What's new

GSW First Aid

I was wondering if there is a course out there for civilians for treating GSW, and if so if anyone on here had taken one? If so why?

Please no comments along the likes of "my finger is my safety" "If I shot him why would I resuscitate him" etc...

Several of the locale CCW instructors offer a basic GSW class off appx 2hrs.

Yes

Why not take it

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am a patrol/admin sergeant with my department. I am a first line supervisor in charge of patrol, shift scheduling, equipment, man power, field training program, officer discipline and training for my division.

While every cadet who graduates their academy gets basic, emergency first aid. Newly badged officers with our department who make it thru their 6 month FTO and 1st year rookie status, have to run a gauntlet of continued, advanced training in many things including, tactical pistol, tactical shotgun, tactical rifle, advanced driving for emergency vehicles and tactical first responder which is emergency first aid is one of these.

It is a very intense and stressful class. probably more so, than many of the others. Mainly because it requires the actual ability to stay calm and think. Unlike many of the other skills which can be "trained and ingrained" is how we like to say it, or just react thru training.

Many civilians would be surprised that many departments find some of the best training programs who actually cater to not only law enforcement, but teach the public also. Most civilians who are willing to pay & travel, can find the exact same training as police officers.

http://www.covered6.com/tacticalfirstresponder.htm
http://www.emsworld.com/article/10770951/police-first-aid
http://www.teamspartan.com/teamspar...NCY_SELF_AID_FOR_LAW_ENFORCEMENT_OFFICERS.htm

I didn't see it directly mentioned yet, but tourniquets are back in style and I completely agree with it. The modern versions are very quick, easy, you can apply it to yourself, and having one nearby is comforting. Gone are the days of anti-tourniquet training. If you go to a training that is anti-tourniquet, the training is outdated and you need to take another class that isn't teaching the same old things.

Another advantage of GSW training and supplies is that it can be applied to more things than just GSW's. Have a person cut their leg with a chainsaw? No problem!

I didn't see it directly mentioned yet, but tourniquets are back in style and I completely agree with it. The modern versions are very quick, easy, you can apply it to yourself, and having one nearby is comforting. Gone are the days of anti-tourniquet training. If you go to a training that is anti-tourniquet, the training is outdated and you need to take another class that isn't teaching the same old things.

Another advantage of GSW training and supplies is that it can be applied to more things than just GSW's. Have a person cut their leg with a chainsaw? No problem!

+1

As a law enforcement officer who was put through EMT training, and certified in teaching care under fire situation classes, the tourniquet is the fastest and most secure way to stop a bleed on an extremity (not your head). With modern medicine they can be on up to 6 hours and still save the limb (never remove your own). For anything on the chest an occlusive bandage. Anything else either an Israeli Bandage or other pressure dressing/wound packing. Google IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit) and those small packs should be enough to survive until more advanced care can get to you.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The beauty of the IBD (Israeli Battle Dressing) is its utility as a strong compression dressing that can be applied one handed with practice and provide a tourniquet-like function. Not a true tourniquet mind you, but close.

Top Bottom