What's new

Razor/Razor Blade analytics

Hi everyone,

As I was reading the thread what razor/blade did you use today, it dawned on me that it would be cool to extract data out of the thread and chart it to find various useful things. I think it would be cool to see Most popular razor, most popular blade, but also whats the most popular blade for each razor. I began doing this but realized the thread is over 2k pages long and im on page 7. Anybody want to help me compile this information if it has not already been done? I tried to see if there was a way to export a thread to excel but I couldnt find anything. PM me if this is of any interest to you.

Here is the first bit of data I took out. Not very useful but I think its cool nonetheless.

Out of 127 posts here is how the blade preference stacks up
Feather23
Astra13
Derby11
Personna Red10
Gem5
Gillette 7 Oclock Yellow5
ASCO SS1
Dorco3
Gillette 7 Oclock Green3
Shark3
shark superchrome3
Bluebird2
Chinsese Nacet2
Gillette 7 Oclock Black2
Gillette Super Blue2
Lord2
Personna Lab Grade2
Topaz Platinum2
Vokshod2
Wilkinson2
1974 Personna Injector1
Bolzano1
Crystal1
CVS1
Disco ST 3011
Dollar General1
Geb1
Gem Carbon Steel1
Gillette Blue Platinum1
Gillette Platinum1
Gillette Silver Blue1
Gillette Spoiler 19761
Kai1
Morris1
NOS Schick PP1
PAL Carbon steel1
Pella1
Personna Med Prep1
Personna/CVS1
Rapira Platinum1
Rolls1
Schick1
Shark Super Stainless1
Super Iridium1
Timor1
Treet1
Treet Classic1
Treet SE1
Vidyut Super Max1

This would be a very interesting project. I hope you can find a way to extract the data more easily. Sounds like a web scraping software with word statistic abilities is what you need. Wish I could suggest one but I never looked into that. Good luck.

This would be a very interesting project. I hope you can find a way to extract the data more easily. Sounds like a web scraping software with word statistic abilities is what you need. Wish I could suggest one but I never looked into that. Good luck.

I agree, the problem im seeing is people refer to their razors and blades differently. While somebody might call it a superspeed, somebody else might call it an SS and/or mentioning tip colors, years etc... maybe the software can account for this somehow, im not familiar with any of it.

Monarch software has a data mining tool.

ill def look into it. Thanks bud!

Python will work amazing. I scrape data all the time. You may have to do some cleanup, but it wouldn't be too bad.

Earlier today, I saw this firefox add-on:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/html-regex-data-extractor/

If you are decent with programming regular expressions I think it could extract most of the blade brands for you (on a page by page basis).

Exceptions that might be tricky (or even infeasible) to do in an automated fashion:
- "+1" posts
- excluding mentions of brands posted within quotes from a prior post
- abbreviations/synonyms/misspellings for brands

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Shawn

Thanks although I did give up in this venture. Also people refer to razors and razors blades differently so that might make it tougher

I think the issue is some people consistently post in there the same razor they use which would skew results as it looks like a popular razor but it is really one person using the same razor.

Top Bottom