What's new

Shavecraft 102 - any better than the Merkur 37C?

Per title - is it worth me trying the shavecraft 102 or should I just stick with the good old reliable 37C?

Thanks,

R.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I don't consider it a slant, there doesn't seem to be any torsional "twist" to the blade like a Merkur, instead it appears to me like a flat razor with a skewed handle. Gillette slide style.

$lkon102.jpg

Really?

Doug, yes, really.
It's based on the Mulcuto slant, it's not a new design. So, the concept of a built-in Gillette slide has been around a long time, and it's always been considered a slant.

Not all slant razors twist the blade.

Oh, and it's a dang good razor, too.

Rmac if you want something better built than the Merkur ( my main reason for selling my 37c) then the 102 is a very mild tilt style slant. I get zero irritation with it and no blade alignment issues. It also benefits you by being able to do level cuts, sideburns, by just leaning the handle to center the head. Something I could not do with a torque/ twist head. I got the bulldog ikon handle, the little travel one seems useless for everyday shaving.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It's based on the Mulcuto slant, it's not a new design. So, the concept of a built-in Gillette slide has been around a long time, and it's always been considered a slant.

Not all slant razors twist the blade.

Thanks for clarifying this, I am fully aware that it is called a slant. I understand the differences after collecting a few German razors between the Schrägschnitt and a Torsionhobel.
My opinion that a true slant is a Torsionhobel is likely misguided.

Kabrand, Tondeo, and Mulcuto style razors never really caught on like the twisted blade for some reason. :001_huh:

I haven't used a 37c or similar slant that torques the blade, but I did get a 102 after about five months of using a DE89. The 102 gives me a better shave (much less tugging) and is slightly milder in my limited usage (this makes sense though, as there is about zero blade gap and relatively little blade exposure in the 102 head). I paired it with the stainless handle from shaving.ie and it looks and feels great. I can get a DFS in 2 passes or a near-BBS in three. It isn't a magic razor, but it's a definite improvement for me. If your 37c gives you good results I wouldn't be in a rush to switch, though I do love the cast aluminum construction of the 102.

I prefer the 102 over the 37c. I honestly sold my 37c after the 102 arrived. The quality is better, and I'm not a fan of a two piece design. They both shave great and are effective.

It is a great shaver! I find it much smoother and more comfortable than the Merkur 37C + 39C and the other slants I have tried.
This thing might just be as smooth as my DLCs! :blush:

I own both razors, along with a Gillette super slim, progress, and DE89. Can get great shaves out of all of them. But the ikon while not as efficient as the 37c gives me a less irritating shave. Though I have to do three passes with the 102. Would I say one is better then the other? No way, but I find myself going for the 102 a lot more lately.

Top Bottom