balanced, and a bit more aggressive than the #66 - true, or doesn't matter? I'm wanting to actually USE it, and not just have it as a collection piece.

Thanks in advance for the expert opinions.

Hi Chris,

It is considered by most that the most aggressive British Aristocrats are the #15, which is an open comb, and the #21 which is the safety bar version of the #15. Next on the aggression list is the #16 and then the #66 and #22 which are the same razor in a different box, and they are quite mild. I have a #15, #16, #21 and the 1947 US Aristocrat which is considered by some to be aggressive, but my razor isn't. All the English look spectacular in their Rhodium plating and the #16 is very well balanced and feels nice in the hand. If I had to choose one it would be the #16, but not by much. Hope this helps.

Cheers, George

The #66 would shave closest to your U.S. Aristocrat. Most razors I can't use everyday, but the #66 I can.
I have a #66, a #16, a #15, and a #21 and will probably(unless dire circumstances) never part with them.. They run the Gamut of what a great shave SHOULD be!!

I'll second what George said.
I have a #15, #21 and the 1948 Aristocrats and find the last one least aggressive if not at all.
From what I've read on the forums #16 looks like best balanced and gets the most love. I do not have one to share my personal experience though.
I think the #66 is easier to find than #16 and probably for less money.

+ 1 to the above. If you enjoy the US W-1 Aristocrat, you'll get along just fine with the No.66. Very comfortable shave.

+ 1 to the above. If you enjoy the US W-1 Aristocrat, you'll get along just fine with the No.66. Very comfortable shave.

I agree Tom. But if Chris is looking for something different, as in a bit more aggressive, it may be a little close to what he already owns.

Cheers, George

Thanks everyone for the info. It seems, if I'm understanding everyone, that I really can't go wrong with either the 16 or 66. Since this will be my first British Aristocrat purchase, I'm leaning towards the 16. I don't mind it being a tad bit more aggressive than my W1 Aristocrat (but hopefully not a lot more aggressive). Maybe down the road I'll add a 66 to the arsenal (if I get the 16, that is). Of course, any more thoughts are most welcome.

I found my #16 and #19 to be nearly identical in the efficiency department. I think it really comes down to which one you "like" more, between open comb or safety bar.

Hi Chris,

It is considered by most that the most aggressive British Aristocrats are the #15, which is an open comb, and the #21 which is the safety bar version of the #15. Next on the aggression list is the #16 and then the #66 and #22 which are the same razor in a different box, and they are quite mild. I have a #15, #16, #21 and the 1947 US Aristocrat which is considered by some to be aggressive, but my razor isn't. All the English look spectacular in their Rhodium plating and the #16 is very well balanced and feels nice in the hand. If I had to choose one it would be the #16, but not by much. Hope this helps.

Cheers, George

I think the 15 is...but YMMV though.

With regards to aggressiveness, #15 = 21 > 16 > 22/66

I love them all - including the flat baseplate Aristocrat Junior for when I want to pull out a smaller handle. The #16 is as good a place to start as any.

proxy.php

Chris,

I started with a #15 early on in my shaving and then got a 16. The 16 is an awesome shaver and beautiful. Well they are all beAutiful. Rhodium and knurls. Yes. Anyways, both are hard to obtain and expensive. So I would get whichever one is available. The 66 is much more common but the least aggressive but there is something about the 16 and 15 that edges out the 66. You should just Get them all.

A very sensible thing to spend your money on. Don't ignore the humble 1949 Aristocrat Junior. It provides a splendid shave and is much more affordable. It is essentially a "poor man's Aristocat 16", but there is nothing wrong with that! The 66 and the 22 are probably overpriced.

I bought a 1949 Aristocrat Jnr thinking the #16 was out of my price limit, and it is a very nice efficient razor, but it hasn't seen daylight since I acquired the #16.

Cheers, George

That is perfectly understandable. The Aristocrat 16 is thing of beauty, but I travel a lot and I should rather lose a Junior.

So..........my #16 arrived today! Yes! Gorgeous; flat out awesome! (Pix posted on the Acquisition thread) Will be trying it out for the first time tomorrow. Now, what brush and what soap to use for the special occasion?...........

Top Bottom