What's new

The Art of Shaving soap question.

I was recently at The Art of Shaving in Columbus Ohio. The salesman said that their unscented bar soap http://www.theartofshaving.com/on/d...Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=00670535713920 and their unscented shave soap http://www.theartofshaving.com/on/d...04&start=6&cgid=shaving-products-shaving-soap are the same soap just put into 2 different molds. But later on he admitted that he enjoys the expierencr of shaving he doesn't get into the product testing and research that the enthusiasts do. Does anyone know if what he said is true about that particular soaps?

Source: AOS Website

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Unsc...ving-soap&navid=shaving-products-shaving-soap

Unscented Bar Soap:
Potassium palmitate, sodium palmitate, potassium stearate, potassium palm kernelate, sodium stearate, sodium palm kernelate, glycerin, water, palm kernel acid, lecithin, zea mays (corn) oil, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, tocopheryl acetate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides

Unscented Shave Soap:
Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Palm Kernel Acid, Lecithin, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Titanium Dioxide (CI77981), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499),Iron Oxides (CI77491)

The only difference is the tetrasodium etidronate, which I think soaks up minerals in hard water, so the shave soap should lather a bit better, though I think it's worth giving the body soap a whirl for lathering, particularly if you have soft water.

That would be hilarious if you could get just as nice of a shave from the $6 bath soap as from the $30 shave soap.

I am due to switch soaps soon, and I am now curious, I will cut a bar in half, put it in one of my bowls, and test it out Sunday if anyone wants... I will include pictures and step by step of the method used. Anyone interested?

I am due to switch soaps soon, and I am now curious, I will cut a bar in half, put it in one of my bowls, and test it out Sunday if anyone wants... I will include pictures and step by step of the method used. Anyone interested?

Yes, I am interested.

Wow, lol, this looks promising. How long do you think it will take of their shave refill sales plummeting and their body soap sales spiking before they notice what's happened and change the body soap? It actually makes me wish I liked AOS. I'd buy a case of the stuff.

Love to know the answer.

wow. very interesting.
the AOS bath soap is 127g and $18 a bar.
the AOS shave soap refill is 100g and (?) 30$, I think.
I still have a little of the bath soap left...will give it a test lather and report.
but i can say, it does smell identical to the shave soap! super-nice shower soap!

$aos sandalwood bath soap.jpg

Wow, super interesting thread. I wonder if any of you that are going to test have hard water. At least then we'd know if you have to use a bottled water to make it work or whether it doesn't matter.

ok, just did a test lather and shave, just on some leftover chin stubble.
used the AOS bath soap bar (what was remaining of it) like a shave stick and rubbed over the stubble.
then face-lathered with hot water and badger brush.
lather was thick and protective.
scent was standard AOS sandalwood, altho it faded somewhat after lathering.
disclosure...my most recent AOS sandalwood hard shave soap experience (photo attached) most likely was the old tallow version.
so, this comparison with the current non-tallow bath soap may not be strictly apples-to-apples.
bath soap has perhaps a drop less glide than the shave soap, but consider i did not use any preshave oil or soap for this test.
overall, pretty close to the shave bowl.
$gillette bostonian aos sandalwood jan 20 2014s.jpg

I doubt it's a coincidence that their lavender body soap sold out within hours of this thread starting (sandalwood was already OOS).

Top Bottom