What's new

Pick me a pomade/hair product!

Good day kind sirs! I'm almost finished with my first tin of Dax Short and Neat, and while I was fairly pleased with the results I got with it, I'm looking to try something else out. I have a fairly short haircut, 4 guard on the sides/edges with 1-2" long hair up top. Kind of a messy look with a small pomp in the front is how I would characterize it. My hair is VERY dark brown/almost black, medium thickness, with SUPER density. I'm looking for something that is not too strong of a hold, but does a great job conditioning my hair. Nothing crunchy at all. Sometimes I think my hair looks dry and lifeless, even with product in it, so maybe a shampoo or conditioner recommendation as well. I've been using Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lemon Sage conditioner lately with Razorock's Lime or Lavender shampoo. I don't feel strongly one way or another about either. Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!

Another new pomade user, ripe for the picking!

Your shampoo choice is supreme in my book. Love Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Been using Pinaud Country Club shampoo as of late, though. Smell is good and it works well for breaking down the extra oils from the pomade.

I think we have the same taste in pomades in that we don't look for the heavy hold, hope I'm not making any assumptions on that one. I always like to recommend my favorite Murray's Superlight. Similar characteristics to DAX Short and Neat with a sweeter smell and I think a little smoother application. I also like that I can find it locally for about $2.75.

If you want to stay in the DAX family, Try out their High Life products. Their VooDoo Brew is a little heavy for my liking BUT their High Life Light Hold and Medium Hold are excellent performers. If you REALLY want to go out on a limb you can select options for your own personal blend.

Good luck with your search!

Another new pomade user, ripe for the picking!

Your shampoo choice is supreme in my book. Love Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Been using Pinaud Country Club shampoo as of late, though. Smell is good and it works well for breaking down the extra oils from the pomade.

I think we have the same taste in pomades in that we don't look for the heavy hold, hope I'm not making any assumptions on that one. I always like to recommend my favorite Murray's Superlight. Similar characteristics to DAX Short and Neat with a sweeter smell and I think a little smoother application. I also like that I can find it locally for about $2.75.

If you want to stay in the DAX family, Try out their High Life products. Their VooDoo Brew is a little heavy for my liking BUT their High Life Light Hold and Medium Hold are excellent performers. If you REALLY want to go out on a limb you can select options for your own personal blend.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks so much for the info and suggestions! I think you're correct about our tastes being similar. I've tried a multitude of products over the years, but I've never felt like, "Okay, THIS is what I've always needed." Only since joining B&B have I started taking more pains in all of my grooming habits, and I hope that I will have as much success in this particular endeavor as I've had in my change to safety razor/quality software shaving.

Just for reference, I took a pic of my noggin/locks today so you guys could have a better idea of what I've got going.

I'm not terribly thrilled with my do, but I feel like that could be changed if I find the right products to complement MY hair/style. I meant to mention in the OP that I also tried a couple of Billy Jealousy hair products and wasn't overly impressed with them. I think they were named Ruckus and Headlock...more of hair "creams" I guess you could say. Anyhow...thanks again!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416591914725.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416591914725.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 125
Hi there! Can you pick me a pomade? Based on reading Marcos posts, I'm fairly confident that I need a water-based pomade as I don't want something that is greasy, shiny or hard to clean. My hair is VERY thick, coarse, Caucasian, very dark brown, almost black, and coarse. Every barber comments on how thick it is. Anyway, I usually have my hair cut with scissors and have a vague left to right parting which I sometimes don't bother with. Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!

I'm not terribly thrilled with my do, but I feel like that could be changed if I find the right products to complement MY hair/style. I meant to mention in the OP that I also tried a couple of Billy Jealousy hair products and wasn't overly impressed with them. I think they were named Ruckus and Headlock...more of hair "creams" I guess you could say. Anyhow...thanks again!

Actually sir, after looking at your hair style, I might recommend a water based pomade like Layrite Super Shine. It doesn't get crunchy for me and leaves my hair feeling good after I wash it. And I MIGHT also recommend Groom and Clean which can be found at some Walgreen's and other drug stores. Don't use too much Groom and Clean, and it could end up working out for you.

Another suggestion I have is to combine an oil based pomade with a water based pomade. For example, I apply my Murray's Super Light throughout my hair. Then I style it the way I want it. Then I add some water-based pomade to lock it all in. When I started doing that, I started having my ah-HAH! moments.

Hi there! Can you pick me a pomade? Based on reading Marcos posts, I'm fairly confident that I need a water-based pomade as I don't want something that is greasy, shiny or hard to clean. My hair is VERY thick, coarse, Caucasian, very dark brown, almost black, and coarse. Every barber comments on how thick it is. Anyway, I usually have my hair cut with scissors and have a vague left to right parting which I sometimes don't bother with. Any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!

For your hair, I'd recommend something with heavy hold based on how thick and Caucasian your hair is. Give Layrite Super Hold a shot or Suavecito Firme. If you want to try out something with less hold but performs well, give Railcar Fine Goods a shot.

Good luck to both of you! Hope I've helped at least a little bit.

Actually sir, after looking at your hair style, I might recommend a water based pomade like Layrite Super Shine. It doesn't get crunchy for me and leaves my hair feeling good after I wash it. And I MIGHT also recommend Groom and Clean which can be found at some Walgreen's and other drug stores. Don't use too much Groom and Clean, and it could end up working out for you.

Another suggestion I have is to combine an oil based pomade with a water based pomade. For example, I apply my Murray's Super Light throughout my hair. Then I style it the way I want it. Then I add some water-based pomade to lock it all in. When I started doing that, I started having my ah-HAH! moments.

You have been MOST helpful, sir! I will stop by the Walgreen's on my way home from work to see if they have any of your recommendations. If not, an order from Pomades.com/Royal Shave will be in order! I was really intrigued by the item description of the Imperial Barber fiber pomade, so I might just have to have some of that too regardless of what else I buy. Thanks again!

For your hair, I'd recommend something with heavy hold based on how thick and Caucasian your hair is. Give Layrite Super Hold a shot or Suavecito Firme. If you want to try out something with less hold but performs well, give Railcar Fine Goods a shot.

You have indeed! Many thanks!

I'm suggesting Woody's pomade (green) or Fiber Pomade from Imperial Barber.

Actually sir, after looking at your hair style, I might recommend a water based pomade like Layrite Super Shine.

Well today I decided to go see my barber, who also happens to be my cousin, and he and I decided on a new do for me. I was a little apprehensive at first, but I must say that I'm pretty thrilled with the result!

I believe that he actually used the Woody's pomade that you recommended to style it. I LOVE the look and feel of it, and the scent is heavenly imo. Not sure if the new style would result in different recommendations or not. What say you?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1416882549395.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1416882549395.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 79
THAT, sir, is a haircut.
Thank you sir! Like I said, I'm pretty thrilled with it, but it's still going to take some getting used to. I feel like it's a much more clean cut/gentlemanly look, which I feel is much more congruent with my new found way of grooming. Now it's just a matter of finding the right pomade(s.) [emoji2]

OP...Great haircut! Mine is similar; however, I've gone quite grey/salt/pepper. I have a full head of thick hair, but it is very straight. I've dabbled with some pomades (all water based, just personal preference).

My favourite so far is Reuzel in the red tin. Firm hold, nice shine and easy to apply. My next favs are Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer Pomade and Admiral Strong. Both are not as firm in the hold department though.

If you want the hold and not the shine, I'd say Imperial Barber Classic is a good choice. Plenty of options out there.

Hopefully Marco will pop in and give a suggestion. He's having quite a run with pomades lately and has some excellent insight.

Have a read here and see if it helps: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ssance-of-hair-pomades-amp-the-new-Golden-Age

Last edited:
You certainly did. Great style.

OP...Great haircut! Mine is similar; however, I've gone quite grey/salt/pepper. I have a full head of thick hair, but it is very straight. I've dabbled with some pomades (all water based, just personal preference).

My favourite so far is Reuzel in the red tin. Firm hold, nice shine and easy to apply. My next favs are Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer Pomade and Admiral Strong. Both are not as firm in the hold department though.

If you want the hold and not the shine, I'd say Imperial Barber Classic is a good choice. Plenty of options out there.

Hopefully Marco will pop in and give a suggestion. He's having quite a run with pomades lately and has some excellent insight.

Thanks and thanks! Even though I'm REALLY happy with it, I am still a little apprehensive about the reception I'll get tomorrow at work. I really appreciate all of the positive feedback from you guys!

I don't think it'll be many more years before I experience the salt and pepper look, as I already have a few grays here and there. I'm not gonna fret over it though...that's part of life and getting older.

Just curious...is water vs. oil based just a matter of personal preference, or are there certain things that can only be achieved with one or another? From what I've gleaned on here, oil based pomades are a bit more trouble as far as removal goes, correct? Other pros and cons? I wish there was a local vendor that would allow me to try different ones! I suppose the same could be said about ALL grooming software! Oh well!

Thanks and thanks! Even though I'm REALLY happy with it, I am still a little apprehensive about the reception I'll get tomorrow at work. I really appreciate all of the positive feedback from you guys!

I don't think it'll be many more years before I experience the salt and pepper look, as I already have a few grays here and there. I'm not gonna fret over it though...that's part of life and getting older.

Just curious...is water vs. oil based just a matter of personal preference, or are there certain things that can only be achieved with one or another? From what I've gleaned on here, oil based pomades are a bit more trouble as far as removal goes, correct? Other pros and cons? I wish there was a local vendor that would allow me to try different ones! I suppose the same could be said about ALL grooming software! Oh well!

If you peruse the discussion found within the link I provided above, you will see there's plenty of discussion regarding oil vs water based pomades. There are certainly benefits and cons to both, depending on hair characteristics and style. There are also plenty of products being discussed as well. Feel free to jump in on those discussions. That's how I came across my pomades of choice.

If you peruse the discussion found within the link I provided above, you will see there's plenty of discussion regarding oil vs water based pomades. There are certainly benefits and cons to both, depending on hair characteristics and style. There are also plenty of products being discussed as well. Feel free to jump in on those discussions. That's how I came across my pomades of choice.

Thanks so much for pointing me to such an informative thread! There is a ton of good info there!

After a couple of days with my new hairstyle, I can definitively say that I couldn't be any more pleased! I've gotten so many compliments and, more importantly, I really love the look. I DO, however, still have a couple of concerns and specific questions regarding MY hair/style:

1. Is there a particular pomade that would be recommended more so for MY hair type/style? I wouldn't say that my hair is super thick or thin....on a scale from 1-10 probably about a 5 or so, but a have a LOT of hair. I would say it's definitely not straight or curly, but has a little bit of waviness to it. As you can see from the pic, it's about as dark as brown can get without being black.

2. I'm leaning towards the idea of using a couple of different products depending on the desired result (e.g. less vs. more shine.) The one variable that I DON'T wish to change no matter what would be the hold. I don't want "crunchy" or REALLY "stiff," but I don't want my hair to easily come out of place either. Is that even feasible/possible? My perfect scenario would be to have a couple of different pomades, both with sufficient hold but differing levels of shine. On that note, I don't feel like my Dax Short and Neat is gonna cut it for me with this style.

3. Being new to the game on proper grooming techniques, do most online vendors (pomades.com is the only one I've looked at so far) usually have any spectacular Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals?? I'm itching to order something ASAP, but can wait a few days if I have to if it's going to save me a significant amount of money. I'm willing to spend the requisite $35 to get free shipping on pomades.com, so I'd be ordering at least 2 pomades, possibly more.

4. I really liked how the Woody's looked and felt on the day that I got my haircut, but didn't see it on the pomades.com site. I'd prefer to just order from one vendor to save or eliminate shipping costs. Is there a comparable product that I might find on their site, or if not, another site that would have as much of a selection of products?

Thanks again for the help guys!

3. Being new to the game on proper grooming techniques, do most online vendors (pomades.com is the only one I've looked at so far) usually have any spectacular Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals?? I'm itching to order something ASAP, but can wait a few days if I have to if it's going to save me a significant amount of money. I'm willing to spend the requisite $35 to get free shipping on pomades.com, so I'd be ordering at least 2 pomades, possibly more.

So pretty much immediately after posting this I checked my inbox and there's an e-mail from Royalshave/Pomades.com regarding their Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, lol! Here's a link to their specials:
http://www.pomades.com/mm5/merchan...ore_Code=pomades&CatListingOffset=0&Offset=0

Out of what they have listed on sale, what would you guys suggest for me?? Thanks again!

Top Bottom