What's new

Getting "Nicks" with Square Point

Oaky Guys looking for advice, recently picked up a square point Cattaraugus and the shave seems pretty good as in no pulling or tugging, was sold as shave ready but initially pulled some so I did a few passes on the finisher stone and then did 30/60 with linen/leather and this has been my 3rd shave today, well as I said it's a square point and on a few occasions I have nicked myself with the point and not sure how to go about not doing this, I briefly thought about blunting the point but then I said no you have to learn, the other two straights I have are rounded points and no issues so looking for suggestions.

Here she is:

$IMG_1862.jpg

I hate to sound like a jerk but, . . . .

. . . Be more careful! These razors each have a way of highlighting (in red) and correcting our mistakes, don't they?

All that is required is gently rubbing the point on tje bottom of a glass. Done! I use my shaving mirror.

I hate to sound like a jerk but, . . . .

. . . Be more careful! These razors each have a way of highlighting (in red) and correcting our mistakes, don't they?

I honestly hate muting the point, I am sure back in the day that's not what they did and Imarkow I appreciate your honesty and you don't sound like a jerk, buca if I chose to gently rub the point to take away the edge how tough is it to get back, all I have is a finish stone and a balsa wood strop and of course my regular leather strop

If you choose to mute the point and use that method, the next time you hone the razor (It's back). I usually mute my points as described as the ATG pass on my left neck brings the point in contact with my jawline. BTW nice razor!

I mute the points. I don't think I really need to but I'd rather have a little extra assurance that I'm not going to walk around for a few days with a red line on my face or my ear. Actually I got more cuts with my first straight, a round-point dovo best, than with all my square-point razors combined.

Think Beard Reduction with each razor pass and no pressure. When you press the square point into your skin blood usually flows. Just relax and enjoy the shave. Being in a hurry while S.R. shaving has bad consequences.

Think Beard Reduction with each razor pass and no pressure. When you press the square point into your skin blood usually flows. Just relax and enjoy the shave. Being in a hurry while S.R. shaving has bad consequences.

Never in a hurry, usually do 3 pass 4 in some spots. First one is straight down WTG N/S then second is kinda a E/W ATG down to my jawline and I even stretch the skin to bring the jawline hair up then I do my third ATG on my neck and up to the bottom of the jawline and this is where I usually get nicked as my neck hair grows in some funky directions so I try twisting the blade in alot of different directions ATG/WTG/XTG and thats where the point has bitten me, don't seem to have an issue with the round point but then my neck is even an issue with DE/SE razors but due to the smaller head I can get a better shave on my neck area but not even close to being as good as the straight everywhere else.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I mute points too. Properly done, it is difficult to see and it works well. The bevel should be ground at a 45-degree angle, no wider than the bevel itself. Any wider does not contribute anything IMO.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_1660.jpg
    $IMG_1660.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 119
Steve, I suggested this in another thread from the OP and he said he wasn't interested in doing this.

FWIW You can "glass" just the very point as well, or run it over your finishing stone with a rocking motion on the very tip and it'll be less likely to cut.

I like the sharp points. They force me to concentrate on what I'm doing and make me pay in blood if I neglect it. To me shaving very much is focusing and letting go of everything else, I believe some call it Zen. Anyhow it's a relaxing start of what too often is a stressful workday.
Regards
Polarbeard

Count me in the spike point and heal group as well. I actually find it challenging to maintain perfect spike points and heels on smiling blades. If you rock a degree or two too far when honing the point gets a microscopic radius.

Last edited:
I have been having alot better luck and decided not to do anything to the point except be more careful and pay more attention.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have been having alot better luck and decided not to do anything to the point except be more careful and pay more attention.

Paying attention always pays off with a straight! Also be sure to get a good stretch, that helps with those un muted squares too.

Cheers, Steve

Paying attention always pays off with a straight! Also be sure to get a good stretch, that helps with those un muted squares too.

Cheers, Steve

This is one of my lessons learned. I have been very focused on the point around the ear and jaw line, and result are no red highlights. But just this AM I was complacent on the cheek. I was focusing on the middle blade working near the mouth, and forgetting the point. It got me in the cheek just above the jaw line. If I had a 27 year old face, this would not have happened. But my 57 year old face needs a bit of stretch in order to prevent it.

Nicks from a square point are caused by the toe digging in (natch).
The causes of this are the flesh wrapping around it (you need to extend your skin stretching past the toe) or lifting the razor heel/tang first (which you just have to get out of the habit of doing).

Top Bottom