What's new

What's wrong with Mach 3 razors?

Carts are expensive, yes. And it will take awhile to "save" enough to recoup the expenses I've incurred by purchasing 11 or so vintage and new razors. As shaving has become "fun", I look at it as kind of like buying a new titanium driver or a custom .45 pistol. Buying razors is not like buying gasoline for my car or dental floss.

Multi-blades clog with stubble and quickly become useless unless I bang them on the sink edge to dislodge the gunk. Doing this causes the gunk to afix itself to nearby walls. And it often results in the plastic razor breaking. Gunk simply sluices off my DE.

I got nicks and weepers with carts, but they seemed tougher to staunch than DE cuts. And the light touch needed with a chrome-plated heavy brass implement does not cause irritation the way having to drag a plastic cart into my skin does.

Shaving with plastic is a chore. Shaving with a 1967 Slim is an event.

Carts with more than 2 blades are difficult to shave under the nose. The fusion helps with the 6th trimmer blade. Sensor and Trac II and most DE razors can get under the nose nicely. I can get nick free near BBS shaves with Mach III, Sensor XL, and Trac II. I can beat those shaves with a Merkur HD 34C and (Voskhod Teflon, Personna Lab, Personna Med or PolSilver SI). Likewise with a Gillette Tech. These DE shavers get under the nose perfectly. Shave quality depends much on technique. Carts are more tolerant of less than perfect technique. Use what works for you. Enjoy what you use.

Multi-blades clog with stubble and quickly become useless unless I bang them on the sink edge to dislodge the gunk.
Mine rinses quite easily. No more clogging than my DE razor.

I got nicks and weepers with carts, but they seemed tougher to staunch than DE cuts.
No nicks or weepers with a Gillette Trac II. Smooth and effortless.

Shaving with plastic is a chore.
Not here. Quick, easy and pleasant.

My Sensor and etc.'s only clogged when I used the canned whatever. If I do what I do now, my 'routine' of prepping and whipping up a good soap or cream, it doesn't happen. I assume it'd be the thickness of the gel or foam possibly?

Almost any safety razor can clog, which is why I keep the hot water running for frequent rinsing. Trac 2 heads are about as cheap as a DE blade. I have about a hundred of them in my closet. Used on the cheap and nicely balanced Bump Fighter handle, they work pretty good. I'm a Trac II fan.

For me, the Gillette Tech works even better with equally little prep. I suspect I'll use it as my primary razor until I die.

Mach 3 razors work well for me, but the heads run about $3 on up around here, and I saw little reason to pay that much - even more so now that I'm getting better quality shaves from a DE razor.

In discussing costs, one needs to distinguish between needed costs and hobby costs. I'm finding myself tempted to get a good example of a Tech razor and sending it in to be replated in rose gold...quite pretentious for a lowly Tech, but I think I'd get a kick out of reaching for it each morning. That would be a hobby cost. But for plain shaving ability, the $14 fat handle Tech that arrived the other day could last me my life and do the job fine.

I've given away razors to friends that might like them. My son likes the Merkur I gave him and will be content to use it as long as it lasts. He will never consider a razor a hobby, and never be tempted to have a razor replated. He has the Merkur & 50 Derby razors and he's happy with it. Someday he'll hit me up for another 50 razors. If the Merkur ever fails him, I should have a Tech by then that I can give him. For him, a DE razor is as cheap as it can get - free. But at $3/head, he'd have to buy his own Mach 3 cartridges...

for me the performance of the cart razors was never an issue, well thats not totally true i gut burnt alot but i wasnt preping the way i do now.
for me the process of shaving is something that links us. shaving is something my father dose, and his father did and his father and so on, shaving is a link to the past. shaving is about taking the time to make yourself presentable for your work, your family, your friends. shaving is part of a whole routine that makes you who you are, that special fragrance you use, its a time for reflection and contemplation, the reason you are that much more confidant and sure, the reason you get the promotion, the reason people look to you, its about improving and prioritizing.
for me i want nickle coated brass with history behind it, not a 400% markup for plastic. its a simple process that like anything mundane can take on meaning.
i use my 58' Gillette slim every day, however im working on a concession, ill use my straight on the weekends ;).

Last edited:
I'm blessed with wiskers, I'd shave everyday if I had an office job! For me it was the cost. That and I could never get a BBS shave with a cart! I do now with a DE.

well ever since this thread came up about the mach 3, i wanted to try one again, and seems how money hasnt been that tight these days spending the $9 bux on it was ok with me. im gonna use my same prep and routine tomorrow but switch out the de for the mach 3. its been such a long time since ive owned or used one and wanted to see how terrible, or how great of a shave i really get from it. just walking down that shaving isle tonight though, i bursted in laughter just looking at all the sales gimmicks and the outrageous carts that are available now. in a way i feel guilty shaving with my de, knowing guy after guy walks down that same isle and shakes his head while picking up his ridiculous expensive carts yet once again. i will shave with my de's till i hit the grave, this i know for sure. well anyhow gents, im going to give this mach 3 a fair chance tomorrow, and will see once and for all how it performs.

$CIMG5034.jpg

for me the performance of the cart razors was never an issue, well thats not totally true i gut burnt alot but i wasnt preping the way i do now.
for me the process of shaving is something that links us. shaving is something my father dose, and his father did and his father and so on, shaving is a link to the past. shaving is about taking the time to make yourself presentable for your work, your family, your friends. shaving is part of a whole routine that makes you who you are, that special fragrance you use, its a time for reflection and contemplation, the reason you are that much more confidant and sure, the reason you get the promotion, the reason people look to you, its about improving and prioritizing.
for me i want nickle coated brass with history behind it, not a 400% markup for plastic. its a simple process that like anything mundane can take on meaning.
i use my 58' Gillette slim every day, however im working on a concession, ill use my straight on the weekends ;).
very nice, well said.

well ever since this thread came up about the mach 3, i wanted to try one again, and seems how money hasnt been that tight these days spending the $9 bux on it was ok with me. im gonna use my same prep and routine tomorrow but switch out the de for the mach 3. its been such a long time since ive owned or used one and wanted to see how terrible, or how great of a shave i really get from it. just walking down that shaving isle tonight though, i bursted in laughter just looking at all the sales gimmicks and the outrageous carts that are available now. in a way i feel guilty shaving with my de, knowing guy after guy walks down that same isle and shakes his head while picking up his ridiculous expensive carts yet once again. i will shave with my de's till i hit the grave, this i know for sure. well anyhow gents, im going to give this mach 3 a fair chance tomorrow, and will see once and for all how it performs.

View attachment 524352
Oooh...did you see (on the package) that it has "nano thin blades"?

I'm quivering with excitement...must try cartridge...[dope slap]...oh, never mind...:blink:

Not going back there, ever again.

Don't let me discourage you from dancing with the devil..let us know how it goes!

I scored well today, the Israel TracII I used to buy (that disappeared), has suddenly reappeared! :thumbup1:
If you can find these lil buggers, I'd highly recommend scooping up what they have!
$20141129_224733.jpg

Attachments

• $20141129_224733.jpg
    $20141129_224733.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 65
My Sensor and etc.'s only clogged when I used the canned whatever. If I do what I do now, my 'routine' of prepping and whipping up a good soap or cream, it doesn't happen. I assume it'd be the thickness of the gel or foam possibly?

I agree. I shaved with a Trac II for years using a brush to make lather. It never clogged.

The notion that DE shaving costs less is baloney when one considers all the elements of the DE shaving "hobby".

Baloney?
I beg to differ.

Mühle DE razor plus 100 Astra blades about $60 = close to two years of shaving

Gillette Mach 3 blades run around $27 for 15.
So, for $60 you get slightly more than 30 Mach 3 cartridges - not even close to one year.
(Unless you want to argue that Mach 3 cartridges last considerably longer than DE blades, which was not my experience.)

The costs of shaving brush, soap/creams, etc. are the same whether you use a DE or Mach 3.

Math is no baloney.

Of course, when chore you dread becomes a task you enjoy, then you might be willing to spend some more money on it.
But that is a different story.

(Prices: Amazon.)

Last edited:
Baloney?
I beg to differ.

Mühle DE razor plus 100 Astra blades about $60 = close to two years of shaving

The costs of shaving brush, soap/creams, etc. are the same whether you use a DE or Mach 3.

Math is no baloney.

(Prices: Amazon.)
Gillette GII razor $9. 100 Personna GII cartridges $13. $22 total. (prices Amazon).

I win.

Will that be 1lb. of baloney, sir?

:001_tt2:

Last edited:
Oooh...did you see (on the package) that it has "nano thin blades"?

I'm quivering with excitement...must try cartridge...[dope slap]...oh, never mind...:blink:

Not going back there, ever again.

Don't let me discourage you from dancing with the devil..let us know how it goes!
And what is the asterisk under "shaves more closely"?!?!?! Lol

Gillette GII razor $9. 100 Personna GII cartridges $13. $22 total. (prices Amazon).

I win.

I think the difference here is how much pain you are willing to experience over then course of a blade. Great, carts are 13 dollars. I used to change my cart every 3 months.

By the end my face was torn up and I had to grow a beard. So, given you are willing to hurt, go ahead.. Oh, but wait..

So I would need 4 packs a year, which comes out to 52 dollars. Where am I saving money!?

EDIT: In addition, the GII is not even a mid grade razor, which can't be said about the MUHLE.

Last edited:

I win.

Gillette tech DE razor purchased from eBay $7. 100 DE razor blades (super max) from Amazon $8. Total $15. DE still cheaper (and better).

Top Bottom