What's new

Gilliette Silver Blue

Golly, wow.
36 hour growth, Old Type, this is a great blade! I'd used it in a New Type too with nice results but this was superb, really

The good - Polsilver, Blue Birds and now Silver Blue
The bad - feathers, dorco, derby
The ugly - Treet carbon blacks ( ugly but you gotta love em!)

I'm still on the fence with the whole Persona range.

I use a 47 SS, I've found the Silver Blue quite comfortable, but I also have found the Personna Comfort Coated (Lab Blue), at least for my face, to be slightly sharper and gives me less burn and irritation. But then, Since I was in the Army 69-73, I've shaved daily and SWMBO wants it that way, maybe I've never given the irritation a chance to rest. :001_smile

Last edited:
For me the GSB is good for two shaves and absolutely no more than that. They seem to lose their edge faster than Lab Blues, my normal go-to blade.

I love GSBs. I find that Astras (made in the same factory) are 90-95% as good as GSBs for me, so Astras are my everyday blade, since they are significantly cheaper. But 100 GSBs are on my Christmas list!

I have less than a hundred left, but they truly are fine blades. They are one constant in any razor I use. It is hard for me to say that about other blades.

I still need to try the Gillette Platinum blades that these get compared to... I messed up and gave the only two I had to a friend of mine when I was giving him GSB to try out. I found out too late and 300 miles away... :sad:

Gillette silver blues are the blades I always come back to. I use feather blades in my feather razor, but for everything else I go with GSB. I have tried at least 15 other blades, but nothing beats GSB for the best combination of comfort and closeness.

Just tried a GSB for the first time tonight, and my experience was... odd.

I lathered up with Speick stick (one of my "new razor/blade" soaps, a good litmus test for me) and my Omega 10066. Set my Fatboy on 6 and went to it.

The first thing I noticed was lots of tugging, which concerned me. Speick being one of my top performing soaps, I thought it must have been the blade, but it wasn't actually hurting my face or anything, so I pressed on. After my first pass, I made sure my face was good and wet, just to rule out dry lather. Second pass was much better, still no irritation. Third and final pass went very well, though I did get one nick which was my own fault.

Usually, by my third pass, if I've gone a little crazy with trying to cleanup certain areas, I start to experience irritation. I have almost come to expect this, as I have pretty sensitive skin, but I always push it too far. However, this time, there was nothing. Zero burn whatsoever. I figured my aftershave splash would bring it out, but even after a liberal application of Clubman (a notorious burner for me), I felt virtually no burn at all. Huh.

After finishing up with some raw coconut oil, I was left with one of the smoothest, most irritation free shaves I've ever had.
It started out with me being very concerned about this new blade tearing my beard out rather than cutting it, and yet I ended up with THAT?! What gives?

This will definitely require some more investigation. :lol:

one of my go to blades. not the sharpest or smoothest but just right in the middle. they are not my top favorite but still in my top 5-6. i know i can throw one of these in any razor and they work. one thing i find with sb's is the very first pass with them they can be a bit more rough. after the first pass they smooth out and are fantastic blades. they are also my wife's favorite blade and she has tried a lot of them. she had me order her 500 of them.

Top Bottom