What's new

New product idea

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I didn't get around to shaving today until mid-afternoon. Used Floid Blue for the first time in a while. Being out of Musgo Real, I mostly rotate Proraso Green, Floid Vigaroso, and Dominica Bay Rum.

Anyhow, I was puttering around a bit in the shop a bit shortly after (before the Floid had entirely faded) when my wife poked her head in. More or less thinking out loud, I casually observed that I wasn't sure which I liked better, my favorite aftershaves or the distinctive scent of WD-40. Then it struck me, why hasn't anyone forumlated a WD-40 scented aftershave. What could be more manly than that?

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Give Clubman Pinaud a try. I've always found it to have a very faint "oily" note to its fragrance.

Too powdery for me. And it doesn't evoke childhood (early 60s) memories of the shop on my grandpa's farm (much as Proraso does of barbershops in the same time-frame).

I don't think there's anything quite like WD-40. It's texture isn't quite right for an aftershave, although, on second thought, it's similar to Musgo in some respects.

Growing up around garages, I'm partial to the delicate scent of gasoline with a hint of starting fluid, followed with some hot oil fumes and a bit of burnt rubber.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I would go more for Hoppes!

There's another good one too. And it crossed my mind immediately after the thought of a WD-40 aftershave did.

I associate WD-40 with an old Oliver tractor we had.

Hoppes? Well, I don't know where to start. I got my first rifle on my sixth Christmas. And then there was the S&W K-22 for my 16th birthday. My other grandpa had a radio & TV / army surplus / guns & ammo / locksmith shop where my dad, who was an avid hunter and re-loader, worked also. So the fine bouquet of Hoppes was fairly ubiquitoutous.

There's a million dollars to be made here. Wish I were a chemist.

Growing up around garages, I'm partial to the delicate scent of gasoline with a hint of starting fluid, followed with some hot oil fumes and a bit of burnt rubber.

I like the smell of hot metal, as in being ground on a wheel, with subtle notes of old grease and, as you say, the delicate scent of leaded gasoline.

Last edited:
There's another good one too. And it crossed my mind immediately after the thought of a WD-40 aftershave did.

I associate WD-40 with an old Oliver tractor we had.

Hoppes? Well, I don't know where to start. I got my first rifle on my sixth Christmas. And then there was the S&W K-22 for my 16th birthday. My other grandpa had a radio & TV / army surplus / guns & ammo / locksmith shop where my dad, who was an avid hunter and re-loader, worked also. So the fine bouquet of Hoppes was fairly ubiquitoutous.

There's a million dollars to be made here. Wish I were a chemist.

I like the smell of hot metal, as in being ground on a wheel, with subtle notes of old grease and, as you say, the delicate scent of leaded gasoline.

I think you guys are on to something. I think next time I cut myself shaving, I am going to slap some duct tape on it, what could be more manly than than that!

I didn't get around to shaving today until mid-afternoon. Used Floid Blue for the first time in a while. Being out of Musgo Real, I mostly rotate Proraso Green, Floid Vigaroso, and Dominica Bay Rum.

Anyhow, I was puttering around a bit in the shop a bit shortly (before the Floid had entirely faded) when my wife poked her head in. More or less thinking out loud, I casually observed that I wasn't sure which I liked better, my favorite aftershaves or the distinctive scent of WD-40. Then it struck me, why hasn't anyone forumlated a WD-40 scented aftershave. What could be more manly than that?

Actually if you were to remove the solvent (mineral spirit) aroma/scent from WD-40 it would actually make for a very nice manly scent. I've always thought WD-40 smells pretty darn nice for something that hangs out on my garage workbench. You're onto something my friend :thumbup:

I have always thought clubmen original smelled like someone dropped a handful of talc in a bucket of gasoline.

I do like the Hoppes idea though.....

the delicate scent of gasoline with a hint of starting fluid, followed with some hot oil fumes and a bit of burnt rubber.

I would name that scent "De Soto". Starting fluid always reminds me of my grandfather trying to start his '55 De Soto on a bitter cold Wisconsin winter morning. He'd spray about half a can into the carb then try to turn it over. She'd pop and a ball of fire would shoot from the carb. He would then curse the name of Walter P. Chrysler, spray the rest of the can into the carb and would continue until he got her started, or blow the carb off.

Top Bottom