What's new

Time Share Natural Stones?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The only problem with BST is that if we are aficionados of a certain type of stone (JNat, Thuringian), we never sell the really good ones!

Cheers, Steve

Yes of course, but isnt everything on the planet "dug up" somewhere? There is nothing we have that was not made from whats here already, except maybe a meteor. :thumbup: And some "stones" like diamonds and rare gems do fetch a very high price.

That's a bit of a silly thing to say. Most everything on Earth that is sold has some component in it that was dug up - including your beloved abrasive films. Lol, last I was aware, and I think I'd be the one to know, the stones in the link aren't for sale. Although I have taken a few trades for other stones. I'm sure there are plenty bemused by your adulation of glorified Saran Wrap as well though.

Last edited:
That's fine too. People don't have to band together to time share finance trying them out, either.

Im not trying to stoke the fires here. I thought the OP had an interesting concept. I don't see any fair way to implement it, so I suggested that buying. Trying, then selling would essentially be the same as a timeshare.

What Krodor said. Ideas are good but sometimes the details get a little complicated. The idea of a pass-around has been mentioned before, but one objection was that if you have a truly good and pricey stone, you don't even want to risk shipping it around.

Where are you? If you're close enough, I'd be glad to meet up and let you try some of mine. And if you're interested in sourcing a stone, I'd be glad to help you in the search.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks, Steve. But I'm in So. Cal. a bit of a drive to you out there. Though it COULD be a spiritual / Zen road trip! Sort of like Che Guevara's Motorcycle Dairies, but without the call for Revolution following. I've been doing as much reading on here and SRP as I can, but I'm a hands-on kind of guy. So far, I'm looking at a Oozuka piece from Frendrihan for what seems like a very reasonable price. I also saw a couple of wakasa koppa. Right now, I'm finishing on a Naniwa 12,000 then to a CrOx pasted linen. I'm just afraid of spending $100+ on JNAT (including shipping and whatever nagura I may need) only to get a finish at the same or not as good as the Naniwa I already have. I like the pointer about finding a meet. Whatever other pointers you guys can share, I would appreciate it.

That's fine too. People don't have to band together to time share finance trying them out, either.

Im not trying to stoke the fires here. I thought the OP had an interesting concept. I don't see any fair way to implement it, so I suggested that buying. Trying, then selling would essentially be the same as a timeshare.

After seeing all of the sincere postings on this forum, and all of the PIF activities going on, I like to believe no one that's part-owner of a Time Share stone would vanish with it. But what I didn't consider that was 2 points raised by some of the responses here:

A. Those that are interested and are trustworthy as solid members of this forum would ALREADY have a set of their own personal collection of stones (some may even be slept with at night too!)

B. The shipping cost, packing material cost involved to ensure safe transport wouldn't make economical sense... unless we're talking about $1000+ pieces?

Ive been to a few meetups and always bring more than a few stones to allow others to try them as others have done for me. I think Craigs(seraphims) comment was benign. I tried to ''convert'' him and even sent him a stone, but hes addicted to the plume of film and swarf!:thumbup1: Lol.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
When you start looking for stones, look for one that's a little softer, yet fine. You'll pay more for it, but it will be easier to use and it will more likely give you a smoother edge than the N12k and CrOx, though as usual personal preferences apply. Most of the Ozukus are cheaper because they're hard - and also fine, hardness and fineness generally go together with JNats.

You might give Alex Gilmore at thejapanstone an email, he's up the road in Sonoma, because he specializes in the not-so-hard stones. It's a no-risk kind of thing with him, if you don't like it, send it back. If you tell him your price point and what you want, he can generally fix you up. Personally I'd ask for a barber-hone size or a little smaller that will produce a smooth edge and your price point. He'll probably throw in a nagura or two if you ask, though he does not do the Mikawa naguras.

Cheers, Steve

+1 Alex Gilmore is a great seller as well as an excellent asset to this forum. Ive been very satisfied with his stones and service as have many others as well.

Stones from Oozuku run the gamut on all qualities - including hardness.

Cheap stones aren't cheap because they're hard.
Harder stones cost a lot more than softer ones quite often.

Cheap stones are, usually, cheap for a number of reasons including cut, shape, weight, etc.
Hardness will raise the price long before it lowers it.

Soft or hard is a users preference.
Me - personally - most days - I'd pass on a softer stone if a harder one was available.

Top Bottom