What's new

Recommend a Podcast for me

I recently bought a new car (an Audi A5) and can now stream from my iPhone to my car stereo. I've been listening to music from Amazon Prime but am really interested in finding some great podcasts for my daily drives. I enjoy quite a few topics, but my favorites would be educational, with History being at the top of the list.

I found one called Hardcore History, and have listened to his first two podcasts about Genghis Khan. They are outstanding and I highly recommend them. I'd love to hear which podcasts other members recommend. I was also wondering if there is enough interest in starting a "What Podcast are You Listening to" thread.

Umm Dan Carlin Hardcore history! He does a really good job. New episodes sometimes take months though but each episode is around 3 hours. Also Stuff you Missed in History Class I've heard is good.

Umm Dan Carlin Hardcore history! He does a really good job. New episodes sometimes take months though but each episode is around 3 hours. Also Stuff you Missed in History Class I've heard is good.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the Buckeyes and Badgers in the B1G championship game.

If you like modern classical music, I highly recommend Meet the Composer. It mixes in depth interviews with living composers with samples of their work.

Stuff You Should Know, Caustic Soda, Freakonomics, Quirks and Quarks, Radiolab, Superego, This Is That, ***? w/ Marc Maron. There are so many good ones...

I like shorter podcasts. Less commitment and if you don't finish an episode, you don't have to worry about remembering what you've heard. Most of the shows associated with public radio are good. Radiotopia has good shows: http://www.radiotopia.fm/

Absolutely, "Serial." "This American Life," too. Anything NPR, really. "Fresh Air." "The Moth" is sometimes fantastic.

"***" with Marc Maron seems uneven, but can be great. Adam Carolla's various podcasts are good, if you really, really like him. The same is true of Kevin Smith's podcasts to an exponential level, meaning they are one heck of a lot of Kevin Smith. I can't really listen to either set of podcasts anymore.

Dan Carlin's history podcasts are some of the best things I have experienced in any media.

Last edited:
I can heartily recommend the following:

Planet Money
Answer me This
Welcome to Nightvale (surrealist hp lovecraftesque comedy)
This American Life

The Art of Manliness podcast is my suggestion. He doesn't have a daily show, or weekly for that matter, but he does have interesting topics that he will interview a relative author or researcher about. There was a really good one recently about aggression and violence in human males and chimpanzees, and how they are similar.

Vinyl Cafe if you like good stories
Thinking Atheist if you like good debates
CBC Ideas has some great history related and war related podcasts lately

Lots of great stuff out there.
If you like Dan Carlin then I would suggest
The history of Rome, It's over now but it is comprehensive. From it's founding to the fall of the Western Roman Empire. 179 episodes each about 15-30 min. long a GREAT podcast.
Stuff you missed in History Class.
Filmsack. Podcast about trashing B movies. Very professional and funny.
The Dice Tower. A Boardgame podcast.
BBC's History of the world in a 100 objects.

It's not really history, but I strongly recommend "Serial". There's no episode next week, so now's a good time to get caught up!

Been listening to this series this last week (after reading recommendations about it in a couple of newspapers/magazines) & finished episode 12 (the last episode) yesterday. I too thought it was brilliant and very well put together. Looking forward to seeeing what comes from it over the next few months.

I'll second the opinion of others and recommend the "Freakonomics" podcast. I also love NPR's "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" for intellectual humor.

Top Bottom