What's new

Rough Shave - Straight to a Slant

Hello all ... Really dumb question .. I've been shaving exclusively with straights daily over say the past 7 or so months. I recently started to miss my slant bar razor and took it out for a spin. I've only ever used Perma Sharp Super blades and boy did it give me a rough shave, especially under the chin. I've never experienced this before ... Is it perhaps that I've been using straights exclusively and my skin has gotten used to it ? I also changed the blade in case it was a dud, still with the same result ... Anybody else ever experience this? Just to add that I performed my usual 3 pass shave ... WTG, ATG, XTG ... Cheers, Kon :)

Perhaps you have a point there Dev, but its funny that I've been using them for 30 years and all of a sudden I'm experiencing this. At least I'm getting sensational and irritation free shaves from my straights :)

Hard to say especially with 2 different blades. Different brands? I wouldnt think ut would make a difference as my slant doesnt seem to care which brand is in there.

Really odd that with all that background it woukd be so rough. But you're right about the straights.

What are you using and what was the last hone finisher?

Yeah its got me stumped bigtime .. I alternate between a Dovo Carre 6/8 Round Tip, Ralf Aust 5/8 & 6/8 Round Tip and a Boker 6/8 Round Tip faux tortoise shell ... All honed on a Norton 4000/8000 combo, stropped on CrOx and then on leather. What about yourself?

Last edited:
Lately I've been using an old sheffield kind of near wedge smiler finished on a jnat. Once in a while i use my old slant with whatever blade and it seems to be okay.

I went from disposable carts to straights a couple of years ago. About 2 months ago I decided I should try some DE's. Picked up a Single Ring, a Slim, a Krona, and a Toro Mastiff. Tried them all with about 3 different blades (GSB's, Astra SP's, and Personna Reds) over the course of a few weeks.

Shaves were close, but irritated my neck on one side. Straights never do this to my skin.

I simply get nicer shaves with a straight. Maybe a couple times a month I'll try the DE, but about 95% of the time, it's straights for me.

You might have just lost a bit of touch... You are pulling through the growth vs being ahead of the edge like a straight. That's why I think straight razor guys get on well with se and why I got on well with straights from the start as I mostly used SE. Slants need a light touch even moreso than normal de as you know.

I think that you're absolutely spot on kcb5150, I might have lost a bit of touch. Tomorrow is a new day .. I'll have another crack at it.

I rotate straights and DE razors throughout the week. I still enjoy DE shaves but prefer using the straight edge. I find that my face feels better using the straight edge and I couldn't tell you why. I started with cats, moved to DEs, and added straights this past Spring. I shaved this morning with a 6/8 Le Grelot and my alum block reported an irritation free shave.

Having said all of this, the straight edge and the DE are both heads and shoulders above the shave I used to get with a cartridge. Just speaking for myself.

I got my slant out the other night and used it too. Gave me a good shave, granted I only do two passes. But yeah I bet your angle was off or something.

Thanks guys for your replies. I've had a few DE shaves since without any grief, hence I think that my angle was off. Admittedly I get a far superior and irritation free shave with my straights. Have yourselves a sensational Friday .. Cheers, Kon

Top Bottom