What's new

Vintage Yardley. To use or not to use

I recently came into posession of a seemingly unused wood bowl of Yardley Shaving Soap.

Considering all the praise I've read about it, I can't decide if I should I use it and find out what the hubub is all about, or trade it for something else I could use or want to try. I already have an inventory of soap that'll last 1-2 years at my rate of use.

Would I really want to try something I might absolutely love only to never have another chance for more? If I use it a few times just to try it will it be worth a lot less in trade?

What would you do, and why?

USE IT!

1. It's not so uncommon as you'd think - usually available on dBay;

2. with your current inventory (which I guarantee will continue to grow) the Yardley will last for a VERY LONG TIME;

3. see #1 above - if you love it all that much you'll add more (don't want to tell you how many I have in storage);

4. see #3 above - I'll bet I'm not alone in having a stash - all that back-up will be on the market sooner or later (and cheap, too - my kids will sell off my stuff for a quarter an item at a garage sale when I die, I just KNOW it);

5. If you don't use it, who will? Your heirs?

6. It might suck. You'll hate it. You can sell it.

Don't worry, I'll buy it. (See all of the above.)

^just kidding^

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Kidding aside, use it!! But be aware you may get hooked on one of the best soaps ever made and you want more.....this is the problem.

... There is an endless amount of good soap out there.
This is sort of what I mean. I love several soaps I've already tried. I don't feel like there's a holy grail I'm still searching for. Maybe like Rudy said, if I use it there WILL be a holy grail that I feel the need to chase.

Instead, should I trade it for something more useful, a nice brush or razor, for example. Something more... durable? (To be ridiculously obvious)

You need to seek out the help of a professional. Do be careful with it as you could very easily contract soap poisoning from using a very old soap such as this. Something like this could wipe out an entire family if you're not careful. There are very few experts in this field but fortunately for you I am one of them. I've tested a lot of soaps before but I've never actually tested Yardley. Since I'm very knowledgeable about soap poisoning I would be willing to test it for you to make sure it's safe before sending it back your way. I'm a nice guy like that. If you need my address just send me a PM but by all means be careful with that stuff.

If you decide to use it just realize that you will soon be rationalizing paying $40-80 for a bowl of soap on a regular basis as nothing else compares, at least that I have tried.

Use it. It's lovely stuff and everyone should experience it, especially if it still has fragrance.

I've tried a couple vintage soaps so far and honestly wasn't impressed. I mean it was really cool getting to try something that my grandfather likely used but I have tried a lot better soaps that are currently available.

I've heard good things about Yardley and have wanted to try it but haven't yet. For those who have tried it is it like anything that was available more recently like maybe AOS tallow perhaps performance wise?

I used it for years, when it wasn't vintage; that dates me. And I'd use it now, if I ever found a bowl. Great aroma, great lather.

Wait! Not yet!
youve gotta get the matching aftershave and cologne first!
enjoy!
$image.jpg

If you never use it....you'll never know if you even like it.

Maybe better that way?

Still not sure, but you all have certainly got me excited to at least shave with it a few times.

I think someone else asked too, but can anyone who has used it compare it to a currently available soap?

Top Bottom