What's new

Passport cover for my daughter

And I didn't mean that you were a paycheck or two away from BK.

You are obviously a class act evidenced by your response and that probably tells a lot about how you have what you do.

In the USA there are lots of folks who buy a lifestyle they can't afford because the bank allows them to make payments on cars, houses and watches they can't afford to pay cash.

I would be willing to bet most of the cash you have comes from people like that directly or indirectly.

I wish I had the talent to provide you with something you need because the only way to get the cash out of your hands interest free is to sell you something you want.

But alas you a net investor, not consumer. And that folks is why he has a grand to spend on his daughter.

Learn that lesson at a young age unlike me and you too can buy 1 k items that most people consider frivolous.

And for you folks who think he should spend $200 and save $800 for the ticket. The tickets will be a lot more than $800 when he gives those too.

I won't judge the budget, but will point out that an expensive passport cover will draw attention to your daughter and could make her a target when traveling.

Edit: I see someone else has already mentioned this.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
To be fair, when the OP stated his max of one grand, he never added the qualifier "... and don't waste my time with stuff under $950."

If a guy has that much disposable income, then spend it where it makes you feel happy. (Well, apart from Williams and The Veg ... that stuff just ain't right!) That's what his daughter wants for Xmas? ... cool. Most kids (especially once they have reached "I need a passport cover" age) have a decent idea of how much their parents will be spending on them for Xmas and such, so they know how much of their "total gift" they are "spending" by asking for something. So let the kids value what they want and get what they want.

Maybe his daughter wants something she can use for a lifetime, and hand down to her daughter or granddaughter, as a family heirloom.

Wow, that thing is stunning -- wish I could see that leather in person.

I gotta admit guys, I'm a little surprised by our overall response to the OP. We're a group that spends $50-$200 on a shaving brush, $20 for a puck of soap, $50-$100 on a razor, all so we can "save" on blades. Add to that most of us have more than one brush, more than one soap/cream, and more than one razor. The "average" guy buys Barbasol for $1.99 and disposables or carts. Justify the shaving purchases all you want, but if he wants to purchase a luxury passport cover, it's his money. I think it's a poor reflection on us, as a group, to respond the way we did. What if some joker went over to the M&F Blonde Badger thread and was like, "Man, you guys are a bunch of idiots. I tell you what...buy two Omega boars for $20 then spend the rest of that money on Playstation games."

The OP clearly needs to talk to his daughter about how many Plisson HMWs she could get for a grand.

Good evening guys. First off let me say I'm sorry for taking so long to post to answer questions. Lets start with the doozey... Yes I think paying 1k for a passport cover seems silly but my daughter wants something special. I can get a LV for under 400 bucks but while my wife loves her purses and wallets I was hoping to find something a little different and or better quality. I am willing to entertain a budget up to 1k US dollars. I have a saddleback briefcase and know of the passport cover they have and I did check out Mitchell leather also. Both I think would be better quality but seem a little to manly for my daughter.
After reading this whole thread I think it would be best to just take the high road and be civil when responding. But there are a few things I would like to point out. First I am not trying to pull anyones leg here, its not April 1st and 2nd I'm sure not embarassed to spend the money I earn working on a daughter I love. Just like I not embarrassed to wear 400 shoes, write with 400 pens that I fill from an $80 bottle of green ink, drink top shelf booze instead of well ect ect.
Please understand I wasnt trying to start a flame thread, I truly enjoy coming here after a long day and read what everyone is up to. I just really wanted some input and I am sorry if that put some people out of sorts. BTW I do own a Rolex as does my daughter (graduation gift) and everyday at work I see on avg 15 rolex on the wrist of my co workers and friends and I can tell you that indeed doesnt mean any of us are a paycheck or two away from BK.

Again sorry for the trouble
Plano

Hey, no problem.

It probably caught us off-guard with a price for something that in our normal experience ... and how "normal" are B&B guys, just askin'? ... would cost one twentieth of your stated budget max. "Looking to get my son a puck of shave soap ... max budget $500" is going to get some strange responses from guys who think $40 for C&S and $30 for Valobra is being a touch extravagant.

:001_rolle

But it's cool.

Hopefully you find the right gift for your daughter, and she has years of enjoyment from it.

What was that movie with Michael Douglas and he's climbing the ladder and looses a shoe and he's like "there goes $1,000" and the person climbing behind him is like "your shoes cost you $1,000!?"
And his reply was "that one".

FWIW I believe that move was "The Game", a FANTASTIC film about, in part, economic excess and the ennui it generates.

I'm happy for the OP that he can get his daughter such a gift. However the fashion concerns of women are so far beyond me (despite being married to one) that the only advice I can give is get a cover by the same maker as her favorite travelling purse.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
FWIW I believe that move was "The Game", a FANTASTIC film about, in part, economic excess and the ennui it generates.

It's on TV now and I just saw the scene. The dog was chasing them.
"you got a shower in your office??"

Correct me if I am wrong, but why is the op getting dissed became he's well off & can but his daughter a $1000 passport holder. He is asking for our help, not our opinions on his finances, which is no ones business except him. I think its very nice that you are able to do this for your daughter.

Top Bottom