What's new

Please recommend a DSLR.

First off, do you have any old film SLR cameras/lenses? Some never changed the mount so that can put you ahead of the game if you already have lenses.

I'm partial to Nikon because I shot Nikon since the late 80's and had the glass. In that price range I would head to best buy and handle a few, play with menus, look at button configuration, etc. Also, KEH.com is an excellent place to buy used.

I will post more thoughts on this later, after work. But, what and how do you like to shoot? What do you want to shoot? Subject/style?

Last edited:
I have a Nikon d5100 and love it. My sister bought the Nikon d3200 and love's hers. I first considered the d3200 but when I went into the hhgregg to hold and compare(not to buy. Get better deal online) I decided to go with the one that was more comfortable to hold. They both can come in a package with the 18-55mm kit lens. I bought a 55-300mm zoom to go along with my kit. My sister bought the 55-200mm zoom and a 50mm fixed lens. My next lens will be either the 35 or 50 fixed. The kit zoom lens are good but the fixed lens are great for low light and portraits. I hope this helps.

First off, do you have any old film SLR cameras/lenses? Some never changed the mount so that can put you ahead of the game if you already have lenses.

I'm partial to Nikon because I shot Nikon since the late 80's and had the glass. In that price range I would head to best buy and handle a few, play with menus, look at button configuration, etc. Also, KEH.com is an excellent place to buy used.

I will post more thoughts on this later, after work. But, what and how do you like to shoot? What do you want to shoot? Subject/style?

Yes I have a film lens that came with my old Canon Rebel SLR (film). I'll be shooting mostly outside and during the day. I am not sure if that helps.

Noah, go to Samys and do some browsing.
id actually recommend a Panasonic lumix or Olympus as starter.
fixed lenses, but great sensors and good glass.

Yes I have a film lens that came with my old Canon Rebel SLR (film). I'll be shooting mostly outside and during the day. I am not sure if that helps.

Your eos Rebel lenses should mount to modern Canon dslr. Check out the T3i. Good little rig. I'm not a Canon guy so I'm not up on all their specs, but I know a few people who have them and like them.

I will say that in your price range, new cameras, these are all going to be extremely competitive. Specs will likely be so close between brands and models that it almost doesn't matter. IQ is extremely good with them as well. The difference is going to be the glass, menu configuration and button layout. Even if you don't know what all the buttons do or are for, can you reach them easily and adjust with out taking your eye from the view finder?

Some differences, the Nikon entry level cameras are a bit different from the higher end stuff, they don't have focus motors in the body so to use auto focus you need to have AF-S type lenses. Non AF-S lenses will still mount and meter, there is also a focus indicator in the view finder so you can still use them just as fast and accurately as an AF-S lens, but with manual focus.

Also, your film lens will have a 1.6 times narrower field of view on the digital because the sensor is smaller than a frame of 135 film. So a 50mm film camera lens will be like a 78mm lens. Which is a wonderful focal length for portraits!

I do know that the Canon 75-300 is about the worst lens ever made by canon and the 55-250 is far superior. The 18-55 kit lens is nice and sharp though. So you could have a two lens "street sweeper" rig from 18 out to 250 for nearly anything. I always recommend a 50mm prime lens, in fact I own one for every camera I own that have changeable lenses.

Where are you located? If near me, I'd let you try some of mine out, but don't hold me accountable if you shoot and fall in love with my Leica and decide to buy one, lol!

I have always used Canon and have an older Rebel and it's a nice camera, certainly above my skill level. However if buying new, the specs on the Nikon sensor blow away the Canon.

I think, like knives, it's more important to get the ergonomics right. Try both at a store. Which feels right? Which controls are more intuitive to you?

I have typically been a Nikon guy, having had a D70S, D90, D5100 and finally a D7000 before it finally dawned on me that full-sized DSLRs are just too heavy and cumbersome to have with you when on vacation. I took my D7000 and two lenses with me to Paris and then to Ottawa this past summer and I ended up leaving it all at the hotel most of the time. When I got back home, I sold it all and bought an Olympus OM-D E-M10 micro four thirds camera. It's freaking tiny compared to a full DLSR. I can fit the camera and three lenses in a quarter of the space used b the D7000 and two lenses.

When it really comes down to it, just walk in to a camera shop, ignore the salesperson, pick up each of the cameras on display and get a good feel for them. And keep in mind the cost of lenses.

I will say that in your price range, new cameras, these are all going to be extremely competitive. Specs will likely be so close between brands and models that it almost doesn't matter. IQ is extremely good with them as well. The difference is going to be the glass, menu configuration and button layout. Even if you don't know what all the buttons do or are for, can you reach them easily and adjust with out taking your eye from the view finder?

Some differences, the Nikon entry level cameras are a bit different from the higher end stuff, they don't have focus motors in the body so to use auto focus you need to have AF-S type lenses. Non AF-S lenses will still mount and meter, there is also a focus indicator in the view finder so you can still use them just as fast and accurately as an AF-S lens, but with manual focus.

Also, your film lens will have a 1.6 times narrower field of view on the digital because the sensor is smaller than a frame of 135 film. So a 50mm film camera lens will be like a 78mm lens. Which is a wonderful focal length for portraits!

I do know that the Canon 75-300 is about the worst lens ever made by canon and the 55-250 is far superior. The 18-55 kit lens is nice and sharp though. So you could have a two lens "street sweeper" rig from 18 out to 250 for nearly anything. I always recommend a 50mm prime lens, in fact I own one for every camera I own that have changeable lenses.

Where are you located? If near me, I'd let you try some of mine out, but don't hold me accountable if you shoot and fall in love with my Leica and decide to buy one, lol!

I wouldn't trust me with your Leica either!

First off, I have been using Nikon SLRs since 1968. I switched to digital with the D90. I am an admitted Nikon bigot.

For your budget I'd recommend a Nikon D3200, D5100, or D5200. The 18-55mm lens is a nice starting lens. These cameras are easy to use in automatic mode. You can switch into almost any manual mode you can desire. They shoot jpeg and raw formats. (compressed and uncompressed)

Go to a camera store and play with all three. Check out the specifications to see which match your needs. Price them carefully. There is a lot of markup involved with a camera purchase.

Have fun!

I shoot Canon and would recommend looking at a Canon body since you already have some Canon glass. I think they have some of the best bargain lenses out there like the Canon 50 1.8 at around $100 and the Canon 40mm pancake at around $150. You could get a refurb semi pro body Canon 60d for around $400. Just remember that lenses are the things that should be invested in since they hold their value while camera bodies rapidly depreciate. Heck you could go with a used Canon 40D for around $200 and spend the rest on quality glass.
Here is a link to the 60D a couple years old but a quality camera.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...-digital-slr-cameras/eos-60d-body-refurbished

Mirror-less may be another option. Their image quality is now on-par with Dslrs. They are a lot smaller and more convenient, and usually offer a higher frame per second because there is no mirror. I definitely see mirror-less cameras being the future of photography. Sony is making some amazing full frame pro bodies and quite a few pros are starting to make the switch to mirrorless(example being the A7 with the A72 just announced).

I'm considering a switch to Olympus because of the convenient size, selection of quality lenses(for a decent price), and in-camera stabilization. You could get a really nice mirror-less camera like the Olympus PL5 for 300.00 used https://www.keh.com/361052/olympus-pen-e-pl5-black-digital-camera-body-16-m-p

I shoot Canon and would recommend looking at a Canon body since you already have some Canon glass. I think they have some of the best bargain lenses out there like the Canon 50 1.8 at around $100 and the Canon 40mm pancake at around $150. You could get a refurb semi pro body Canon 60d for around $400. Just remember that lenses are the things that should be invested in since they hold their value while camera bodies rapidly depreciate. Heck you could go with a used Canon 40D for around $200 and spend the rest on quality glass.
Here is a link to the 60D a couple years old but a quality camera.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...-digital-slr-cameras/eos-60d-body-refurbished

Mirror-less may be another option. Their image quality is now on-par with Dslrs. They are a lot smaller and more convenient, and usually offer a higher frame per second because there is no mirror. I definitely see mirror-less cameras being the future of photography. Sony is making some amazing full frame pro bodies and quite a few pros are starting to make the switch to mirrorless(example being the A7 with the A72 just announced).

I'm considering a switch to Olympus because of the convenient size, selection of quality lenses(for a decent price), and in-camera stabilization. You could get a really nice mirror-less camera like the Olympus PL5 for 300.00 used https://www.keh.com/361052/olympus-pen-e-pl5-black-digital-camera-body-16-m-p

Except the Canon lens mount changed at one point so depending on if the lenses he has are EF mount or not, it wouldn't matter if he bought a Canon or a Nikon or an Olympus or etc...

I think the older lenses from his older Rebel film SLR should work. IIRC, only FD lenses won't work properly on newer bodies.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The older Rebels used EF lenses. No rebel bodies were made for FD glass.

The suggestion for the 60D seems to be a good one. I am still shooting everything from razors to high school sports to magazine submissions with a 10mp 40D.

How is the video (shooting 1080p) on the new Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras?

It’s good. I mean, the picture quality is excellent but there’s inherent issues you have to work with and unless they’ve fixed then since my 5D MKII came out, it’s still going to be an issue.

The first is the jello effect. Quick panning from left to right makes the image look like jello. It’s because the sensors scan top to bottom and they’re so large compared to conventional digital video camera sensors. I know that the micro 4/3 cameras had less of this effect because of the smaller sensor. If you’re not panning quickly it’s not an issue and there’s apparently software that can fix this in post. I just ordered a Nikon D750 and a review I read said that the jello effect is minimal but that’s a camera by camera basis.

Moiré could be an issue with certain lenses and cameras.

DOF. How can Depth of Field be an issue? Well its way too shallow on most DSLRs unless you stop down the lenses and then you need high ISO or a lot of light. It looks pretty at first until you realize that if your subject moves the slightest bit, they’re out of focus. I use my modeling lights on my Dynalite strobes for the last couple videos I’ve done and they’ve worked adequately.

Those are probably the biggest ones I can think of. The video still looks great and as long as you know how to work around the differences in these cameras or just don’t care, then it’s a non-issue. The thing is, these are really mirrorless and DSLR issues, so either brand will have them.

The only thing brand specific to keep an eye out for is recording frame rates. Canon was the leader in DSLR video for a while so if you look at used cameras, the earlier Canon cameras generally have more options in recording modes like 1080p/30/25/23.97 720p/60/30/25/24.97. IIRC 30fps is what TV is shot at, 24&25 is movie speed and gives you that film stutter you’ll notice every time you watch a movie after the first time you see it ;) and 60 lets you cut down to 30fps and do very smooth slo-mo videos. The newer Nikon cameras have the same options as the Canons…or at least should.

I hope that was some help and not too much needless info. :D

Top Bottom