What's new

Hemodent - ok for bad nicks?

Hemodent is the hemostatic solution you dentist would use to stop bleeding in the mouth. Any ideas if it can be used to stop bleeding from bad nicks?

The bottle says "for topical application" but all references I could find online was for oral bleeding. Seems ok but I really don't want some obscure issue from it.

What do think?

Not a Doctor but it's designed for inside the mouth, yes? Externally it'll contact with soap, aftershave, other random chemicals you wouldn't otherwise have inside your mouth. Plus it seems more expensive than the styptic pencil designed for the job (dirt cheap and lasts probably decades). It might stain, smell, combine with something the next time you lather and react violently. Play it safe.

Thanks, probably right. I was thinking it could work faster and work better than a styptic pencil... A quick dip with a qtip and done.

Hemodent would likely work, although it is formulated to work on mucous membranes. For a liquid styptic to use on skin, I would point you toward Drysol. Or a styptic pencil :)

Hemodent is a solution of aluminum chloride versus aluminum sulfate (alum), and is just as effective as a coagulant. Downside is it's more expensive, and comes in solution rather than a stick so is less convenient.

For bad nicks, I use Proraso's styptic gel. It works well for me because I take blood pressure medication.

You can find the product on West Coast Shaving or Italian Barber.

Top Bottom