What's new

Gillette probably didn't expected that on their Facebook :D

This definitively belongs here.

Dated from November 17 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/gillette

proxy.php

Last edited:
I would say that being blocked by the modern Gillette would be something of a badge of honor. What did it take and how do I do it?

I agree, commence mithering procedures :lol:.

I'd put BBMG in my signature for Blocked By Modern Gillette.

Unfortunately, Gillette's largest profits currently come from developing markets where it's not that easy to obtain a good DE razor and other wet shaving gear locally (Latin America, India and China),

I saw this a few days ago on Facebook and had a good chuckle reading the comments.

I'm a new DE shaver. No more overpriced, ineffective cartridges for me.

Gillette would likely profit were they to embrace the old, superior tech and come out with a "Gillette Historical Collection" or something like that featuring new Gillette safety razors and a line of quality products. Guitar companies do it all the time, probably half the guitars made today are copies of the old stuff.

I don't get paid the marketing big bucks though, so what do I know? (Besides the fact that a DE razor is better.)

Think Gillette will.notice and do something?

I doubt it.

Gillette realized a long time ago that the biggest profits don't come from selling a single razor, but rather from selling many blades for that razor.

DE's are well made and a regular new Gillette DE should cost as much as $100. Then, over the course of ten years Gillette could sell an average consumer 1,000 DE blades at most, at a cost of about $500 on the high end. So, $600 in 10 years.

Alternatively, they can continue to sell a cheap razor for $10. Then sell that consumer 520 blades over ten years for a cost of $2,300. Even if the average Joe uses only 1 Fusion cartridge per month, Gillette still makes more money from the blades over ten years than by selling a pricey DE ($540).

It doesn't make good shaving sense to use a cartridge, but Proctor Gamble isn't in the shaving business they are in the profit making business.

(To be fair, I doubt any of us "more informed" types are actually saving any money:lol:)

The sad part is that Gillette is responding to the comments about the 1904 and pushing the new Fusion but they keep getting slapped down by the DE crowd. Great find.

Very true!! Although a bulk of my purchases are soft products like soaps and aftershaves, which Gillette wouldn't see money on either way!

That's an excellent point sire. Why don't they produce shaving soaps, creams or a variety of after shaves ? They don't want you to have choices, they don't want you to think about what you are buying, they want you to pick the cheap crap on the shelf and open your wallet.

Last edited:
This is a very pleasant event. I bet that this post will allow thousands of people to become aware of DE shaving who had never imagined that the older technology was viable and better in this day and age. Wouldn't be surprised if it brings reasonable numbers of newbies into the fold.

Top Bottom