What's new

Pineapple Casserole

Kind of curious if anyone else has tried this. It was a new one for me, but I really liked it.

Pineapple Casserole

1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained. Reserve 6 tablespoons of the pineapple juice
1 cup cracker crumbs. Ritz recommended
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a medium-size casserole dish with butter.

In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the cheese. Add the drained pineapple chunks, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.

In another medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved pineapple juice, stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly blended. Spread crumb mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Pretty sure this is a Paula Deen recipe from Food Network.

I found that I liked just a little more cracker crumbs. Not sure if my pan was little big or what, but I liked more crust.

After some experimentation, I'm not sure I find pineapple mixed with savory/salty components to be very appealing. Sounds like you really enjoyed it though. You have any pictures?

Sounds really good. I love pineapple. Especially cooked pineapple. I love it on pizza. That 1 cup of sugar kind of freaks me out though. I'd probably just leave that out all together if I made it. Pineapple and raisins are sweet enough. I guess thats what I'd except coming from Paula Deen though.

cheese and fruit have a long history together,i especially like apples and sharp cheddar together.cant wait to try this.

Sounds really good. I love pineapple. Especially cooked pineapple. I love it on pizza. That 1 cup of sugar kind of freaks me out though. I'd probably just leave that out all together if I made it. Pineapple and raisins are sweet enough. I guess thats what I'd except coming from Paula Deen though.
you can use splenda or honey instead of sugar.

cheese and fruit have a long history together,i especially like apples and sharp cheddar together.cant wait to try this.

I suppose this is true. And I AM a sucker for a Pineapple and Ham pizza. I guess I've just been burned by too many gross gelatins. :lol:

it is the holidays though:w00t:

Well then, that calls for FANCY Jell-O!

$enhanced-21281-1392320515-17.jpg

Great recipe. I agree on the sugar. My wife makes somethig similar with bread cubes instead of crackers. They toast up nicely on top. It is kind of a pineapple souffle.

Top Bottom